It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 10
18
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon
 


How many States allow you to walk around with a GLOCK?

I call BS on all the guys on this thread who talk about GUNS. Yeah, if martial law was implemented or if every State had a CC open carry law.

But it's fantasy. People have been playing too many video games or watching too many movies. And it shows on this thread.

Dangerous thinking. Not applicable to reality.



Actually 49 do have a concealed carry law, meaning you can carry a concealed weapon in all of them....so yeah ....i have to disagree with you there...

In fact I carry one myself nearly everywhere I go......

Difference is judgement and knowing when you have no choice but to pull it




posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask
 


Yeah, how fast can you load it? How many states where you can carry a LOADED weapon?

Is the ex con or gangster gonna give you time to load before he slices your neck?

I guarantee you I could get at you before the THOUGHT of your gun even enters your mind.

It's not real world. Good for home defense and SHTF scenarios. But not the average street fight.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask
 


Yeah, how fast can you load it? How many states where you can carry a LOADED weapon?

Is the ex con or gangster gonna give you time to load before he slices your neck?

I guarantee you I could get at you before the THOUGHT of your gun even enters your mind.

It's not real world. Good for home defense and SHTF scenarios. But not the average street fight.



How fast can you load it? Its already loaded, and yes its a concealed weapon, you carry it loaded....

The thought that you have an ability over anyone else to do something you are speculating about is ignorance, im sorry man.....

Most people that carry their weapon practice with it and draw with it..........

Again its about situation assessment............of course if you come out of now where with a knife I have to react.......much like what happened to me In Iraq clearing a domicile.....

However, if you have time to see someone pull the knife before they are at you, you have time to pull your firearm, depending on where you carry it......

again we can argue situation x all day long till people are blue in the face, there is no hard and fast rule for every situation and any serious practictioner of ANY art knows this....

But to say that carry a handgun is impractical for self defense in every day life is just false on all levels, as im sure anyone in a self defense situation has had to use one can testify

Dont presume to know more then the person you are attacking...........that only ends in death




I guarantee you I could get at you before the THOUGHT of your gun even enters your mind.


News articles are full of people who thought this......
edit on 1-2-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas
 


Unless you want to be in the sporting side of martial arts, you want to win at all costs. Therefor I recommend the USMC program:

Marine Corp Martial Arts Prgram

You don't want to be a dead Marine, because then you are in a world of sh!+. Marines don't die without permission.

Therefore, unless you are messing around with MMA and such, I recommend the USMC way of martial arts: WIN ALWAYS! No punks will apply.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
if you are willing to learn for life and life's way then I recommend www.aikidofaq.com... it is not art it is away a path of life, no I am not a master, nor teacher, a follower of the pathway.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
reply to post by PaxVeritas
 


Unless you want to be in the sporting side of martial arts, you want to win at all costs. Therefor I recommend the USMC program:

Marine Corp Martial Arts Prgram

You don't want to be a dead Marine, because then you are in a world of sh!+. Marines don't die without permission.

Therefore, unless you are messing around with MMA and such, I recommend the USMC way of martial arts: WIN ALWAYS! No punks will apply.


I thoroughly enjoyed my MCMAP program



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask
 


Different States have different rules. I'm speaking as a Californian. It's almost impossible to get a CC license here. You have to be the Chief of Police practically. The gun carry issue isn't universal, that's my point. I'm glad YOU can carry a loaded weapon, but where I live that's an instant Felony, and a license is damn near impossible, only given to special cases like body guards, guards, or independent contractors that need it.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask
 


Different States have different rules. I'm speaking as a Californian. It's almost impossible to get a CC license here. You have to be the Chief of Police practically. The gun carry issue isn't universal, that's my point. I'm glad YOU can carry a loaded weapon, but where I live that's an instant Felony, and a license is damn near impossible, only given to special cases like body guards, guards, or independent contractors that need it.


in this case you are probably correct, I know that it is a lot harder in some states than in others......

I guess my point was that carrying a firearm is a valid means of self defense.....


Anyway great thread i S and F, lol been some good information on here and some not so good, keep up the good work



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have done about 10 years worth of martial arts (when I was yonger).
Including basic Karate, ValeTudo, Brazilian juijitsu and just mixed martial arts.

