It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Neighborhood Organization, or Who Do You Trust?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I've read a lot of survival threads here, and people have talked about how it's important to know your neighbors and to organize them for a SHTF scenario. While I agree in principle, I'm here to discuss why it might not be such a good idea.

Back in August, we received a flyer from a new neighborhood organization, inviting us to a meeting to discuss potential community projects such as a community garden, and ways to help elderly neighbors in case of emergency. We didn't attend the meeting, opting to take a wait-and-see attitude. Fewer than 20 people from a 500 household neighborhood attended that meeting.

Didn't hear anything else until a few weeks ago, when we received a mailing, saying that the organization was "partnering" with the local medical center to "determine the health care needs of our community." (Huh? Sent up a red flag right there.) We were asked to return an enclosed survey asking general questions about our health care and how we feel about the health care of our neighbors. Into the round file it went, as I had no intention of participating in something so intrusive. I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way, since the local newspaper stated that "fewer than 50" surveys had been returned. We hoped that this would be the end of the matter, but no such luck.

Last week, we received a flyer informing us that nursing students from a nearby university had been recruited to go door-to-door in our neighborhood, to help us fill out our surveys. (How insulting.) It contained this vaguely threatening message: " You have the right to refuse but we encourage everyone to put community first. Your community needs your ideas. That's why we're asking." (Hadn't we already refused by not returning the survey?)

First of all, this is the poor neighborhood in a rich town, and nobody has ever given a flip about our "ideas". Second, I'm pretty sure that the pricier neighborhoods would never tolerate this kind of activity. And third, isn't this exactly how one of those "focus centers" would go about gathing intelligence?

They didn't seem to be able to state succinctly what they hope to gain from this activity, and a lot of mistrust has arisen. Are they "guinea-pigging" the poor folk to see how much intrusion we'll put up with?

Do I want to help my neighbors? Sure I do. Do I want everybody knowing how well-prepared I am for an emergency? No, I do not. Do I want everybody knowing what resources I have, and what I have in my stockpiile? No, I do not. I'm a family-first person, not a community-first person.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Is our paranoia justified?

(Pardon the blank first post. I'm an inexperienced poster.)
edit on 31-1-2012 by NazcaP because: Accidentally posted blank post.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NazcaP

WHERE IS YOUR THOUGHT OR REASONING FOR THIS TREAD???????????

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I see.. good point... I dotn want my nieghbors.. knowing what i can do for them...

If they can live without me, ill coexist with them... but I refuse to be mother teresa, for the entire lakeside comunity I live in... we have plenty of water for all; i dont see any need for me to watch out for all the old floks who will die anyway...

I support your decision; dont let them people pry in, and flag you...
I bet good money, they wana get rid of; anyone who could survive without f.e.m.a. support...

they dont want self suficient people, they want slaves, who need them...
people who can live without currency, are the biggest threat to our government...

edit on 31-1-2012 by AwnAegisean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You could always just lie on the survey. Could actually work in your benefit. I agree with your 'paranoia'.

Think about it. I want to survive. What better way for me to find out which neighborhood houses would be the most likely to acquire medical supplies, than to 'survey' all my neighbors?

I would actually attend these meetings and find out as much as you can, just lie abut your address, name, info, etc. Unless your next door neighbor is there, who would know.

If SHTF, you need to know which neighbors are friends but even more so, which could be enemies. It's just basic recon!

top topics

join