It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Insurance - new/young drivers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
A single driving lesson - £20
40 Driving lessons - £800
3 driving tests - £186 (£62 per test)

Not being able to buy car insurance? PRICELESS!!!

22 y/o female trying to get insurance on a range of 1.1 cars, insurance knocking on 2,500 - 3k
ITS NOT ON!

How the hell do you JUSTIFY that amount? You think im going to go drag racing in a bloody tin can!?! You RIP OFF MERCHANTS!! The cars im looking at aint even worth a fking grand!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
well unfortunately insurance companies pay out huge amounts to auto claims each year so even though your car is a clunker, they have to be able to replace all of those beamers and c600's

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That really is insanity. No matter how you slice it and dice it, 2-3 grand for a clunker is ridiculous.

Btw, don't expect any sympathy from many of the older adults in the audience. They'll simply tell you to get a job.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

When you're filling out the insurance forms, why not put your address down as a nice area, where insurance will not be so much, if you lived there?

This is what "people" do when they live in crappy, high-crime areas, & insurance gonna cost a bomb.

It's not strictly legal..But it's a sorta loophole, & can save you hundreds easily.

So if you have a family member who lives in a nice area, in a cul-de-sac with a drive-way or garage, you could ask them if it's ok to use their address lol
edit on 31-1-2012 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe

When you're filling out the insurance forms, why not put your address down as a nice area, where insurance will not be so much, if you lived there?

This is what "people" do when they live in crappy, high-crime areas, & insurance gonna cost a bomb.

It's not strictly legal..But it's a sorta loophole, & can save you hundreds easily.

So if you have a family member who lives in a nice area, in a cul-de-sac with a drive-way or garage, you could ask them if it's ok to use their address lol
edit on 31-1-2012 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

that could actually be considered insurance fraud.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Patchman

I think it is insurance fraud..

Doesn't stop people doing it however.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

And it won't stop the insurance company from not paying out when something does happen and they discover your dishonesty.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Great rant OP and you have my sympathies. As a 40 year old guy this is part of the reason why I never have owned a car in my life. They get taxed when imported, the fuel is 80% tax or something ridiculous, and you have to pay road tax and insurance making companies rich for no good reason. Profiteering from human suffering some might call it.

I have no idea how insurance works at all but I think "young" drivers are called a high-risk group and that's how they justify the ridiculous prices. Probably a silly question but did you try shopping around on the internet?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

If it's the same as in the US, its based on statistics. Young people are dangerous drivers due to lack of experience and overconfidence. They do more damage and kill more people than older more mature adults. They are more likely to drink or do drugs and drive. Blame it on your age, because that is the only culprit. Things based on facts are often difficult to swallow, but impossible to dispute. Not your fault, but it is true.

Owning a car means you must have the means to pay the associated costs. Otherwise it's better to not own a car. Things like insurance and repairs are part of the cost.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

ha what a joke, do you have to have comprehensive insurance?
in aus we only need 3rd party, which is mandatory when you register a vehicle. all up for about $700-1000 for 12 months.
rego for young drivers is about 2-3g/year for COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE , AU dollar.

just drive around with only 3rd party insurance???

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Back in the mid to late 70's when I first got my drivers license, insurance was based on the car that you drove, not the driver. When there was a proposition to change that, our insurance agent said vote no..it will make your rates soar. Sure enough he was right!
Now its the driver that is technically insured, not the car. I live in the US by the way.

top topics

join