It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some people just CAN'T do well in certain school subjects.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I understand where ur coming from on this OP I have weak math skills as well and when I was in school I was told my teachers that I was "just too lazy to do the work" although I ran Bs and Cs in most other subjects but yet I was to lazy to study math? bulls# bottom line was the math teacher didnt want to put in the time or effort outside of class to help any students.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I always got D's in math after the 5th grade. I just couldn't get it, mainly because I thought it was boring. :S

But all math really is following a set of instructions. There's a formula to solving every math equation, you just have to memorize it.. Then practice and practice. You can never get a math problem wrong if you know HOW to solve it. It's a mind over matter sort of thing.

Try teaching your kid mnemonics and then apply them to math equations.
en.wikipedia.org...

The most popular mathematics one in the USA at least is PLEASE EXCUSE MY DEAR AUNT SALLY or PEMDAS. For the order of operations... now if I never learned that I'd NEVER remember the order of operations ;P

en.wikipedia.org...

All math comes down to is memorizing a certain task and doing it in a timely manner.
edit on 2/1/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You know, it is really funny, I had this very conversation with my best friend last night. We are both working our way laboriously up to Calculus, and we are having anxiety symptoms very similar to yours. I loaded up on a courseload this term that has me doing 30+hours of math a week.

I'm a shaky wreck some days; and after a test, I always reek of animal terror.

My anxiety stems from an overbearing awareness that the smallest error will render ten minutes of work useless. I really, really hate that. It makes me feel like a trapped wolverine, just gnawing on my own leg as I go over and over my work.

It's strangely comforting to read other member's experiences with the Math Fear.

edit on 1-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: -2x + 1/2y(4x *7)= AAAHHHHHHHHHH!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
After reading all of the responses in this thread, a conclusion of sorts begins to show its ugly face:

BAD TEACHERS = WORSE STUDENTS

its a known fact, the system does not cater to everyone, not all learn using the same method, fact is, there is not enough time in RL school situations where a teacher can sit one on one with the student and iron out every doubt.

I had the same problems, they said , this goes here and then this goes there and then this is the result, I was like, what the hell is this! WHY! where do they come from, why do we carry it, why do we pass it around? what is going ON!

I flunked math plenty of times, while doing great at chemistry and physics, and everything else, well, it resulted my math teacher sucked like an infant in his people skills, and most importantly his pedagogic methods.

So I had the good fortune of finding a competent teacher, and upon paying my fee, I "enjoyed" some one on one and took my time to understand, I wasn't paying attention and didn't have any interest at all in the subject, as my argument was-"I'm getting a communications degree, what this gotta do with me?

Well, the only thing it had to do with me was that it was a prerequisite, so I changed my attitude and gave it a chance, and got a wonderful C, passed the test and went from there!

Attitude is everything, and a good teacher! don't say you cant because you really wont be able to, we program ourselves with the things we say and we believe what we repeat ourselves over and over, really unqualified people have passed and excelled at maths, and neither were better than any of us!

edit on 1-2-2012 by TheOneEyedProphet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Calculus is amazing. It's statistics I hate, that subject was boring.

You don't need teachers to learn. They just use text books. Try skipping out the middle man (teacher). I promise, you might actually learn something.
edit on 1-2-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm a teacher. I've taught for more than ten years, every subject. I have advanced degrees in both subject area and educational theory. I'm stating this not to brag, but so that you have my cv.

People do NOT learn the same way. Nor do we have the same abilities, opportunities, etc.

I made a thread on this a few years ago. "Determining Your Learning Style" More info here if you are interested.

One poster hit it spot on. Math is more about the thinking process, logic, than about actually doing math. After all, when was the last time you need to use that trig equation? Or know the circumfrence of a circle? Or the formula for determing the volume of prism?

No doubt these are useful things to know....in certain fields. For the rest of us, we'll most likely never use the info again. And if we do need it....that's what google is for. Simply plug it in and let technology hand you the answer.

Now, logical thinking IS important for everyone. Once you learn how to solve a problem by logically approaching it, then you've learned something you'll use the rest of your life. Mathematical thought (and to a certain extent, scientific thought) is inherently logical.

Mathematical teaching in the US is currently undergoing a massive revolution. We no longer teach "one way" to find the answer, but instead try to show that there are multiple paths to the right answer. An analogy I use with my students is going to Walmart. Lots of roads, shortcuts, etc. but as long as I end up at Walmart, how I got there doesn't matter.

The Khan Academy is wonderful. Also look up Singapore Math. They focus on getting students to understand and easily manipulate the base 10 system. This is fundational; algebra and higher math builds upon it.

Another point: people mature in their reasoning skills at different rates. However, the frontal lobe of the brain isn't fully developed until around age 25....and the frontal lobe is crucial in math. This is why a lot of folks who never felt comfortable in math during their younger days suddenly begin to understand as they get older. I know this applied to me. I was terrible in math, hated math all through my high school and college career. In fact, I picked my first undergrad degree based on the fact that I wouldn't need math, just philosophy. However, I went back and studied math as a graduate student, around 25...and found it made sense. Sometimes it really is a question of mental maturity.

One last piece of trivia, and I'll quit. Folks who are great in algebra tend to struggle with geometry, and vice versa. That's because algebra and geometry are completely different thought processes. Geometry involves spatial sense and awareness, while algebra is more logical. I'm fairly decent with algebra, and absolutely horrid at geometry. I'm also terrible with spatial skills, and I constantly get lost in my own hometown (I swear this is true),

Hope this didn't come out sounding pompous, it wasn't meant that way at all. Just know a lot of folks struggle with math, that you can develop your math skills, there are multiple learning styles and finding yours might help. Good luck with your college courses, and tell your child there is hope!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Still can NOT get over khan academy. I've been sending that site to EVERYONE I know.

