It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know what's going on with the cable networks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think this is a forum where anyones opinion matters on this subject. I keep meaning to try to find someone to ask and here, we still have people who can think for themselves so here goes. Every weekend the quality of cable networks are just getting worse and worse. Channels like TNT and USA and AMC or giving us too many reruns during the day on the weekend. For instance one network I forget which unless I look at the TV guide is playing: Legally Blonde both movies again after doing it just the previous weekend. Hallmark which I rarely watch seems fixated on the Parent Trap both old and newer version. USA seems to like to rerun too much Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter ad nauseum on making a more of a nuisance than anything else for a good movie and gaining on speed is Pretty Woman and Lethal Weapon 4. What I'd like to know and is what happened to getting cable networks so you can have a choice of movies? What's up with alll the repeats. Do you think going digital ruined alot of movies? If I could afford a newer TV with HD I would definately ditch the cable, why does Comcast make us pay for networks i.e in my case we don't use such as HSN and Jewelry network and MSShopping or whatever that thing is called both jewelry and Ms were supposed to be for an increase of our viewing pleasure? Can anyone out there give me a logical reason for all the repetition? We pay $70.00 a month for practically no entertainment on the weekend.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe that is someones way of saying we watch too much tv, or too stupid to stop paying for reruns.

I dunno.
edit on 31-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

There are options to a cable subscription, at least for viewing. I watch my TV shows here:www.watchseries-online.eu... ( Putlocker is a good stream option)
And movies here:www.1channel.ch... ( you may want to download free version of DivX)
No commercials and decent resolution. I am not suggesting downloading by the way, but viewing yes.

Hope that helps, and saves ya money at least.

spec

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
OBEY. OBEY. OBEY. OBEY.
BUY THIS, BUY THAT.
OBEY. OBEY. OBEY. OBEY.
WATCH THIS, WATCH THAT.
YOUR LIVES ARE RERUNS
OBEY. OBEY. OBEY. OBEY

I agree, the tv nowadays is absolutely atrocious in subject matter.

Shut off the TV, pick up a book, you'll feel much better

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There is nothing new under the sun. For hollywood, this means that they are running out of crap with which to distract the sheeple. Thus they keep recycling the same old crap and then repackaging and updating the old crap so that the sheeple believe it to be new. Fear not, soon they will be recycling the sheeple as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Because networks realize that no matter what crap they air, people will watch it, and cable operators will bring them on their network to fluff the offerings. Its beyond me why people feel compeled to subscribe to cable, and im one of them. I pay $130+ a month.. and all I really use is the internet, because I have a work cell phone, and watch the history channel every now and then.

But if you call up and ask them to take crap off that you dont use, like comcast home phone service, they say "well its part of a package, and if you take it off, your price will go up" WTF

Actually thanks to this post, im going get off my lazy butt and call tonight and cancel phone and tv, because I have netflix.

S+F for you for helping my brain work, and get me out of slave zombie mode.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

There are options to a cable subscription, at least for viewing. I watch my TV shows here:www.watchseries-online.eu... ( Putlocker is a good stream option)
And movies here:www.1channel.ch... ( you may want to download free version of DivX)
No commercials and decent resolution. I am not suggesting downloading by the way, but viewing yes.

spec
Some other options are www.tv-links.eu... www.solarmovie.eu and www.movie2k.to
If you must consume the crap, at least stop paying for it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I agree. Kill your relationship with your cable provider, stick to internet and don't watch regular TV.

If you hate something vote with your wallet.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Choose your entertainment there are so many options now it is ridiculous not to! And stop being force feed the crap Cable pumps out!

I have Cancled my Cable at $130 a month what a waste! After how many years??? Don't ask! I feel like an idiot! Felt strange for a day or so but NOW WAHOOOOOO

I have a antenna now (no need for a special one if you have an HDTV or an HDTV converter but use the same antennas as the classic TV's REALLY!) Watch I have 30 some channels (all the locals I was watching sometimes anyway).

I still have the internet but...I am shopping for something else and SOON!

Cable needs to be dumped for all the crap you have to put up with! JUST DO IT!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I got satellite when I moved into my home in 1996. At the time, I bought every pay channel they had, which was like 7 HBO's, 4 or 5 Cinemax, Starz, TheMovieChannel, etc., so I have *all* of the pay channels. Got a great deal, along with all the other music and entertainment channels, and had to pay for "local" access, 7 bucks a month. Our total bill with the rental for the sat box was 99 dollars a month. They have now made local access free, but I can't have the charge removed from my bill, as it would "change my package".

Had that same contract, same bill since 1996. Well, they have begged, pleaded, cajoled and eventually boxed us into a corner on this contract. At first, they tried to offer us all sorts of different packages to change, which we politely refused. Why? Because this package is no longer offered, and to re-purchase it, would cost nearly double what we are paying. For whatever reason, seems this contract is not cancellable, and the original company they bought out had made it thus. The contract changed hands to this new company, and here we sit.

