It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some people just CAN'T do well in certain school subjects.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
My son and I share the same issues with Math. No amount of being preached at, taught, tutored, hand held- NOTHING- lets either of us grasp math past division and the basics of pre Algebra (like 2a + 3 = ? when A is 3). That's easy. The rest? Nope.

So that saying, he and I both got and are getting low D's in math. I'm in college, he's a Jr in HS. It's like the teachers call and are like, "Your son isn't doing well in math, blah blah'. It got to the point after me telling them for YEARS that 'no, it's not that he doesn't do his homework, it's not that he doesn't pay attention in class, it's not that we haven't tried tutor after tutor after tutor to no avail: my kid just sucks at math." I'm the same way. Give me math and I hyperventilate, get hot and cold at the same time, panic, start shaking, get enraged and cry and want to kill everyone ever. Give me a tutor, and after about 3 hours on one problem, I'll get how to do it, leave the tutor, go right to class and bam. Forgot everything ever and am back to square one. I got D's and F's from 6th grade til I graduated high school. Now in college I'm facing that demon again.

Point is, I dislike how schools think every single kid can get C or up grades in every single class. My son has A+ in the highest Science classes possible in that school - they put him in the most advanced of advanced and he knows everything there is to know before they even get done talking about it. He's far from a low acheiving student. Just he can't do math. Doesn't get it. Impossible. So why do schools think every single kid ever is able to get every single class ever 'as long as they apply themselves'. Screw that. Seriously. If there is something you can not get, then you can not get it. He applies to the point he's so stressed out. It's not right or fair of anyone to think everyone can get great grades in school in every class ever.

Ugh. Just had to let that out. Been pissing me off for ages now.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Give me a tutor, and after about 3 hours on one problem, I'll get how to do it, leave the tutor, go right to class and bam. Forgot everything ever and am back to square one.

This right here ^ is what happens to me. I go to tutors and "learn" but when it's time for a test... I forget everything. I just CAN'T do math.

I've been through the same thing both of you have, and I can honestly say that I understand your frustration.

Just wanted to post to let you know you're not alone, good luck to you and may the Math Fairy visit you someday

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You sound a lot like me. We're even in the same age range by the sounds of it. You're in college with a teenager and mine is just a little younger than yours. It's a real pain isn't it? If I may, let me share what my Pre-Algebra teacher told me last year. Hopefully it helps when I take the class a second time this Summer.

What she told me is that Algebra isn't about teaching math for the vast majority of people. After all, I'm crowding 40 and I've yet to ever see a real live algebra problem of any kind outside of a classroom...and I've certainly had a wide variety of experiences. What she said was that outside of those who pursue math heavy careers, it's about teaching a way of thinking and critical problem solving (literally, not math). I suppose it makes some sense...and I sure wasn't having much success with approaching it as if it were simply an extension of basic math.
Maybe that perspective helps a bit? I'll scream if I have to take it a 3rd time.... Ugh.. Math was never my strong suit either.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I sucked at math too and I am sure there are plenty of others.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Math is a hard subject to tackle, but my experience was once I grasped the fundamentals, algebra became fun, like a game or puzzle. What helped me was starting at the beginning, in remedial math, then taking each term consecutively, so as not to lose what ya just learned, cuz for some reason it doesn't want to stick well. Then the one thing that made it click and stick was doing crazy amounts of practice problems. The teacher handed out many, but I got a practice book and went online to practice equation after equation and it started flowing.
Of course the key is understanding the fundamentals, which because they seem to not make sense to a beginner, they are hard to conceptualize. As mentioned a tutor is important, but man do they differ. I guess just like teachers, some have a better gift of conveyance.
Link1

Good luck,
spec

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It really all depends on the context in which it is taught. You can learn a lot more than you give yourself credit for. I always zoned out when it came to math so I know what you are talking about. If I actually took an interest and studied it maybe I would have done better. In college I was taking Pre-Cal and my brain said see you later because this is boring. I eventually dropped the class. I picked up Pre-Cal for business and the very same content expressed in interesting and practical real life terms made all the difference. It made sense and I got an A. I'm not saying it was easy. The same for Statistics.

