It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece wipes out Citizens Debt!! Tells Bankers to suck it

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

If you have $300,000 debt in school "loans" you must have had some decent credit at some point. if you have
a co-signer, then don't show them your post about not caring about your credit.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

It wasn't the fault of the Greek people that created the debt - it was backroom deals between bankers and Greek politicians (namely Goldman Sachs)
They're on the horns of a dilemma here - if they write off the debt the first thing to happen will be a terrible devaluation of Greek currency. This will make imports insanely expensive and can only result in even more instability if they cannot acquire new loans.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

It wasn't the fault of the Greek people that created the debt - it was backroom deals between bankers and Greek politicians (namely Goldman Sachs)

Agreed, but it was still the Greeks politicians who got them in this mess. I would love to see your information on how these so called backroom deals got them here. To me it appears to be simple government overspending. That is somthing the citizens of Greece must prevent the government from doing. Here in my country i belong to a lobby group that pressures the government to start posting balanced budgets.

Greece released their non-cooked information to the EU after it was discovered their cooked their books in order to get into the EU in the first place. This new information showed massive fiscal mismanagement. A whole 1 in 5 Greece employed by the government, welfare given freely and easily, undermining the motivation required to work. They insist on hanging onto money sinks such as the Greek national railway. This railway is bleeding money left, right and center, yet the government turn down offers to sell it.

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
They're on the horns of a dilemma here - if they write off the debt the first thing to happen will be a terrible devaluation of Greek currency. This will make imports insanely expensive and can only result in even more instability if they cannot acquire new loans.

Which is exactly why they MUST follow through with austerity. There is simply no other way out for a debt plagued, import based economy with a massive trade deficit.
edit on 31-1-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It happens in the U.S. all the time. Fully employed people who just got in over their heads because something came up.

Usually, it's over medical bills.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
This story .IF TRUE........ really pisses me Off

Because.............

I have been sensible and careful with the money i have.........

I have NOT borrowed excessively or put myself in DEBT but if all thats going to happen is that those whom can't control themselves today or over the past decade get REWARDED by having their debt (and Responsibilities) written off then that is just UNFAIR on people like me......

I will be very annoyed and angry if true..

PDUK

Why you have so many stars for such a post really shows whats wrong with some people in todays world.
Why would you care about such a thing?? what impact does it have on you??, does it change you're life in anyway at all??. Ask yourself them questions and you will see its NO to everyone of them.
The banks have robbed most people dry, i for one am happy about this and i hope to see alot more country's follow..

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

I share your sentiments exactly. The problem is that people do not show anyone any mercy or empathize with them. The prevailing opinion is that if these people fell into financial trouble, it is entirely their own fault. That opinion assumes many things...among them that these people were afforded the same level of education, the same opportunities, etc. It also assumes that these people are just spending willy nilly with absolutely no regard for repayment. I am certain this is the case at times but I am equally certain that it is mostly people who are victims of predatory lending practices.

So often on this site I see comments about how they do not like religion because it is so full of hate and hypocrites. That true religion is about love. Then I see comments like the ones here full of anger and lack of sympathy. We should love all and empathize with all- not only those that are just as smart or responsible as we.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

you don't owe them jack sh-t. what you owe is your mortgage, credit card, phone, cable etc.

what they do with your taxes and what they do in your name is their responsibility.

it's all an embezzlement scheme. politicians and their lobbyists get rich, and then tell you that you're in debt.

it's all fantasy and not based in the real world.

if only the people of america actually controlled the printing of money like the constitution claims you can.

unfortunately and conveniently they took the phrase "the power to coin money" literally. and america, the people, are stuck making quarters and nickels.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Here's an article that highlights Goldman Sachs meddling in Greece-
www.nytimes.com...

It's called cooking the books. We can't blame the people for the misdeeds of their politicians.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

This is what should have been done instead we bailed out the big business and banks that could now have been replaced with hundreds of new smaller ones who appreciate having the business...like it used to be.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
This story .IF TRUE........ really pisses me Off

Because.............

I have been sensible and careful with the money i have.........

