It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticdog
reply to post by daaskapital

here is a video in english ...this is a russian martial built on the bodies natural movement . You can see the power in the punch in this video

Sorry but Systema is a scam too.These guys look great in a controlled situation where their opponent is complying and not trying to beat them. But you never see them even in a hard sparring match... Gee wonder why that is....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

And too bad you're so arrogant about what you believe to know while NOT knowing it.

You have no clue what "MMA" is.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
reply to post by hawkiye

And too bad you're so arrogant about what you believe to know while NOT knowing it.

You have no clue what "MMA" is.

Another idiotic statement... Sigh. I don't believe anything I know from decades of real world experience. Perhaps you could point out anything I said that justifies your claim I don't have a clue what MMA is? UFC happens to be the largest showcase of MMA on the planet just like NFL is the largest showcase of football. To make an idiotic statement that UFC is not MMA as if people do not distinguish the organization that showcases MMA from actual MMA is just plain ridiculous as much as thinking people don't distinguish the NFL from the football it showcases. What was the point of such a statement? If you thought it made you look superior in your argument it only made you look stupid and was not even germane to the discussion. But now I am arrogant have no clue what MMA is because you got called on your idiotic statements... Yeah ok buddy...

edit on 4-2-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

MMA is "mixed martial arts".

UFC is UFC

PRIDE is PRIDE.

I don't know how to say it any simpler.

I don't want to sound over prideful here but Hell...with my MASSIVE EGO...LOL!...Why not?

I have watched many a video of people taking a punch to the chest or stomach and they are prepared for the hit and tell the other guy to strike. And we are talking about a straight away strike...not an upercut to an organ or angled blow but just a forward strike without wind up and from a relatively close stance.

I can tell you with 99.99% certainty...that if I was the guy throwing this strike...the other guy would not be getting up. All I need is about am arms length distance and they are going to go down for the count.

A straight solid blow to the SOLAR PLEXUS or a straight shot to the tip of the bone called the XYPHOID PROCESS....and they will not only be down and out but could actually die.

This is why I have to be carefull when playing with friends. Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

MMA is "mixed martial arts".

UFC is UFC

PRIDE is PRIDE.

I don't know how to say it any simpler.

You are just being pedantic and equally obstinate on purpose, and at the same time making a very poor effort at word play.

Yes of course UFC & PRIDE don't = MMA

But the athletes that compete in BOTH organisation are MIXED MARTIAL ARTISTS, because they are practioners or MMA, which means when you are watching it you are watching MMA..

Geez, get a hobby or something man.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Learn whatever martial art you fancy but as far as 'effectiveness' and real-world application goes, if hitting people in the head repeatedly does not feature strongly then I would suggest binning it.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
i know this will be frowned upon but dirty boxing has always worked for me as in a street attack they are no rules and the attacker wont show any pity. my grandad and his brother where both bareknuckle boxers and they teached all there kids even the girls how to defend themselves and even some of the grankids including me from an early age and it has saved my butt more times than enuff. im sending my own daughters to boxing lessons and then when there older ill share my moves as its a scary world theses days and its not getting better

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

LOL you just keep ranting and raving and lashing out and swearing up and down you got it all figured out.

You won't even dare to ask calmly what I mean or explain how you're in error.

You just keep getting angrier and angrier.

It's actually interesting to watch. You're so heated and still WRONG. LOL

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
For what it's worth...

There are three big mistakes in choosing MMA as a self defense system for real life street fighting, and here they are:

Mistake # 1 – MMA Is Seen As A Self Defense System Rather Than As A Sport – This difference between real life and death self defense and sports self defense is that sports self defense has RULES which is the same thing to say as some things are permitted and some things are not. In the street anything goes.

Mistake # 2 – After Training For MMA, One Is Prone To Want To Grapple More Than Do Whatever It Takes To Survive – In MMA, there is a great emphasis on grappling and going to the mat with an opponent mainly because in MMA grappling is what the audience wants to see. You should avoid rolling on the ground and grappling unnecessarily with anyone. One is that when you fall to the ground on concrete, it is not the same thing as falling on a mat in a cage match. Two is that if you put your emphasis on grappling, then you probability of success rests more on your size and strength than your skill and cunning.