Now, when I say they have boxed us into a corner, if we wish to add or remove, or to make any changes to our package, we will have to forfiet the entire package and start over. So, we cannot add HD or anything else. I cannot add a new box to another room (which we did 3 years ago for free with an offer they made to existing customers), I cannot do anything. If I do, I lose the package.

My point in telling you this? Well, to point out that there is more than one pay channel, and if you want better service and more choices, you are going to have to pay for it. It is and was worth it to me to pay the 99 dollars a month, and I will keep the package for the foreseeable future because I really don't care about HDTV. I bought a BluRay player and I can see all the HD DVDs I want without having to choose from their picks, or pay extra for their HD decoder box or buy my own.

BTW, my favorite BluRay HD is a set we got on Planet Earth of 4 disks. Many hours of absolutely wonderful footage from Discovery Channel. Breathtakingly beautiful.

We buy BluRay movies when we can, which is fairly often, so no shortage of excellent movies in HD to see, so I don't feel cheated. And with the BluRay player, I can access youtube vids on my television, along with literally dozens of other free movie sites as well as Netflix and other pay sites I don't and won't patronize. It utilizes our internet account via Sony.

Simply put, you aren't locked in to the service unless you just cannot afford anything else.

and a P.S. Avoid TheDish like the plague, just IMHO.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Some of the problem is program packaging. The movies are sold in a block, with a an agreement for so many showings. You want Pirates? You have to take Beastmaster, too. I don't know if they keep the same production companies anymore, say, Viacom produces this tv show, so you buy the block of Viacom movies, but I recall it being that way.
Most of the packages are sold by name recognition, they put the Harry Potter option on top of the pile, and layered in between are movies like the Death Race remake. They run the name movie more to get more people to view.
They are kind of stuck.
Cable tv is now 24/7, there was a time the tv channels logged off, as late as when Poltergeist came out- (You see the flag and the National Anthem playing when Carol Ann wakes up.) Now the programmer has to cover that former dead space with content. It's like stretching a box of Hamburger Helper to last a week, instead of one day.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I have noticed a lot of repetition in programing too...and it is really annoying. I am seriously thinking of canceling my cable network... and just having (free digital TV) and going to the library which is free too...and checking out movies...and maybe join Netflix for around $15.00 a month....because with the library and Netflix I can choose what I want. Ya...I am just about ready to make this change! Think of how much money I will save!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I use satellite but it's the same problem. I'm thinking about cancelling my subscription and just using redbox. I don't watch programs and I'm not getting near my 130 dollars a month in value.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Follow the money.

It's in the "packaging".

What you are really wanting is the premium channels, like HBO, Cinemax and Showtime, and maybe something like Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network for the kids. They don't just give you the ones you want. It somehow has to come as a package that ALSO INCLUDES a whole bunch of these "in-between" channels that nobody in your house is really interested in, as well as the local channels that you already get by antenna. What this does is makes the subscriber pay to help sustain all those "in-between" channels, that nobody would normally support. It helps keep people employed making "entertainment" that you may or may not be interested in supporting, whether you want to view it or not.

It's starting to get the attention of more of the family-oriented activists, but it may still be a while before we can truly just pay for what we want to have and not pay for anything else. There's a lot of money that will put up a lot of resistance to losing your subscription dollars (think FAIRNESS DOCTRINE).

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Is anyone else pissed off at the current state of the History channel as well as the Discovery and Science and National Geographic channels? A lot of what I learned as a kid came from those channels and now we have # like Ameican pickers and Monster Hunters and Pawn Stars and Cajun Pawn stars for god's sake. H2 sometimes plays the good # but more often also plays these psuedo reality show monstrosities.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

spec

Excellent advice.

I wish however,1 channel had a better search function like by actor or director for example.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
And this is why I got rid of my cable provider.
Waste of $70 and time just sitting there staring at a TV for hours.
When in reality, it never taught me anything, I never actually enjoyed it...
It was becoming just like a routine, sit, eat, watch TV.
Screw that.

Now I am more productive and I feel slightly more intelligent.
Probably from reading alot...

Especially knowing all the emotional techniques used by networks today.
They don't need subliminal advertising anymore, they get what they want without it.
People today are extremely influenced by what they see on the TV.
Almost to the point where they have become addicted to it.

Break free and become an individual again.

It's actually quite refreshing to know you are not part of the crowd.
The programmed crowd.

Don't anyone get offended either...
But, if you have cable, chances are you emulate what you see.

edit on 31-1-2012 by havok because: clarity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

I'd be more pissed if the Ancient Aliens and Psychic Children and Haunted Hipsters would let me.
Everything's pseudo science now.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

I too am pissed at what they've done to those channels. My widowed friend"s husband would've been thoroughly pissed whenever they didn't have too much going on the way of movies he used to enjoy things about the ancient cultures and big kid at heart still like things about the dinosaurs. If he were still alive (dead for 10 years) he wouldn't believe the garbage they put on these channels now!

new topics

top topics

join