It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something many have never thought of...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have been thinking about several things with a SHTF lately. I see the global economy and figure...we all could be in for a long tough road ahead, with that being said, I know that during times in history, many illnesses took a lot of lives. People that weren't very healthy didn't make it through...some didn't have the right mindset or just to weak mentally, to deal with it.
Now some wanna run to the hills and camp and live like Grizzly Adams in the woods and avoid it all, and others see life like Red Dawn. Either way, if your out in the woods or at a BOL, when someone gets sick...it spreads and causes many to catch it. After awhile, your bodies build an immunity to many things and the strongest survive.
If your a single guy/girl....would you want someone from the opposite gender there? Many of us have a wife/husband,boy boyfriend/ girl friend. Have you thought about if your partner doesn't make it?
If we have a major event, and say 1/3-1/2 of the population dies, chances are..someone your close to will be in those numbers.
For those of you that are single and don't have a partner...how would you find someone to start a life with?
We all would be starting over and starting a new life...many would be alone and wanting or needing someone.
How would do that? Is there anything your doing now to make sure that your not going to go through hell, just to be alone?
I know that many times in my life, I wished I had someone else there with me, but due to my geographical location and job...it was impossible. I have seen the most amazing sunrises and sunsets alone. I have seen the middle of the atlantic ocean look like a sheet of glass, some of the places I've been and things I have seen...all I wanted was someone to share it with, yet there I was alone.
I just wanted to mention this, it too... is a prep...if your partner isn't with you, or mentally isn't able to deal with what is or has happened...they might give up, quit or eat there own bullet. There will be those that are able to make it through, but say they get a cut or there is an accident and they get hurt and die...
I am saying this because if this does happen...what will you do? Are you able to still survive on your own, or without them? Would you wanna find someone else to be there for you?

There will still be all the chores and gathering to do, security, gardening, patrols, building, and storing of anything and everything you need...so can you do it on your own? Men can you do the gardening...women do you know how to do everything your partner can?
Are any of you including your partner in survival schools, shooting schools, or even teaching them how to hunt and fish? You all get the idea.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

edit on 31-1-2012 by will615 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

You make some good points. I love my wife and want to take care of her.

But you know when the power went out for a week she was a little annoying.

We have a generator. Why not use it.

I'm like the power is out I have gas but the gas stations does not have power so if I run outa gas your not gonna get a hot shower hoeny.

She was so pissy it was not even funny.

I would run the gas firplace all day then turn on the gen to keep the freezers cold then take hot showers and the such and then shut it down to conserve ..She was all pissed WTF I wann watch my shows.

I'm like well honey what happens if the power does not come back on for a week or 2 then what.

I have enough gas that I can store safely.

If power was out I could heat my house for several months living off the grid on my gen.

Now putting up with her with no tv and the PMS.

I think I might lose my mind.

You ladies can get all freaky you know what I mean.

I know I could do it with or without.

Its surviving.

You live or you die.

I choose live.

Other may just give up.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I hear you...I had a ex that was very much like that...camping to her was a cabin at a resort...with a hot tub and all the comforts of home. Not all women are like that, but many are. Are you getting her realize that things could easily change?

There will come a time when you have everything done, and can just sit back and relax.
You will be safe and secure, when that happens...will the lack of things to do...drive you/them crazy? What I mean is, the work is done, winter is here, your hanging out in the cabin and you have plenty of everything to get you through...will your partner drive you crazy then...when they aren't busy and occupied with tasks to keep there minds busy?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I don't know if it is our age or family type, but my father taught us girls a ton of stuff while we were young. I can shoot, gut, make a cane pole, kill a chicken, all that stuff. Hubby's dad taught him as well, so we both know the basics. I do take the time to try to learn still now, if he is out "tinkering" with something, I'm out there, probably driving him crazy, but he is patient. If he isn't home and something goes wrong at the house, I just fix it my self. Most stuff isn't that hard to figure out, and a good do it yourself book helps.
I would of course want him with me, but, in the event that something did happen, I think I would be ok.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Thats great to hear...not many women are as outgoing and eager to learn, as you are.

Its not like we can go to the game or over for poker night at Joe's once this all happens...maybe after awhile we could...but I don't think that would be happening for quite a while once IT hits the fan.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

LOL even if we had everything done and had to be together for endless hours, as long as we have a deck of cards and a backgammon board, we wouldn't kill each other.

edit on 31-1-2012 by chiefsmom because: wording

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

N obecause I can oppupie her time she is in to quilting so she will be busy making blankets and making stuff.

She can get aggravated who wouldn't. I guess when she finally realalized I was right she started to simmer down.

I think we will be fine..Sometimes people forget how good we have I do not.

I lived out in the woods before in the army been there done that.

I know what it is like to survive and I welcome the elements with open arms.

I could and would survive and so would my family.

I guess up until the time someone comes to try to take or invade my home. Then it is time to fight to survive.

There are some many things out in the land to provide us happiness.

Look out your window see the birds the animals.

its winter hear and the birds are out at the feeder. Right now as I type I see 2 baby red headed wood peckes.
I feel like I rasied those babies as I saw the mother and then the babies and now they are getting bigger.

There are plenty of tasty animals to eat for survival. And the spring is time to plant.

I have enogu seeds to last me a couple of years.

Usually at the end of the season I buy all the seeds from them at a low discont.

I bough all there left over seeds for 50 bucks.

When I went home to count all the packets I had over 300 dollars worth of seeds.