I have NOT borrowed excessively or put myself in DEBT but if all thats going to happen is that those whom can't control themselves today or over the past decade get REWARDED by having their debt (and Responsibilities) written off then that is just UNFAIR on people like me......

I will be very annoyed and angry if true..

PDUK

That's already what happened with huge greedy corps. with the bailouts....should have been handed to working persons who have been carrying the whole load and now have nothing.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

Sad to say, but that's just the way the world is these days. Blind, dishonest sheep who cannot help themselves get all the rewards while the rest of us who try to get by in an honest manner suffer for our good nature. Everything's all ass backwards and topsy-turvy. The concept of equality in this world is a total farce, and it becomes more annoyingly obvious to me with each passing year. Then again, maybe I'm just jaded...who knows

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Them who controle the world banks will put a stop to this.
but I would love for all world banks to do this.

we are brain wash't to buy buy buy!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

fake money = fake debt

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

I have a lot of sympathy for those people that have lived within their means, that have taken out mortgages and improved their homes only to find that now their homes are worth a fraction of what they owe through no fault of their own, I also have a lot of sympathy for those people that haven't spent outrageously but have taken out loans and used credit cards etc that now find themselves unemployed, again through no fault of their own, with no means of repaying what they owe, my anger in these cases is directed towards the banksters and incompetent/corrupt politicians that enabled this to happen.

What I do not and cannot condone is PERSONAL debt forgiveness for those that have spent recklessly, holidays (sometimes more than one) every year, brand new cars on the driveway (fair enough those loans are usually secured on the car so they will lose that!!), 10 credit cards in their wallet all spent to the max on the latest gadgets etc etc all without having the means to repay what they have borrowed. Just because the banks (very much so in Greece) were throwing credit cards and loans at people does not mean they had to take them and spend to the max!!
IMO if they want debt forgiveness/relief then they must first show that they have done everything in their power to repay those debts by selling all the tat they bought, then and only then would I consider having any sympathy for them. And yes mcdgray129 it DOES impact on me, if they don't pay, who do you think will?? It certainly won't be the banks!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

Originally posted by Nite_wing
I just read every American owes the Government $189,000. I can't pay that. I wonder if a bankruptcy court would wipe out my personal debt to the government?

I never agreed to have the government spend me into debt and I bet you didn't either. This money is owed by Congress, not by citizens. They're the one who supposedly approved the "budgets" that generated $189k per man, woman and child. Go after them for it. I wash my hands and feet of the whole mess.

I hope this spreads like wildfire and Greece just plain stiffs the banks. Its been the other way round for far too long.

God, you really don't understand sarcasm, do you?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981
Since I am Greek I can verify that there is a law from mrs Katseli where households that are indebted with crazy amounts of money and can't pay anymore have their debts deleted or they pay for some years an amount which allows them to have enough money to survive as well.

Considering the fact that all those banks have already taken their money back from EU packets and since the % they charge extra is worst than loan sharks then I guess it's only fair for this thing to happen.

That sounds like a typical bankruptcy. Is that all it is, just different perhaps than what occurs in the US?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

So did you cry this much when the bankers got bailed out? Or is it only when the people are on the same caliber as you?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I can't speak for GeorgiaGirl, and I don't think she's crying about anything, just pointing out facts. For myself, I ranted, raved, wrote to my TD (member of parliament), protested, shouted and ranted and raved some more, not that it did any good
. And I still am ranting and raving about it to anyone that'll listen, not that many around me seem to care much, what's on the propoganda box is far more important

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

So did you cry this much when the bankers got bailed out? Or is it only when the people are on the same caliber as you?

As a matter of fact, yes. You should reap what you sow.

And I don't consider people who are in super-debt to be in the "same caliber" as me, as you put it. (Unless it is something out of their control like catastrophic medical expenses. I'm talking about lifestyle debt. NO ONE should be bailed out for that.)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Finally a country uses it's brain and does a deb forbearance. This is what should have been done in the United States during the whole fiasco. Everyone would still have their homes. I applaud the country of Greece for making a rationale decision that makes sense. All America had to do was take everyone Principal owed and subtract it from the current value and it would have stabilized the real estate market, then put in regulations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join