Even a poster a few posts up I just u2u'd the information.

I really super think I'll get a B or even an A in my math classes now! And I've NEVER EVER said this before. I love this site you all gave me. It's........ making math fun. Easy. Understandable. I get it. I GET IT. I know some areas will be odd but heck. He explains SO well that you can't help but get it.

Even my son is hyped about it and can't wait to check it out.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

and that is all there is, we learn different and have different interests, but the systemic approach to learning that we abuse, believes we all come from the same assembly line, and while that might be part of the "mediocre reality" we are all different, and develop skills at different rates.

But in the end, once certain physical conditions are met its up to us to decide what we wish to learn or ignore!

good luck to everyone at maths!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I feel you OP!

I have pretty much the same problem, but in french.

90% and up in everything except I was having a hard time with french so much, that I got kicked out of college.
I never taught that was fair because I wasn't planing on using language skills in what I was aiming for anyway, I know my potential.

It's like, why should everyone be good in the same things?
Why must everyone be good in math, language and science?

I bet a lot of gifted people have one flaw or another, a blind man will have better hearing for example

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm starting math on sunday feb 26.

Not only do i have to learn a TON of keyboard shortcuts to do the problems, they REQUIRE everyone to get no less than a B else you fail.

Talk about bs pressure. THAT is ridiculous beyond reason. It really makes me angry having that pressure on top of this.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't know about everyone else, but from my experience from back when I was in school, I believe it all has to do with 2 things, HOW you're being taught, and if you're interested in it or not. If it's not FUN, and you feel like you're forced to learn something cuz you HAVE to, and you have no interest in it, then you prolly won't get it. I loved math, but one year of algebra I got bad grade, couldn't get it, teacher was boring, etc. next year of algebra, teacher was fun and taught it in such an interesting & fun WAY that I GOT it & got good grade. I used to HATE history & science, boring. Now that I'm an adult my interests have changed & the history channel helped!!!!! Now I LOVE history & science, and if only I could go back now I'd get good grades in those! Being young & uninterested in anything but parties friends, etc has a lot to do with grades. The teens that do get good grades already have the interest & care. Or some could do both, party & get good grades, great multitaskers! I never tried nor cared & got mostly b's, but boy, now that I DO care, man I could go be valedictorian! ah, where's my time machine.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Hello again,

If you have an iPad, Khan maths just released a new app. I don't have an iPad so I can't give you an opinion, but it's getting good reviews in education circles.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Because they are still teaching math they way they have done for 150 years.

That is why females have such trouble with it. it is outdated and adapted to boys.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I understand. Same thing happened to me. Although it's an over-used excuse, I had very uninspiring teachers. Because of my mathophobia I limited my career. Things were not open for me because I couldn;t hack the math.

But then to strange things happened.

1. I had to take a statistucs class to graduate. Naturally I chose the social sciences class, taught by a very old professor of sociology named Robert E. Lee Farris. A kindly gentleman he told us, "Never be scared of formulas. The bigger they are the more work they do for you." We spent the term caclulating standard deviations for national League Baseball batting averages. he made it fun.

2. I got into comuter programming and tackled projects that forced me to learn regression equations. There was no other choice. That program was not going to work unless I mastered the tasks required.

And I did. And it turned out math wasn't all that hard after all. I wish I had had that epiphany a lot earlier in my life. It just did not happen that way. It's too late for me, but you two can change, too, if you want to.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Can sympathize with your situation. I'm very mathematically challenged. On anything over the basic add subtract multiply divide. I actually lucked out when I was in High School and got to trade Algebra for Science. So, I've survived without knowing anything about Algebra. A friend of mine took math all the way up to Trigonometry and never used any of it afterward. So you and your son are not alone and take it with a grain of salt as an example of my friend. Who is very good at math.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
For me it's like I have mathamatical dislexia. I think it exists too.
My head does not calculate numbers.
I may get a few numbers in place but then when I try to put a few more in it all gets jumbled and lost.
Numbers become other numbers.

If I write things down and use a calculater I may grasp what it is i'm doing but any mind work is ineffective.

I can only compare it to word/letter dislexia, though I have no experiance in that, infact my reading and writing skills are pretty good.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
For me it's like I have mathamatical dislexia. I think it exists too.
My head does not calculate numbers.
I may get a few numbers in place but then when I try to put a few more in it all gets jumbled and lost.
Numbers become other numbers.

If I write things down and use a calculater I may grasp what it is i'm doing but any mind work is ineffective.

I can only compare it to word/letter dislexia, though I have no experiance in that, infact my reading and writing skills are pretty good.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

YES!

I cant believe im reading someone else having the same problem as me and describing it the SAME way!!

I have struggled with math since a kid. I too have what I have always called "math dislexia". For example, if someone verbally gives me a phone number and I go to write it down, I get the numbers mixed up...even if I repeat it. If someone gives me directions somewhere, I can remember it w/out ever writing it down. If I have to add a lot of numbers in my head, I cant because I cant keep the numbers lined up straight. If I have to take money from someone and give change and do the calucation in my head....I cant. Numbers litteraly get all lost and messed up in my head. I get anxiety if im in a situation where I need to calucuate something in my head on the spot....

I also have called it a "math learning dissorder" because no matter how much I try, no matter the professor teaching me....the problem comes down to me working the numbers in my head and keeping them straight.

I have near a 4.0 gpa (in my first degree and the 2nd one im working on now)....

Im not sure if it is the teaching....I have had a zillion different teachers/professors in my lifetime and it is literally a problem in my head....
I am not wired for math.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join