It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
reply to post by Vaxar

Going to the ground is a last resort for me personally. I love the ground though. Being on my back is like swimming.

But you should try to avoid it. Hitting concrete and rolling or grappling on hard ground HURTS. And you can injure yourself with the slightest amount of force.

If there are multiple attackers, NEVER go to the ground. If it's just you and another guy, it's a maybe.

This is of course assuming you have complete control over the situation. Which unless you have mastered the art of life, you will not have.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Again, "MMA" should not be confused with UFC..

The two are associated with each other but it's not correct.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

In my earlier post that was my exact words. Never goto the ground, never.

Unless you you know its a 1 on 1 and then as you said... maybe lol

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I agree. But, here is one thing that can make pure will to win useless. If you can't move fast enough or don't have enough strength, the will alone will not help, and neither is plain being mean either.

edit on 1-2-2012 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)
Yes I agree a true Martial artist, would not be mean, this would compare to ignorance. I would hope to do nothing to offend someone if I did, I would apologize. If this did not work and they felt a need to engage in a battle, I would reflect my reaction as to the aggression he exhibited towards me, if it was to severe and was going out of my control, I would end it.
Being stupid is not being tough and shows no honor.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fedeykin

I congragulate you on your undefeated record, I sadly have a loss or two on my record from my competition days.

In more serious fights (discounting everything that happened before I graduated high school) no one has ever landed a hit on me, although a few people have tried.

In my experience the chess game ends as soon as the fight is about something. In sparring it is a game for me, and I also think as if I was playing chess. In tournaments or on the streets my mind did sadly not work that way and I just reacted.

I have the exact opposite response. In a refereed fight my brain is thinking technique. I know I'm safe from certain moves and death so I find myself focusing on what this guy knows, what his go to shooting style is, and how quick he is to try and go for a grab.
In a real fight my mind goes into a completely different mode. I'm looking for that fatal flaw that everyone has in their technique (or lack thereof), and I begin using moves that will make them counter, and I force them to choose between exposing those weaknesses or getting struck. Once they're exposed I go in for the most crippling move I can to try and end the fight. Sport fighting is fun, sparring is usually funny (I don't know why, but I can never stop laughing while sparring someone), but I don't think many people actually enjoy getting into fights in the real world, especially if their life is at stake. The quicker that fight can be over with, the better off I am.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Nice thread op
Anything based around Wing Chun / Ninjitsu will prepare you mentally and physically. Avoiding situations before they arise is as much of a skill than being able to deal with a situation.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fedeykin

Here's the answer to the generic question: Because of muscle memory. They train to do what they train for nothing more nothing less. Not saying they can't do those things but if going against someone that has done those things and more then things change a bit don't you think? All because a person is a great NBA player doesn't mean they can do the tricks or know the intangibles in street ball 3 on 3.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge MMA fan, but some fans are delusional if they think that's it's the same to a street fight. Sorry it's not. Can you use some or most of the techniques learned in MMA to a street fight, for sure. Will you, as a MMA fighter, be more accustomed to getting hit and hitting with maximum power for your given genetics and weight than the average joe, yes. But if you asked me who would I bet on a notorious street fighter with dozens or more fights or a UFC champ, I'll bet on the street fighter. You become good at something you must practice it in real time, cross over helps but isn't a subsitute for the actual experience.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Again, "MMA" should not be confused with UFC..

The two are associated with each other but it's not correct.

When did I confuse UFC with MMA? I think you are mistaken.

reply to post by Vaxar

Going to the ground is a last resort for me personally. I love the ground though. Being on my back is like swimming.

But you should try to avoid it. Hitting concrete and rolling or grappling on hard ground HURTS. And you can injure yourself with the slightest amount of force.

If there are multiple attackers, NEVER go to the ground. If it's just you and another guy, it's a maybe.