The best for blocking (most attacks) is just basic Karate!



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This post is interesting to me because I've recently decided I want to learn how to better defend myself and I’m struggling with deciding which fighting style would be “best” for me. The reason I decided this is becauseI work at a place where I regularly see people with all kinds of problems. Recently I’ve encountered people with mental health problems, gang members, drug seekers, assault victims, and people who are prone to violent outbursts. I’ve been in a couple situations this past month where I could have potentially been attacked if there weren’t 3 security guards kept on duty to protect us who call the police when they need to.

My goal is to be able to defend myself if someone has a violent outburst. I don’t particularly want to hurt someone, just effectively disable an attacker until security or the police can help. I can choose between a few different styles because the schools are close by to where I live but I’m not sure which is best for me.

The fighting styles I have to choose from are Karate, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, and Muy Thai. I'm sure if I did some more research about martial arts schools in my area there would be more to choose from. I don’t know if this effects anything regarding the martial arts style I should learn but I’m a pretty big guy. I’m 6ft3 215 pounds. My real life fighting experience has been next to none… I’ve been able to avoid almost every potential fight just because I’m a big person and I‘m able to convince people that they shouldn‘t try to fight me. The only real fight I’ve been in ended with my nose getting broken when I was a teenager which is kind of embarrassing. But I guess I’m not afraid to admit I’ve never even punched someone in real life before because I’m not a violent person. I’m also in my 30’s now but I really want to get into this. I’ve had some people tell me that I should have started training when I was younger so I’ve put this off for a long time.

So what style of martial arts would be best for me start with?
edit on 1-2-2012 by SentientBeing13 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SentientBeing13
 


If you have a local MMA gym that would be the best place for you...with your size you'd be a hand full for anyone if you pushed them down and got on top of em and vice versa it would be hard to get you down once you had a understanding of wrestling and grappling.

Roll around with the people at your local gym and be sure to take any stand up classes available so you can even your game out and have options on the feet besides take downs.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask
 


Yes... I carry a gun (could be a Glock 17, a 5 shot Charter 38, a S&W Mod 686 357, a S&W Mod 29 44 mag, a Keltec 32 long, and the list goes on ) Unless hunting, I carry my weapon concealed (most states suggest you do) for my personal protection, to protect my loved ones, to my friends and in our state to protect innocent people around me...

As a matter of fact, my wife carries a gun, my grandson carries a gun and a large percentage of my family and friends own and carry guns.

I have carried concealed sinced 1969... thankfully I only had to draw a gun once, and more fortunately never had to use it..

And yes, whatever I carry is always loaded, cocked and locked so to speak as a gun becomes a worthless club when unloaded. And if you are to go to the place where guns are in my car and home, each is cocked and locked.

Only a fool takes a club to a gun fight.

I might mention I am also a VERY PROUD member of the National Rifle Association, the premier protector of our Second Amendment rights under the constituion of the United States.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
People going on about wrestling, bjj and any floor work are in trouble in a street fight, as i said earlier. If you go to the ground you are in hell against a nasty violent individual that will bite and gouge you.

A friend of mine that trains with me at muay thai also does MMA at another gym and he has done a lot more bjj than he has thai, he loves to take it to the floor, now this is great in his MMA gym but last year he had a street fight outside the pub with a local lad who has done a fair bit of boxing and had amateur fights, but more importantly he's a horrible horrible individual that will seriously do anything he can in a street fight to win.

So this boxer type is arguing with my mate outside the pub and he goes for the left hook which my mate moves his head back to avoid, then he (my mate) goes for a double leg take down smashes the lad to the floor and gets full mount, next thing this lad (the boxer type) just grabs his head and bites into his ear, after 30 secs he's bitten half the lads ear off. Now my mate proceeds to ground and pound this lad with elbows untill he's knocked out, adreneline has seen him through along with his BJJ skills, but thers blood everywhere and now he's permanently disfigured.

