It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Valentine Smith, anyone remember him?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Kinda, just wondering who I can count on to get any 'Stranger in a Strange Land' references that might pop up later. I mean, it's a great book, I grok, but I was wondering if it was held in high esteem here by those I'd call my peers?

For those unaware Michael Valentine Smith is one of the protagonists of Robert Heinlein book, yes, the guy who wrote the Starship Troopers book. I'd advise you to read it, it's an alright book that opens up some questions on how we are controlled through religion, and how governments would seek to oppress anything that threatens the status quo. Very much an ATS favorite I would think, just tossing it out there that I think it's important. Anyone else?

I'd also like to talk about the implication of iconoclasm it has when read with other books, most notably Aldous Huxleys A Brave New World. But, who knows, maybe you see something different in that book?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is probably my favorite book ever!

I don't really read novels - I'm just not into 'em... but Stranger is an amazing piece of art!
I stumbled onto it from an old girlfriend of mine many moons ago and I'm glad she asked me to read it!
The quote below my handle is one of my favorite Jubal Harshaw quotes!

I love it when I know of other folks who have the same appreciation as I do about Heinlein!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

What does this have to do with Religion or Theology?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

The ideas of the book translate today, have you read it or are you merely asking because you are unaware of them? With the ideas of a Jesus-esque prophet from Mars as a science fiction hook it's very much the second coming of Christ, as a novel.
Read it, if you have not, examine the ideas and find truth. Grok it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Stranger in a Strange Land was an awesome book, that, if you'd read it, has many comparisons to Jesus Christ in it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

total jesus parable and an easy read. some days i would die to be valentine m. smith. joking, sort of. try " the alchemist" by raul coelho or maybe pi by patel? dont know his first name. My nanny used to say, "Don"t believe anything you see, and only half of what you hear." Rather profound I've come to think

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
religion doesn't control you.

the media tries to control you, the government tries to control you, the mayor tries to control you, the police tries to control you, your boss tries to control you, your co-workers will try to control you, God will never try to control you.

when you are freed by God, which is a gift rarer than gold to some, it is like a stop sign. time stops, your mind clears and every decision you make is yours and yours alone.

every outside influence, no matter the source is suspended in animation so you can study it and choose to proceed.

this true freedom is so liberating, the ability to choose your own destiny, that you will not by choice dishonor or disgrace God.

and even, if you are so blessed, that if you repeat the same mistakes, this gift resets itself so you make the right one.

you will not feel forced for a second.

edit on 31-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by imalitehaus

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Stranger in a Strange Land was an awesome book, that, if you'd read it, has many comparisons to Jesus Christ in it.

Okay, that's granted, but what is the religious or theological aspect of this thread?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well I did want to talk about it, its lessons were important to me. Also, there were some sex scenes, some fights, wild escapes and suspenseful chapters.

Stranger in a Strange :Land was not a new Bible, it merely highlighted the reasons some people use the Bible to justify their desires rather than their responsibilities. It teaches that not only have they done it in the past, they continue to do so in the future, only to be stopped when it can be clearly shown humans do have a responsibility, and it can not be ignored.

Michael Valentine Smith was a Martian Jesus, who came to Earth and discovered how strange he truly is. His uniqueness brought him a special understanding of life here on Earth, and he shared it freely, changing other peoples minds and helping communities, pissing off TPTB.

They killed him.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Wow! I would hope anyone who's been wanting to read Stranger in a Strange Land doesn't read this thread due to the major spoiler alert that was dropped above!

Okay so, Smith was a very young and innocent half-Martian, half-Human brought to Earth by Earth scientists because he was the only heir to not only Mars, but to his human parents' fortune, and everyone who is anyone within the political herd is after Mr. Smith's John Hancock.

Smith, with the help of several humans, while remains in hiding, goes on to learn of the human ways and is actually learning of his super-human, or, for the sake of explanation within this thread, Jesus-like abilities - meaning, he can hold his breath underwater for an incredibly long time - he can *wish* someone away into nothingness if he feels they are a bad egg, amongst other things.

Long story short, Smith has an incredible desire to learn of this "Religion" stuff and sets out on a quest to comprehend just what exactly is this Religion anyway... so he pays a visit to the local Bible thumpers, the Fosterites! Taking note on the way the Fosterites were running shop, Smith decides to start his own cult - however, Smith adds his own touch, AND, he has legit worshipers because he's actually providing a sense of Love and Truthism into his people.

Well, obviously, the Fosterites aren't diggin' on Smith and his blasphemy, neither are the rest of the sheep who follow what the main stream media's been spreading around regarding Smith - so they have themselves a nice, old-school stoning and BBQ! The End!

So yeah, there are major religious overtones within Stranger in a Strange Land, and Jubal Harshaw sure knows how to express himself so eloquently regarding such a topic...

"I’ve never understood how God could expect his creatures to pick the one true religion by faith—it strikes me as a sloppy way to run a universe."
~Jubal Harshaw

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
Well, obviously, the Fosterites aren't diggin' on Smith and his blasphemy, neither are the rest of the sheep who follow what the main stream media's been spreading around regarding Smith - so they have themselves a nice, old-school stoning and BBQ! The End!

No, not the end, it was the end of the beginning. Mankind was moving to Mars and the Martians would be welcoming if the humans weren't so damn Human all the time. :p

Smith opened up a new level of consciousness to his followers, they had the purpose to use it, enlighten mankind so we are worthy to share water with Martians, who are wise beyond our understanding.

Today, we know no Martians, so Smith might not come around, but we can still take his lessons to heart. For similar reasons anyone likes Jesus but dislikes the Church, they like this book.

top topics

join