Totally agree. I aslo agree with the point you made about adrenaline and fight or flight along with the importance of not hesitating. Those are BIG factors in a street fight, more than what most believe. The mental aspect is huge and killer instict is a big part of that.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by fedeykin

Here's the answer to the generic question: Because of muscle memory. They train to do what they train for nothing more nothing less. Not saying they can't do those things but if going against someone that has done those things and more then things change a bit don't you think? All because a person is a great NBA player doesn't mean they can do the tricks or know the intangibles in street ball 3 on 3.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge MMA fan, but some fans are delusional if they think that's it's the same to a street fight. Sorry it's not. Can you use some or most of the techniques learned in MMA to a street, for sure. Will you be more accustomed to getting hit and hitting with maximum power for your given genetics and weight, yes. But if you asked me who would I bet on a notorious street fighter with dozens or more fights or a UFC champ, I'll bet on the street fighter. You become good at something you must practice it in real time, cross over helps but isn't a subsitute for the actual experience.

^^ Agree with all of this.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I've been practicing Tai Chi for a few years (though i first did it 20 years ago).

My thoughts on it are that other martial arts (i briefly dallied with Shaolin Kung Fu) are about muscle memory - you're brain basically goes on auto-pilot as the training takes over. Very effective when you need to defend yourself; i got into a fight at the time - i remember the guy lunging at me - next thing i know he's on the floor, blood gushing after being hit several times in quick succession.

However, though i have a great deal of respect for the fighting arts, these days i prefer to think quickly and lucidly, rather than become an automaton. Tai Chi is about being present in the moment - being in total control of yourself in every moment. It can be just as effective in fight, though i think this takes far longer than Shaolin, as i found out in a recent fight (i know what your thinking, but it's not like that, i just don't always keep my mouth shut when it would be wise to - i knocked the guy out and fought off his buddy, but only after my nose had been broke).

So i hope it's clear to all - i do Tai Chi cos need to be calm and peace loving

But seriously, those of you that find meditation difficult when it means doing nothing, then try Tai Chi.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
MMA junkies who say they know what's worthwhile and what isn't haven't been watching too closely.

If MMA has taught us anything, it's that against evenly matched opponents, the style constantly evolves. Go watch UFC 1 and then UFC 142 and tell me if it looks at all the same.

However, we know that most real life encounters are not evenly matched, with size and skill gaps being the norm. The 6 foot 4 270 pound football player isn't going to have to learn a great rubber guard or how to combo into his leg kicks. In fact, for defense purposes, that would be wasted effort. Similarly, I would love to see a bantamweight shoot a single leg on him.

Defense in the real word is usually defense from average sized threats from a variety of locations and scenarios. If you're 270 pounds, that looks different than a 135 pounder. MMA training to fight at weight would help, and it would help more than some of the more exotic martial arts for sure, but it is certainly not the end all, and it's certainly not optimal.

The 270 pounder should wrestle. The 190 pounder should probably do the MMA thing. The 135 pounder should be evasive and learn the distance striking thing, from whatever source that feels right.

P.S. Tell Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva that kicks above the waist are worthless.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuchullainuk777
I ask a very deliberate question,How often would you statistically find yourself in a life death situation(yeah ok helmand province afghanistan ups the anti im refering to run of the mill western world were i assume vast majority of posters exsist)?Its evident on this particular post that some posters denigrate PURE martial art forms and thier incumbent spiritual basis.Now then how does the question relate to what im driving at?Well ok fair enough if your in life and death then the more violent mma take no #,kill or be killed,'peace or harmony is for a wuss' philosophy .So like middle of baghdad yeah kill or kill but cmon is the doom mongering death cult martial art minus peace and balance philosophy really necessary in the mean streets of suburbia WE ARE NOT LIVING IN CONAN THE BARBARIANS WORLD NOW ARE WE?.So people who hate (not my words("this peace n spirit #")are or possobliy psychopathic or the nuckleheads that i have said on previous posts.Knucklehead being a violent person seeking violence for violence sake.In my book that person has no part of the true spirit of martial arts satans martial arts yeah but as regard contributing to the overall stability of community and positiveness noooooooooooooo .

