It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unselfishness Trap - Logical Arguments for Selfishness?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Logical argument for selfishness: Survival of the Fittest.

In the purely selfish world you would want your DNA to be passed on, at any cost. In the most extreme sense, as in nature, you'd do anything you could (including euthanasia of step-children because they do not share your DNA, and you'd want more resources for your own DNA-related offspring) to have your DNA passed on to the next generation.

In a less extreme sense, being overly selfish in our society usually gains you wealth, power, career success, and so on. But, you may end up losing connections with other human beings in the process, hurting your chances of procreative success.

In reality, balance is key to survival. You need to be both selfish and unselfish to successfully compete for financial and procreative prosperity.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
reply to post by WWu777

In a less extreme sense, being overly selfish in our society usually gains you wealth, power, career success, and so on. But, you may end up losing connections with other human beings in the process, hurting your chances of procreative success. .

This is a misconception. If you are a selfish person and you want a good social life, you'll find a way to make that happen and it will be with people that can ACCEPT you for being who you truly are and you the same for them...

If two people are selfish, they are not dependent on each other and if one of them DOES need help, then they will help the other person because they WANT to and not be forced into doing something that they don't want to do.

So selfish people help you because it comes from their HEART not because they feel like they must.

Or they can help because they are getting something in return IF they don't feel like doing something, which is in that case fair.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I used to believe in the selfish anthem: do what you want as long as you don't hurt others...
After being a selfish prick i realized that happiness comes from taking care of me and others too, everyone is happy, much better...
Now, i cant just ignore the suffering of others. And even if i could, i wouldnt, you know what i believe?
We are one being, everyone is me, i am everyone, so if my brother is in pain, i am in pain, so i must take care of it if i can.
Take care.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If you guys want to be rich go ahead and do it, but can you do it helping yourselves and the people around you?
Can you be good to others and yourself, the secret is to be good to both.
Its not easy but wisdom is being good to everyone involved in the situations we are living.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Agreed, see option 3.

I said "may", because there are always exceptions to the rule. I am talking about in the most extreme financial sense.

But, I am talking more about, for example, people who skyrocket to the top of a major company. Say they make tons of money, but spend 80+ hours per week at the job, cannot keep a stable relationship, and never have children. This is what I mean by hurting one's procreative success.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Here are two related chapters from the same book, "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World". They present many airtight logical arguments on why you will never be happy or at peace, if you feel that you have to help others or change the world first before helping yourself.

The Utopia Trap
The Burning-Issue Trap

Read them and you will be stunned at how much sense these arguments make. You can download a free copy of the ebook at the link below. Right click and select "Save As".

www.happierabroad.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
reply to post by WWu777

I used to believe in the selfish anthem: do what you want as long as you don't hurt others...
After being a selfish prick i realized that happiness comes from taking care of me and others too, everyone is happy, much better...
Now, i cant just ignore the suffering of others. And even if i could, i wouldnt, you know what i believe?
We are one being, everyone is me, i am everyone, so if my brother is in pain, i am in pain, so i must take care of it if i can.
Take care.

Well everyone is different. Not everyone derives happiness from helping others. I like to help others by spreading knowledge and awareness, but not by doing mundane charity work. If that makes you happy, that's fine. But it's not right for you to force others to do the same and make them feel obligated, as though they can't be happy unless they help others first. That would infringe upon their happiness and rights as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It is in your own interest to help others in many cases. If you help others, then other people will like you, and will help you in your own time of need. Therefore, you can be selfish by helping others. It's a win-win.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Some would consider me selfish ... but if you don't look out for number one you might step in number two! There has to be boundries ... you can't give yourself away into poverty or support so many family members that you work while they play.

I can see it both ways ... but if you need resources to live for example ... if your car is an old junker on its last leg it probably isn't a good idea to be the family taxi if you need the car for work or school .... cars and other products have a limited life expentacy and when you use it up ... you better be able to afford another ....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join