It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VenomandSerum
reply to post by Carseller4

It's actually a very common phrase in the UK, particularly amongst the bar scene, where this guy works. If he had said he was going to have a smashing time in the US would they think he was going to literally smash all the glass he could find. Get a grip...

Apparently the tweet was sent weeks before he went too. Plenty of time for 'intelligence' (!) agencies looking into this perceived threat to realise that this is far from threatening. Of course they must have been far too busy policing the internet...

Another popular term at one time was "Da Bomb", try using that phrase at any airport and see where it gets you. Just because a term or a phrase becomes popular does not mean it is intelligent.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's actually a very common phrase in the UK, particularly amongst the bar scene, where this guy works. If he had said he was going to have a smashing time in the US would they think he was going to literally smash all the glass he could find. Get a grip...

Apparently the tweet was sent weeks before he went too. Plenty of time for 'intelligence' (!) agencies looking into this perceived threat to realise that this is far from threatening. Of course they must have been far too busy policing the internet...

lol good post and you may have just shed light on the reasoning for all of this... to spread fear, fear of the Gov. fear of your own speech.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

But he didn't use the phrase at the airport, he used it in conversation with a friend weeks before his trip...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL

Originally posted by Carseller4
Am I the only one who thinks that foreigners who publicly state they want to destroy America should NOT be allowed in?

Even if that is not what the meant, maybe they should not be allowed in because of stupidity.

actions speak louder than words... we have freedom of speach writen into our constitution for a reason..

if someone threatens me what do the police do? NOTHING.

WE have freedom of speech. But a belligerent tourist coming to this country doesn't have the same rights.

"Destroy America"? Sorry but we are not going to give you the opportunity. Maybe next time.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
I'm seriously considering asking around for political asylum. Of course, I'd probably just be seen as disgusting immigrant from a backwards, underdeveloped nation.

I do not blame you!! I have been giving some very serious thought to relocating to outside of the US.

As far as tourism goes, I am shocked anyone still wants to travel here. I refuse to fly domestically now. If I were a tourist, the last place I would want to come to is America. I wouldnt allow myself to be frisked and felt up and treated like a criminal just for wanting to take a vacation (holiday).

I have duel citizenship. In Panama you have to worry about the drug cartels, but you know who your enemies are.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL

Am I the only one who thinks that foreigners who publicly state they want to destroy America should NOT be allowed in?

Even if that is not what the meant, maybe they should not be allowed in because of stupidity.

actions speak louder than words... we have freedom of speach writen into our constitution for a reason..

if someone threatens me what do the police do? NOTHING.

WE have freedom of speech. But a belligerent tourist coming to this country doesn't have the same rights.

"Destroy America"? Sorry but we are not going to give you the opportunity. Maybe next time.

its called a figure of speech not to be taken literally. did he have any WMD's? no. so STFU and let the man visit the US. when did our country become such pansies?
edit on 1/31/2012 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Stop embarrassing your fellow americans!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

If he had said he was going to have a smashing time in the US would they think he was going to literally smash all the glass he could find.

What if he were coming here to have a "gay ol' time"? Would they think he intended a biological attack?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomandSerum

But he didn't use the phrase at the airport, he used it in conversation with a friend weeks before his trip...

That's why ABTA's response galled me - it's okay for someone's privacy to be completely disregarded cos they want to take the kids to Disneyland? Really? The UK government permitted the US authorities the right to do this and I hold them entirely responsible for this potential violation of my life (insofar as the US has the right to access all of my communications and records (going how far back?))......and now I have to watch how I use my colloquialisms cos they might get the wrong ides
as in this instance. Is it just me, or is this picture just way back to front?

I'm pleased to read that most of the posters on this thread find this story to be as ridiculous as I do but apart from the invasion of privacy issues the concern must be (as has already been posted) that the more of this that appears in the press the more the US tourism industry is affected. The world is big....life is short....and there are many more fascinating (and friendly) places to visit.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm inducing you to grow with the rest of the world.

Yours is the despairing outcry of the impossibility of being able to relate to the rest of the planet - which must seem so alien to you..
edit on 31-1-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wow ..what a sick joke this is ...and is not a joke ...so considering at least my quarter of posts here and some tweets are containing " US goverment is evil" "US is evil empire " and something like that i can forget traveling in US and i was planing trip to New York in september. US freedom is done my fellow americans , game is over .

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have the fear that if I ever returned to the US to visit there would be some random reason crop up where I would never be able to leave there again. I couldn't bear that. I have no desire to ever return there to my native home, but it just seems so likely that if I ever went there again that I would be apprehended for some little incomprehensible something to become embroiled in the system and not be able to escape it.

After leaving the US some years ago I felt like the frog that leapt out of the pot of hot water and only in that moment realized if I had remained any longer I'd have been cooked.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
We some odd ways of putting things in the UK.

Some people say things like

I'm going to smash that = I would like to have sex with that person

I'm going to get battered = I will be getting quite drunk/stoned/high

I'm going to annihilate that food = I will be eating that all, every last bit

I'd bite his hand of for that = That is a fantastic deal, I'd buy it

So if somewhere in the US had a good deal on Prostitutes, Alcohol & food.... I'd watch out

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

My favorite lost in translation with Americans is, "Can a bum a fag of you' = Can I have one of your cigarettes. Means something completely different in America apparently.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi! Welcome to America. Here are some friendly tips on what to say and what not to say.
Please read at your convenience and enjoy your stay

Tips.
1. Don't say destroy, even in another language or in another country even if it means drinking. Our drones target those words and Obama has an XBox controller at his desk.
2. Don't say hate. We hate, hate. We hate hate, hate. Unless we are the ones hating.
Then it's called re-education.
3. If you're going to say something about Obama, face Washington DC and whisper it. He's superman and will hear you, so be nice.
4. Don't drink the water. The flouride will have you chanting "hope and change" for days.
5. No voting allowed. Unless you're here illegally.

Thanks so much.

Signed,
Department of Happiness and Security

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Perfect, even more reasons never to visit that festering #hole.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium
Perfect, even more reasons never to visit that festering #hole.

Awww c'mon! We still validate parking!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
My friend in India has said, "Don't worry, we'll run proxies for you guys"

That's darn sad. Free. I get tired of hearing it.

Oh, for the record, don't say you are shelling pecans on twitter.
Never shell anything. It comes up as a violent word of intent on their little twitter parsing fritters.

edit on 1-2-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
God forbid you see your friend jack at the airport and say hi to him.

The USA is going down down the shi tter.

And i see no way to stop our demise.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

It all started with 'political correctness' which was double speak for 'thought crimes'. We generally disregarded it as a fad and laughed at it's idiocy but it's leading us down a sinister path.....

'In the end we'll make thought crime an impossibility because there will be no words to express them.' George Orwell (1984)

Subjugation of the mind....uuurgh
edit on 1-2-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join