I'm born and raised in Los Angeles. I'm 37 years old. I've been in 'facing death' or serious injury situations more times than the average person. Especially in the 1990's when things here were very chaotic.

I didn't start this thread to advocate violence. And I'm anything but a knucklehead. I haven't been in a fight in 3 years and avoided three fights this year where I walked away. I ALWAYS try and walk away.

edit on 1-2-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
In 1967 my karate instructor/master told class,

1 - "do not allow yourself to be caught with your back against the wall",
2 - "if path is available to leave, leave confrontation at once"

In 1985, my Tae Kwon Do instructor taught basically the same strategy.

However, IF you need to learn self defense, search for special operations self defense manual.

Otherwise, buy a Glock...

Winners of a fight often fare little better phyically than the loser..

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

Tai Chi doesn't teach you to defend yourself. You wanna do ballet, or meditation, or sit under a tree for years and search deep into the cosmos that's all good.

But you'll get your ass kicked by tweaker boy who thinks you stole his cigarettes and isn't backing down.

Period.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Also, if you go to the ground with a guy outside a bar, and get a dominant position, he pulls out his buck knife and you get stuck in the kidney. This brings me to another point, about the familiarity with edged weapons. Come on! Unless you plan on carrying one and brandishing it, bad idea. Guy pulls a knife, first choice is run. Second choice is kick to the groin and run. Third choice is hit him with a rock and run. Fourth choice is give him your wallet, then run.

We did a demonstration at my school (Tang Soo Do, yeah yeah, impractical) where our instructor would attack you with a rubber knife and count hits until you got it away from him. Most people bled to death in a minute.

Anything that teaches you to hit in the knees, groin, throat, or nose....or possibly hit them with a brick is the self-defense you want, unless you think that on your pilgrimage through the lowlands, you're going to run into shaolin monks with ill intent....or you're like Kip and training to be a cage fighter.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon

How many States allow you to walk around with a GLOCK?

I call BS on all the guys on this thread who talk about GUNS. Yeah, if martial law was implemented or if every State had a CC open carry law.

But it's fantasy. People have been playing too many video games or watching too many movies. And it shows on this thread.

Dangerous thinking. Not applicable to reality.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jiggyfly

The first rule of knife fighting is always to RUN. That is the first thing I tell someone.

I only speak of edged weapons for those who can't run, have a disability, or are cornered by someone with a knife or weapon.

That's why lots of practice with training knives, Magnum Markers and white long sleeved shirts, laser pointers and small flashlights helps train for "Largo Mano", checking hands, fencing stance, sinawali, triangles, serrada, etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jiggyfly

MMA does not = UFC.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

It depends on what you're talking about. Sport? Real life violence? Mental discipline? Relaxation? etc.

Seeing as how this in the survival section, I'll presume you're talking about real life violence.My advice is to acquire as much fight experience as your possibly can.

This means getting comfortable with being struck to face and body, someone pulling and dragging in your flesh and clothes and being dropped to the floor.

I've seen all too many Karate (and Tae Kwon) Do and (novice) Muay Thai practitioners get destroyed in real life fight scenarios.

I've seen it first hand in the several fights I experienced in school. When you strike someone clean to the face you can always tell whether it's the first time they've experienced that kind of violence or not. They'll either fall apart or start fighting like they're about to die.

It happened to me when I ten. I backed down. If this happens to you as an adult in a survival scenario, your life is on the line.

The quickest/easy you could do is find a local boxing club and ask

The better way to approach it would be to study a striking martial art

Besides all of this, begin watching MMA. Sure there's rules and it's open handed (not weapons based) but it's the closest you'll get to observing the effectiveness of certain fighting style.

So far, MMA has thought us that Brazilian Jujitsu, Muay Thai, western wrestling and western boxing are highly formidable when combined.

In a nutshell: Get beaten up and cross train.
edit on 1/2/2012 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Yes, my OP is about defense. I should have written a better title, I totally failed at the title I chose.

That's why this is in survival.

And the rest of your post I agree with 100% and it's what I've been saying for the most part.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join