You do NOT at any time want to end up on the floor in a street fight. go for the groin, go for the throat, go for a hard straight right to the chin, or an eye poke then groin strike whatever you can and many of them if you need to, but keep your distance using 'the fence' and run, run like hell.
edit on 1-2-2012 by stinka because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoddball
I have done about 10 years worth of martial arts (when I was yonger).
Including basic Karate, ValeTudo, Brazilian juijitsu and just mixed martial arts.

The best for blocking (most attacks) is just basic Karate!



I forgot to write Vale Tudo in my OP....damnit.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
BTW... my apologies, I meant no disrespect to this thread or the intent of the thread.

A question was asked, and I feel I answered it honestly...

I have taken karate, tae kwon do, ju jitsu and some mixed martial arts and it it wonderful exercise, a great way to clear the mind and certainly something to be very proud of too.

I have 3 close personal friends who are very advanced in multiple disciplines and all teach.

I also have several close friends who learned it to survive in a war zone.

I have heard many suggestions on here regarding the arts and I think one should find one you enjoy, first and foremost.

But please, only use in self defense and never believe it will likely not save you from a catastropic situation.

Peace... out...



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas
 


My uncle was a double black belt(?) in Tae-Kwan-Do. He's been practicing since the age of fourteen and lived/breathed the sport. He swears up and down that it's 'the best' martial arts. I don't doubt it can be quite lethal, my uncle did a couple of 'tours' on the illegal street fight circuit out in L.A. back in the 80's. But it's not for me.

I wanted something that would just 'work'. I don't need fancy spinning kicks or whatnot. All I wanted was something that would allow me to take down my aggressor in the least amount of time. My work pulls me in a lot of close spaces so being able to take someone down in a narrow hallway was a big plus. That's when I came across Systema. The Russian fighting style used by their soldiers. Unfortunately, no courses were available here so I had to find an alternative, which ended up being Krav Maga. I'm now three years into KM and I'm still learning something new.

It's not for show, it's simple and everyone can learn it. There's two types, civilian (regular?) KM which is open for anyone, and the little harder to find 'Commando Krav Maga'. Do a quick Google search and you'll find a wealth of information.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm gonna be a fanboy here and say that I can't express enough how I think to really get an introduction into real world applications of self defense I would definitely have to say

Paul Vunak

.

From his early stuff to his most recent, it covers practically every situation. it's the most complete system I've seen.

Google him, you won't regret it.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
reply to post by PaxVeritas
 


My uncle was a double black belt(?) in Tae-Kwan-Do. He's been practicing since the age of fourteen and lived/breathed the sport. He swears up and down that it's 'the best' martial arts. I don't doubt it can be quite lethal, my uncle did a couple of 'tours' on the illegal street fight circuit out in L.A. back in the 80's. But it's not for me.

I wanted something that would just 'work'. I don't need fancy spinning kicks or whatnot. All I wanted was something that would allow me to take down my aggressor in the least amount of time. My work pulls me in a lot of close spaces so being able to take someone down in a narrow hallway was a big plus. That's when I came across Systema. The Russian fighting style used by their soldiers. Unfortunately, no courses were available here so I had to find an alternative, which ended up being Krav Maga. I'm now three years into KM and I'm still learning something new.

It's not for show, it's simple and everyone can learn it. There's two types, civilian (regular?) KM which is open for anyone, and the little harder to find 'Commando Krav Maga'. Do a quick Google search and you'll find a wealth of information.



How much sparring do you do in krav ?

Do you practice block and counters and sparring drills ?



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
I'm gonna be a fanboy here and say that I can't express enough how I think to really get an introduction into real world applications of self defense I would definitely have to say

Paul Vunak

.

From his early stuff to his most recent, it covers practically every situation. it's the most complete system I've seen.

Google him, you won't regret it.


Will check him out.

Are you a fan of the legend that is Bas Rutten ?



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper
 



Yeah I mentioned KM in my OP and a few times in the thread.

For some it feels right. For me it's a lot to take on, but if you're serious about it you can learn some good stuff.

It's just that Krav Maga has become commercial in a lot of spots where you have 'kids classes' or KM classes where you go to 'get a good workout and meet hot chicks'.

But if there's a guy teaching KM in some garage somewhere and you give him beer money for lessons, I'd take that guy.



new topics

top topics



 
18
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join