It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has the 'Occupy Movement' accomplished?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm just wondering, I've asked the question before with no answer, but I'd like to know, has the protest actually got laws changed, procedures changed, has anyone from the big banks theyre protesting against came forward and said because of the protests, theyre changing how they do things?

The only laws I see changed so far are those prohibiting camping in public parks

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Not much of anything except that some people are a little more aware of current events/issues in govt. and banking industries. Then again the amount of people that have been 'enlightened' is probably eclipsed by the large number of people completely fed up with the protesters. I'd call it a definite waste of time and energy and anyone still camping out is an idiot.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Given a bunch of angry, frustrated, semi-hopeless kids an outlet for their emotions. Instead of rampaging through the streets and rioting like in Great Britain, the vast majority of them have just been acting like a bunch of 21st century hippies.

Yes, they've been annoying, but they could be doing a lot worse things.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

What has the 'Occupy Movement' accomplished?

do you want concrete/hard examples of change, or esoteric/soft examples of change?
an argument can be made for one, but not the other...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
it accomplished a few things!

1. More government control (look at the police presence... does anyone else smell martial law coming cuz of these folks?)
2. Now TPTB have more reason to censor the internet.
3. visually shows how much of a problem we have with leftist doctrines being pushed into our education system.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The occupy movement was supposed to redress issues with the frauds that lead the financial sector to ruins; the complicit support they receive from government officials. Public apathy in this arena is a great obstacle, we find Occupy is first building a network of activists to find ways to deal with these problems, anonymous delivers but he will be a bit behind schedule with police interference.

Occupy Movement has galvanized the idea of a grass-roots movement against those who co-opted the Tea Party. The Tea Party was a great movement when it began, questioning the legitimacy of the government and it was going to get big, but the underhanded punch with a great financial weight took its momentum, twisted it into the sick farce we see today.

Occupy gets the same treatment, not from the GOP, but from the Democrats establishment.

It would be an accomplishment simply to avoid having a known leader or set of leaders who can be corrupted or arrested.

Accomplishments besides that do include the mic check, revitalizing public interest in being ever vigilant against financial frauds and indeed taking a stand for your rights as a human being, over your rights as a mere worker.

The 99% is tautologically correct, what they say speaks for itself. Listen.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Occupy has raised awareness around the world about government corruption and control. Many more people, even if they are minority, look at their surroundings in a much different way than before.

We can ridicule all we want, but those points alone make a huge difference.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
it accomplished a few things!

1. More government control (look at the police presence... does anyone else smell martial law coming cuz of these folks?)
2. Now TPTB have more reason to censor the internet.
3. visually shows how much of a problem we have with leftist doctrines being pushed into our education system.

That is the consequence of their actions, it is not their intention.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

have you been living under a rock?

they've accomplished a hell of a lot of RAISING AWARENESS. awareness about corruption and social inequality.
edit on 1/31/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Awareness is enough. The occupy movement has merely been postponed for the winter. I bet in spring a lot of stuff is going to go down.

Just calling it now, they're not going to stop until the problem is fixed. In all honesty, they are the only ones doing anything about it, rather than people here who just complain about it on the internet.

We all have reasons to be on the streets. Whether you see them or not is none of my concern really. The time will come soon.

Edit: Some may not agree, But one common misconception is that OWS is about jobs and jobs alone. Its not. You may not agree with their methods, but its an attempt to resolve it peacefully before people become enraged and resolve it forcefully.

Denial and Misinformation are powerful tools used against most people, to say it has accomplished nothing is wrong. Bring on the harsher laws, the harder they push, the harder people push back (SOPA for example). Start detaining people indefinitely, see how fast the guns are drawn.
edit on 31/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It has shown people that protesting does nothing really. It is for hippies.

We already know voting is worthless.

So now it is clear that the next step is revolt.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch
It has shown people that protesting does nothing really. It is for hippies.

We already know voting is worthless.

So now it is clear that the next step is revolt.

Make provisions to protect your family, Join the fight if you feel you should do so.
This will be a worldwide revolution against the global cabal, they will be brought to justice.

Keep an eye on Wikileaks, i have a feeling they are going to be handed some EXTREMELY sensitive information, that will twist this work upside down.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I hate to say this, having been in Occupy myself...and despite myself, still feeling a soft spot for the core feelings and desire for change....but...only one thing really was accomplished that I've seen and it's the one thing I feared most and we needed least.

The cops and feds have now had months of sandbox practice with whatever camp they chose to focus on or try a new tactic with. It has given them the trial and error to meet a REAL rolling protest and hard push for change as might become necessary by a far larger % of the mainstream public at some future point. Er... I liked it a whole lot better when the police were as inexperienced and inept as the protesters. They're friggen experts now.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Raising awareness and keeping the occupy movement in the public mind .. They don't roll over and go away .. it keeps pressure on those things they are protesting against..

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think this might be helpful, it's from a University of Delaware survey just released. www.cecildaily.com...

They found that 67.6 percent of Americans had heard a "lot" or "some" about OWS. The rest answered "not much" or "none at all"

22.5% of Americans strongly agreed that "The protesters offered new insights on social issues." The same amount strongly disagreed. Roughly 37% somewhat agreed and roughly 18% somewhat disagreed.

I don't know what it's worth, but I thought I'd let you know.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The "Perceptions of the Occupy Wall Street Protests Survey" conducted telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of 901 adults living in the continental United States.

A sample of 901 adults out of 300 million+ Americans...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
, the vast majority of them have just been acting like a bunch of 21st century hippies.

this pretty much sums it up

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
We are truly products of the media era...our attention spans are fleeting at best. What kind of change are you expecting in this short amount of time? Just look at the ignorance displayed just on this thread..and these are the people that should be informed above the average television citizen. Yet they repeat the media catch phrases about hippies, kids..blah blah blah.

If change were easy the word revolution would have never been created.

The movement is not finished...so don't judge it by what has been accomplished to this date.

" I know that I will not change the world, but I promise you that I will spark the brain of someone who will." Tupac Shakur ( paraphrased)

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Im just going to ramble on a little bit here so I can make the minimum criteria which happens to be one line right here. Nothing, they have accomplished nothing in measurable or objective terms. But if you count stuff made up in la la land they have fixed the worlds through strategic complaining.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

I've got to disagree there. That's like saying a man can be provoked into hitting his wife/girlfriend, the truth of the matter of course is that he was always going to hit her.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join