I understand they are only good for so long. But let me let me tell you they last for a while if you store them correclty.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think when push comes to shove a good chunk of the worlds women will tuck in and show vast amounts of resiliency and usefulness. And think of it this way, if after the dust settles and we are forced back into a sort of hunter gatherer farming species there will be a lot of tasks and jobs that most women would find unsavory and they will gladly accept tasks and jobs that most men naturally hate. While we split wood build fences slaughter livestock hunt gut shoot and repair they can be sewing knitting gathering gardening creating singing and otherwise making life bearable and pleasurable.

And i mean that in the least sexist way possible.

Also i think having a companion with you during a world wide catastrophe would give you hope and goals, keep you from giving in to despair and encourage you to push forward and make the best of the situation.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Chiefsmom and Rocky Black....you both have good points..card games, board games for entertainment.
Hobbies like quilting or kneedle point...are great for keeping you busy to.

Its good to hear that you both have thought about things ahead of time

A lot of people think to prep the beans bullets and band aids...they forget about idol time and bat crap crazy...
I to welcome the nature all around me, I love being in the woods and listening to the birds and turkey. Even the feel and sight of a good fire is an amazing thing to just sit and watch.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

I do agree with you there...your being realistic.
Many think that they can do it all, but really without having someone to be there with you...it could be a tough road without a light at the end of the tunnel, they would be the one's to make you wanna get up in the morning and continue to do your best. They would be a huge driving factor for many.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Well, whether you're single or not, both have there advantages and disadvantages.

If your out and about on your own and break your ankle, you may well be screwed, depending upon your location. No ones coming to look for you.

Then again, a needy spouse my root you in your location, refusing to move, which you know will doom you and your family. Even though you have given your life to this person, do you have what it takes to move on and survive?

The problem with life...is life. It comes on fast and takes no prisoners.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ok so what if you don't have someone to be there with you?
How do you find someone then? or now? That would be an asset to have with you when it happens?

If your into the outdoors and you spend most of your time doing what you do(camping, hunting, fishing) How do you find someone? Just curious because in many areas in this country..there seems to only be 1 thing to do for fun, for most people...thats go to the bar, and I am not into that.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I can rough it with the best of them, as long as I have some water, a fire, and a washcloth, I can warm the water and at least keep somewhat clean. I have tons of books to read and lots of candles, also a lot of yarn and things to crochet. My husband's a good shot, so we won't go hungry. Plus I have a great deal of canned food.

I have a good amount of herbal antimicrobials stored up, in case of illness or infection. If something happens to my husband, I will survive....I won't be happy, but I will survive, and we have a community of survivalists out here, so I won't be entirely lonely. If I die, my husband will be a wreck, but he's cute, so he'll find another lonely woman and start again.

People are incredibly resourceful when they have to be.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
if anything globally catastrophic was to happen... the threat would be airborne and the only way to survive would be underground... there will be nothing to hunt and skin but vermin and man.... and you'd have to be equipped with underground trapping skills or you will be forced to survive off bugs or what you manage to grow in your underground shack... just about every human being that can survive this will develop illnesses, disease, and aches because our bodies are adapting to the newly living arrangement... our bodies will attempt to evolve as we give birth and most of the abnormal traits developed will kill off loved ones and friends/foes... we will no longer be considered human as we will evolve traits of underground mammals... if we are lucky enough to survive at all

always remember... in a fight and you gotta choose who... go for the dude with the phantom limb first as he's a defect to our species and also as a lion is out hunting wildebeasts... they go for the slowest and weakest (mostly female and if she has a fetus inside her that's the bonus)
edit on 31-1-2012 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is something I've thought about at length. The conclusion I've come to is that if there is a survivable scenario the best option would be to band together with as many people as possible and begin to rebuild some semblance of society. Playing lone wolf in the woods and talking to a volleyball while fighting off other hard core survivalists doesn't sound as appealing to me as much as it did ten years ago.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
reply to post by Rocky Black

I hear you...I had a ex that was very much like that...camping to her was a cabin at a resort...with a hot tub and all the comforts of home. Not all women are like that, but many are. Are you getting her realize that things could easily change?

There will come a time when you have everything done, and can just sit back and relax.
You will be safe and secure, when that happens...will the lack of things to do...drive you/them crazy? What I mean is, the work is done, winter is here, your hanging out in the cabin and you have plenty of everything to get you through...will your partner drive you crazy then...when they aren't busy and occupied with tasks to keep there minds busy?

I know what you mean. I've bugged my boyfriend time and time again to go camping and to practice "survival" skills in the mountains just to be prepared in case SHTF. He doesnt want to do and would rather be in a cabin than in an actual tent. I suggested we hunt for our own food again but thats a big no. Its always good to be prepared and I would love to be able to test out skills I have right now and be able to learn in case a major catastrophe were to happen. We've been spoiled way too much in this society !

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

the could hard fact is, after 9/11 we are all walking dead in some form or other, "here today, gone tomorrow" yes lot of my friend s have died , from this that or other, has it made me cold no, still willing to give shirt off my back , just know when it happens, flu, bug, bio, nuke or infection, as in today's world the best you can do is know there is nothing you can do. Gun shot wounds, broken legs/ limbs can be fixed some things can not, no use crying over spilled milk.

edit on 31-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Black mentalmist
I think its outstanding for you to be the one who...is the driving force to be prepared.
I wish you luck in getting him to join you in thought and preps. Having someone that isn't on board...and having to teach them everything, after the fact wouldn't be fun at all. It would, in my opinion actually bring you down, because your doing everything for 2...and thats not right. Everyone should pull there own weight...it sound like he is one of the sheeple that will be eaten by the wolves.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

here is a cold fact when SHTF and your still with him your both toast,for he will slow you down or tell you i'm not eating that some will not eat bugs, bo wa it is called survival , aint not walk in the park, or Sunday school. live or die , live and do what it takes , now shut up and eat that grub, worm and grasshopper, meal worms yum yum. now for rabbit or possum stew.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join