Unless you have a brain for straight up math teaching it that way wont work. They have to adjust it somehow to reach everyone.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Every single human has the same hardware, what changes is the "software" if some people are "good" or "bad" at math or whatever is because they aren't internalizing certain signals and giving precedence to others.

You saying that you are bad at math, and then telling that your son is also doing bad at math reeks of implanted thoughts and concepts.

Ever heard that we "create" our reality with our minds? sometimes all there is in acquiring a new set of "tools" is changing our predisposition and attitude towards learning.
We culturally have a fear of knowledge, feeling that some stuff we don't even need to learn to thrive, that may be true, but that's also the programming talking, the masters don't want the slaves to get educated and realize they are slaves, that is bad for business.

In learning according to the new data and research , the PARENTS are the number 1 cause of success or failure, regardless of school environment or cultural inputs.
The parents transmit their fears and skills or lack of to their offspring with language.

It is also true that not all are great at everything, and that school systems are very limited, putting everyone on the same level and niche, believing that all are the same when clearly we are not!

It is also true that some have several preferences and predispositions towards certain subjects, everyone is good at something and better on specific cases.

But unless you have neurological disorders or mental disadvantages failing where the mediocrity has passed should ring the alarm bells, really stupid people have passed through the education system without any problems whatsoever, truly Everyone can do it, as it does not require any skill at all.

If you are in college and are getting taught math and you are struggling, then clearly you are not taking the adequate courses for you, identify what you really like and go from there!

math is easy, comprehending it is not, but everyone is more than capable of doing it, we do far more difficult things than fractions!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"If you are in college and are getting taught math and you are struggling, then clearly you are not taking the adequate courses for you, identify what you really like and go from there!"

I'm in school for web design and graphic design (logos and banners I'm assuming). Even the entrance exam for the school, I had to take 4 times and barely passed it. So my first math class is 032. I have 2 remedials then move to pre alg, alg and at some point statistics (which after researching that, seems more like graphs and charts - if there are 500 people in this town and it raises 24%, how many are in it now - that sort of stuff. Which I fail miserably at percentages too unless it's 10% or 50% xD). Every single major in college no matter what you take, you have to take generals and that includes math, but that's the USA. Dunno where you're from but yeah. Even if one wants to major in painting or music, or writing books or anything, you gotta take math, science, history, english. Few classes in each. Stupid and crazy - one's majoring in music or theater and still has to learn that other crap which has nothing to do with the major. They just want more money is what it comes down to.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Biology is kicking my butt.
Feels like I'm going in circles.

I feel you.

Calculus is starting to become more hard. I actually do better at history and humanities for some reason.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I don't think it's as much people "can't" do certain subjects, as it is the system of teaching just doesn't work for everyone. I failed algebra twice in school. Not because I got the wrong answer, but because I didn't get the answer the same way as the teachers. Schools need to stop forcing a status quo and established learning curricula, and need to focus on strengthening the way individuals perceive subjects. They should get rid of the whole student placing by name or GPA and focus more on pre-test placement, making sure that kids that learn the same or similarly are placed together, and their specific methods of learning are embraced, not pushed aside.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Even though I cannot place where this information came from, I remember hearing a few years back about how human minds work. There are essentially 5 different ways people think: Words, images, music, math, and I think three dimensional. Those who are gifted in math are also pretty good musicians, those who think in words are good in visual arts, three dimensional thinkers are trouble solvers for pretty much anything that comes along. I have my strong points in language and technical issues, but poor in algebra and horrid in music. Some are good in music but poor in math because they are more three dimensional thinkers, meaning they think along the lines of a sculptor would, carving from every angle he or she can to get the desired result. Architects and computer aided designers are perfect examples of it. They use math and algebra without even considering it. I feel you pain, because I couldn't stand math, but excelled in science and physics which fundamentally use algebra all the time, even though I never saw it in that light. As long as W was width, L was length, etc, I could make sense of it. Otherwise, its all just mucked up! And yes, such things can run in the family. My mother was gifted in math and economics, but dad was a technical wiz. I just had to end up with dad's genes on that level. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I can relate.

