It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful Sun Storms May Sweep Away Space Junk. THANKS SOL :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
[COLOR=CYAN]
This I found to be really interesting that the SUN/SOL can clean up after human space waste also. So ATS this is just more proof of the abilities of the local STAR* It makes you wonder though ARE the recent falls of the satellites UARS and ROSAT and the FAIL of the Russian Phobos-Grunt related to UPGRADED SOLAR ACTIVITY. You would think these space related devices were supported well from cosmic radiation but...... Below are some devices that have fallen.
[/COLOR]

Violent sun storms that shoot bursts of energy in Earth's direction have the potential to damage satellites and power infrastructures, but they can also clear the skies of dangerous space debris, NASA scientists say.

The energy from these intense solar eruptions, called coronal mass ejections, causes the atmosphere to expand, creating more friction on pieces of space junk in orbit. The resulting drag sends orbital debris plummeting back toward Earth faster than trash from previous years.

More than 22,000 pieces of spent rocket parts and pieces of hardware ripped off from satellite collisions and explosions circle Earth, a minefield for functioning satellites and space travelers. Over time, the pieces fall back toward the planet, often burning up in the atmosphere.

"Everything is falling down," Nick Johnson, chief scientist for NASA's Orbital Debris Program in Houston, told SPACE.com. "It's just a question of at what rate."

www.space.com...

On 21 January 2001, a Delta 2 third stage, known as a PAM-D (Payload Assist Module - Delta), reentered the atmosphere over the Middle East. The titanium motor casing of the PAM-D, weighing about 70 kg, landed in Saudi Arabia about 240 km from the capital of Riyadh

The Mir Space Station and Earth limb observed from the Orbiter Endeavour during NASA's STS-89 mission in 1998. Mir was de-orbited on March 23, 2001 breaking up over the Pacific Ocean

This tank from the space shuttle Columbia, which was destroyed during re-entry to Earth in 2003, was found in 2011 in east Texas.

Description: An artist's concept of the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) satellite in space. The 6 1/2-ton satellite was deployed from space shuttle Discovery in 1991 and decommissioned in December 2005. It will re-enter Earth's atmosphere as debris in late 2011.

ROSAT (short for Röntgensatellit, in German X-rays are called Röntgenstrahlen, in honour of Wilhelm Röntgen) was a German Aerospace Center-led satellite X-ray telescope, with instruments built by Germany, the UK and the US. It was launched on 1 June 1990, on a Delta II rocket from Cape Canaveral, on what was initially designed as an 18 month mission, with provision for up to five years of operation. ROSAT actually operated for over eight years, finally shutting down on 12 February 1999.

In February 2011, it was reported that the 2,400 kg (5,291 lb) satellite was unlikely to burn up entirely while re-entering the Earth's atmosphere due to the large amount of ceramics and glass used in construction. Parts as heavy as 400 kg (882 lb) could impact the surface intact.[1] ROSAT eventually re-entered the Earth's atmosphere on 23 October 2011.[2]

(Reuters) - Russia blamed radiation on Tuesday for a computer glitch that doomed its Mars moon mission, but space industry experts cast doubt on the findings of an investigation into the crash of what was to be Moscow's first deep space mission in two decades.

The Phobos-Grunt spacecraft was stranded in Earth orbit after launch in November and crashed into the Pacific Ocean this month, one of five recent botched Russian launches.

Space agency chief Vladimir Popovkin also said Moscow would postpone the next U.S.-Russian manned mission to the International Space Station by one month from March over technical problems during testing of the Soyuz spacecraft.

[COLOR=CYAN]
What do you think ATS shall Earth experience more ARTIFICIAL falls related to the COSMIC weather or are we in the CLEAR NOW?
NAMASTE*******
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
[/COLOR]
edit on 1/31/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
good post, i am thinking that i need to reinforce that tin foil hat and work on the bob and weave.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

dont forget to duck lol and thanks for your input

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sweep all that junk in space away. Leave my house for me to clean...that's all I ask.

I too, wondered if the solar flare increased activity, has affected some of the recent launches. It makes sense, EMP's mess with electrical devices here on Earth...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Sweep all that junk in space away. Leave my house for me to clean...that's all I ask.

I too, wondered if the solar flare increased activity, has affected some of the recent launches. It makes sense, EMP's mess with electrical devices here on Earth...

Yes it makes lots of sense I hope the ISS is safe up there aswell. I had known the EMPS would cause shut down on these devices but I didnt think the drag from the SOL CMEs could cause so much movement or atmospheric friction to occur resulting in the space objects falling back to Earth. Its like a double impact on the circuts and the overall device moving.

Thanks Destinyone for your input

edit on 1/31/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Ophiuchus...BTW, am a Dec 13th. critter....

Your thread sent me on a small quest to find out some info. Here is a bit of what I read.

The risk near Earth, however, is limited. Astronauts in low-Earth orbit do not receive the full brunt of space radiation because the space station flies within Earth's protective magnetic field, which extends farther out.

"Based on the NASA Space Radiation Program?s analysis of events back to the 15th century, we estimate it would be almost impossible for a solar storm to occur that would be so large to lead to a recommendation to evacuate the ISS," Jeffs said.

Astronauts on a spacewalk, like the one planned for Saturday, can receive higher doses of space radiation, so they are timed to avoid high radiation events, NASA officials said.

Space radiation risk

Radiation exposure is measured in milliSeiverts. On Earth, the average human receives a radiation dose of about 2 mSv a year from background radiation. One mSv of space radiation is about the equivalent of receiving three chest X-rays, according to a NASA description.

Space station astronauts on six-month space missions typically receive about 80 mSv of space radiation during solar maximum ? about half the amount they receive when the sun's weather is at a solar minimum.?

Jeffs said that most solar weather events tend to lead to lower space radiation exposure for astronauts because increased solar activity can result in lower doses of galactic cosmic rays.

Those stronger cosmic rays ? space radiation that does not come from the sun ? are a larger risk for station astronauts and future explorers to Mars or elsewhere beyond Earth orbit, he added.
www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

wow! thanks for the support in the thread Destinyone I wasnt sure if the ISS was in danger incase a large flare came thru. I appreciate your help and clarification of my question
And your not a 1213 critter your a creation
thanks again, atleast they have considered the possibilites up there near ISS.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Interesting information!
I do wonder about the space junk that falls back to Earth though-I wonder how many bits we don't know about,that are sitting in someone garage/house.
I know some of the stuff can be dangerous,but Those spheres would make a great plant pot or water feature in the garden.

Would you tell the authorities if you found some cool space junk?
I like to think I would-but if I found something really cool,it would be a tough decision to make...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Interesting information!
I do wonder about the space junk that falls back to Earth though-I wonder how many bits we don't know about,that are sitting in someone garage/house.
I know some of the stuff can be dangerous,but Those spheres would make a great plant pot or water feature in the garden.

Would you tell the authorities if you found some cool space junk?
I like to think I would-but if I found something really cool,it would be a tough decision to make...

I think it would be safe to say the larger parts may flal and I do stress MAY fall and get tracked during enter phase of Earth atmosphere but wouldnt doubt some may get missed.
As for the question of would I keep the space debris even if it seemed valuable no I wouldnt because it may carry contanimants not burned durin reentry that may effect or infect my fanily or friends I may encounter and thats not fair to them. So I would let NASA or whoever take it. Everytime I think of stuff falling and someone in the general populace tampering withi it I think of the movie creepshow where the Farmer finds a meteor and becomes a plant
that was my lesson at a very young age so its theirs, maybe as a favor they could erase some school debt ouch

Take care Silcone Synapse and thanks for your input

top topics

join