Mistake # 3 – When You Learn And Get Use To Fighting With Rules And Restrictions You Have Made Yourself Vulnerable For Street Fighting – In the street, you can eye gouge. In MMA, you cannot. In the street, you can bite. In MMA, you cannot. In the street, you can break the fingers, one-by- one, of someone who is trying to strangle you. In MMA, you cannot.

Conclusion: Forget MMA For Real Life Street Survival Self Defense – The ideal system for real life street self defense is any system that throws out any “illegal” moves and brings back a little respectability to the science of “fighting dirty.”

[url=http://ezinearticles.com/?Street-Fighting-Moves---Why-Mixed-Martial-Arts-(MMA)-Is-Dangerous-to-Learn-As-a-Self-Defense-System&id=1853902]source[/ url]
edit on 2/1/2012 by RedParrotHead because: added source

This is the biggest piece of BS I have read today.Thanks...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

LOL you just keep ranting and raving and lashing out and swearing up and down you got it all figured out.

You won't even dare to ask calmly what I mean or explain how you're in error.

You just keep getting angrier and angrier.

It's actually interesting to watch. You're so heated and still WRONG. LOL

And you are acting like a troll. Please see my above comment.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo

"MMA" was around before UFC.

If someone says they are an "mma practitioner" it can have nothing to do with the rules or bounds of UFC

I know dozens of MMA practitioners and none of them follow UFC 'rules'.

Example: In a Synagogue you'll find mostly Jews, but only a certain percentage of Jews go to Synagogue.
Example 2: 100% of people in Sunday Mass are Christians, but not all Christians go to church.

Mixed martial arts is the theory of studying and mixing more than one 'art' for defensive/offensive techniques. Mixed martial arts can involve weapons, sticks, biting, head butts, kicks to the groin, etc.

Just because MMA is synonymous with UFC, doesn't mean it is UFC.

UFC is UFC...MMA is "mixed martial arts".

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

edit on 4-2-2012 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Pretty soon people will call anything involving grappling, "MMA"...LOL

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Ozvaldo

If someone says they are an "mma practitioner" it can have nothing to do with the rules or bounds of UFC

Example: In a Synagogue you'll find mostly Jews, but only a certain percentage of Jews go to Synagogue.
Example 2: 100% of people in Sunday Mass are Christians, but not all Christians go to church.

Mixed martial arts is the theory of studying and mixing more than one 'art' for defensive/offensive techniques. Mixed martial arts can involve weapons, sticks, biting, head butts, kicks to the groin, etc.

As I said above - of course UFC doesn't= MMA, and I am well aware that MMA has been around longer than UFC.

As I said above, you are being purposely pedantic. You know the point we are making, yet you are still 'trying' to use childish word play for some reason.

As for UFC rules, of COURSE they are different to other rules that MMA'ists use in other competitions. MMA has many rules depending in which organisation you are competing in.

Now I understood what you were saying ages ago, why can't you understand where I am coming from?

Just let it go man, this debate was closed in my earlier post.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ozvaldo

reply to post by Ozvaldo

As I said above - of course UFC doesn't= MMA, and I am well aware that MMA has been around longer than UFC.

As I said above, you are being purposely pedantic. You know the point we are making, yet you are still 'trying' to use childish word play for some reason.

As for UFC rules, of COURSE they are different to other rules that MMA'ists use in other competitions. MMA has many rules depending in which organisation you are competing in.

Now I understood what you were saying ages ago, why can't you understand where I am coming from?

So we both agreed the whole time, yet you wanted to argue the point.

Awesome stuff. Kudos.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Ozvaldo

I thought this thread was about the most effective fighting style? And no this debate was not closed in your earlier post (only to you)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So can we stop talking about UFC when discussing "MMA"?

Or do we have to have visions of guys wearing Affliction hats and dancing around in lycra shorts in an Octagon?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yep, I'm done here. My point was clearly made, and obviously finally received.

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Yep, I'm done here. My point was clearly made, and obviously finally received.

Peace

Nah, I think MY point was made and received.

Tit for Tat.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I remember scrappin with a lad few year back we ended up in a clinch and i just felt couple of hits to the body right before i gave him a clean right hand to the jaw and sparkled him clean out.

The B*stard had stuck a key between his fingers and tried to pop me in the belly with it.

Thats when i soccer kicked his face a couple of times. Eye for an eye.

Sounds bad i know but i wouldnt have kicked him if he didnt use the key.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join