It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think of Jesus more like the following?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is for Christians and none Christians. what do you think of the following video. I'm a none literalist Christian ... AM I going to hell because I believe the following?

edit on 31-1-2012 by EzenSurreal777 because: (no reason given)

ATTENTION!
Please read: Starting a New Thread?
Appears immediately above the text box, in every 'New Thread' composition window.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on January 31st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Come on dude. Give us a letter at least!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Some times a music video is worth a million words.

edit on 31-1-2012 by EzenSurreal777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EzenSurreal777

I don't happen to agree with the sentiments expressed in the video. Will you go to Hell for believing in the Gospel of Thomas? I'm not God, I'm not your judge. My guess (guess only) is that He won't like it, but that's between you and Him. Is there anything else we should be talking about?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I don't happen to agree with the sentiments expressed in the video. Will you go to Hell for believing in the Gospel of Thomas? I'm not God, I'm not your judge. My guess (guess only) is that He won't like it, but that's between you and Him. Is there anything else we should be talking about?

Why would you think he wouldn't like it?

Have you read Thomas?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Akragon!!! One of my great heroes and warriors! Hello!

The short answer to your question is "no." I have not read it. I was assuming, dangerous, I know, that the video was a summary of some of the more important parts of Thomas' Gospel. One of the parts that bothered me (beside the use of the word "crucifiction") was the idea that Jesus was not God but just a very intelligent and good man.

Did I misinterpret that part? I'd be happy to change my opinion, and even more delighted to hear your thoughts.

"Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone has a thought."--Charles1952

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Whether you go to "hell" or not is between you and your Maker my friend. No one here can answer that question. I have read the Gospel of Thomas before but it has been a while. It seems to me to be very contradictory to the other Gospels. Whether or not it is true I cannot say. I do believe it provides at the very least an interesting read and a balance to the other Gospels.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EzenSurreal777
This is for Christians and none Christians. what do you think of the following video. I'm a none literalist Christian ... AM I going to hell because I believe the following?

Jesus said "take up your cross and follow me". He also said "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" when it came to tax money. Jesus also said you have to be a servant to be a leader and washed the disciples feet, and gave us the example to do so also.

Jesus was not a rebel, He was the sacrifice for your sins and mine. Whether we like it or not, a real Jesus hung on a real cross and bled real blood. He was really whipped, beaten and His robe was really gambled for. He really lay His life down because He authority to pick it up again. So if there was any rebellion, it was against death, because He destroyed death and it could not hold Him.

Even the secular historian Tacitus mentions this

Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.

Tacitus was a Roman official and historian, not a Christian. Even this secular Roman acknowledges the crucifixion by Pontius Pilate.
edit on 1/31/2012 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

He was the sacrifice for your sins and mine.
. . . and bled real blood.

Jesus did die, when he could have chosen not to, so his death was a personal sacrifice by him.
Jesus was not involved in a blood for sins payment scheme to some unknown entity who we owed blood to on account of our sins.
Jesus was a god before coming to earth, born as a baby, and in heaven, before that incarnation, his father was the Great God, the Father and giver of life to all of us. Jesus came to give us that life that his Father has.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Akragon

Akragon!!! One of my great heroes and warriors! Hello!

The short answer to your question is "no." I have not read it. I was assuming, dangerous, I know, that the video was a summary of some of the more important parts of Thomas' Gospel. One of the parts that bothered me (beside the use of the word "crucifiction") was the idea that Jesus was not God but just a very intelligent and good man.

Did I misinterpret that part? I'd be happy to change my opinion, and even more delighted to hear your thoughts.

"Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone has a thought."--Charles1952

With respect,
Charles1952

I have no interest in the video or what the OP had to say, which was hardly anything honestly...

No offence OP... The answer to your question..

No..

What usually does interest me however, is the responses relating to the video... such as yours...

The video called the bible a "document of oppression" which is true, but its also the key to enlightenment... not as a whole of course, but the words from one man hold the keys to knowing God...

It is the rock that can not be moved... the flawless pearl...

IF one compares his words to all other scripture you will see who speaks truth and who does not...

There was only one quote from Thomas in that entire video...

From the video..
24 His disciples said, "Show us the place where you are, for we must seek it."

He said to them, "Anyone here with two ears had better listen! There is light within a person of light, and it shines on the whole world. If it does not shine, it is dark."

And two verses after what was shown in the video...

25 Jesus said, "Love your friends like your own soul, protect them like the pupil of your eye."

26 Jesus said, "You see the sliver in your friend's eye, but you don't see the timber in your own eye. When you take the timber out of your own eye, then you will see well enough to remove the sliver from your friend's eye."

This is truth my friend... I know you can see it

Don't be afraid to step out of your bible to find answers... If you know the key... you will not be led astray...

Thomas is a brilliant book... its quite dark, but there is much truth within...

Many scholars debate if its Jesus or not... I believe it is his words...passed down from other followers of him... and they can also be found in many other documents as well...

top topics

join