Have you had a look at the Khan Academy. It's one of the best resources for learning on the web. Walks you though each step of problem solving clearly and logically. A friend, who's a teacher, highly recommends it.

www.khanacademy.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

I read something similar and had a bit of experience with this while trying to get my son into pre-school, which is proving to be a pain in the ass (who knew kids being smart could hurt their chances of getting into pre-school?).
Anywho; these separate learning groups should be placed together with teachers that understand their learning needs, not placed in a room with 20 other kids who learn differently with a teacher that's trying to accommodate all of their needs at once. Schooling would become more efficient this way, as well as less painful for the children, parents and teachers.

edit on 31-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I agree. There's always going to be those kids that no matter how hard they try, they're just never going to be good at it. They may pull out by the skin of their teeth, but they just don't have the mind for it.

No shame in it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Some people are smart. Most are stupid.

That is all.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
have you tried Khan Academy? Go down to Arithmetic and start there..then work your way up..I think the guy does a pretty good job at explaining things. I go through the physics stuff sometimes..just to catch up.

I know what you mean though..but I really think it's the teacher too..I had the BEST algebra teacher in HS. He really made sure you understood and he didn't make you feel stupid if you didn't.. he would stay hours after school with you and really made the whole thing fun.

I hope you can get some use out of Khan..it really is a good program.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Yes I understand, but really, they cant be that hard, if everyone passes them, I have worked at some Universities before, and sometimes they do that as a filter more than a moneymaking scheme, they are also of course in for the money, but they have way to take it away from you regardless!

Try it out change your attitude towards math, it isn't that hard, I'm sure you do harder things in life than a few math problems...
we have the same hardware, everyone can do whatever the greatest human has done, and also whatever the worst of the worst can, math is in between!

cheers!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I have taken Algebra I and II and I struggled with both.

But the Algebra came in handy when I took Dimensional Analysis and Chemistry. Be warned that Chemistry is mostly math if you should ever have to face that demon.

I passed Algebra II with an extremely colicky baby, a toddler in the midst of the terrible two's and post partum depression. I still to this day have no idea how I survived those few months much less the A I managed to get in the class.

I would take Biology or Chemistry over Algebra any day. The only thing stopping me from becoming a Biologist is all the math that is required. So I am going for Nursing instead.

[color=mediumorchid]Have you tried memorizing the properties? Associative, Distributive, Etc? Sometimes my problem was knowing where to start with an equation but after I got all of the 'rules' down pat I was able to approach the problem in a different way..

Just a thought.
edit on 31-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Thanks everyone. I bookmarked that Khan Academy and really hope it will help.

when I look at math, I can't just take the face value of 'this goes here and you do this here and then this and this and here's your answer.'
I need to know 'why does this go here and what does it do for that there? And when you do this, why are you doing it? What reason is this done like this? Why are we putting this here but not there and what is the reason for doing so?" I need to know the full reasons why every single step is done, if that makes sense. I really need to know the full why, how, where and every reason for almost every move. :/

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Give me math and I hyperventilate, get hot and cold at the same time, panic, start shaking, get enraged and cry and want to kill everyone ever.

Been pissing me off for ages now.

I felt exactly the same at school, especially during trigonometry. 30+ years later I still don't know what logarithms, sine, cosine, & blah, blah are all about, or what they're for.
Maybe if someone sat with me and explained for an hour I'd have avoided the pain and gotten on with it. That still pisses me off.

I feel for my son, he isn't good at anything academic, just a jolly good person. But in his adult world filled with form-filling and other info. I know he's gonna need help throughout. Just helping him get a passport at the minute. He's clueless. God help him when he's out in the world on his own trying to arrange insurances, bills, rents, etc. He can't even fill a form in, but a brighter person you never met.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join