It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Take A Leaf Out Of the Down's Book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have a sister that has Down's syndrome, I was about to write "suffers from Down's Syndrome" but "suffer" isn't anywhere near what Down's people feel, the total opposite in most cases. Anyways, I was watching Glee the other night (lynch me now
) and it was the second series episode called "Funeral" in which Sue Sylvester's sister (who has Down's) dies. Now, my sister is very special to me, and I have been asked before "how do you think you'll feel if your family members die?" I think of each family member, and I would be equally devastated by all of them dying (I have 7 brothers and sisters, and mother and father obviously), but, and I know it's wrong, I would absolutely break down, and almost do just at the thought of my sister Kayleigh dying.

After watching the Glee episode, I was in tears, because I had no idea that Down's people die quite young generally, and to know that such magical people could be genetically coded to die quite young is such a heartbreaker for me. Down's people are such a gift to interact with, they are unconditionally loving, they are funny, often have much more common sense than the average person (although usually more educationally challenged, but that really doesn't matter), and bring a sense of joy and laughter into the world through the fact that they generally don't "grow up" into the adults that plague our world today. In Glee, they caught the magic of Down's people perfectly, in that Sue Sylvester, a very very mean woman to everybody she meets, and never shows any emotion, is utterly devastated when her sister dies, and although she maintains her usual sensibility, she breaks down and can't do her eulogy at the funeral. The funeral is decorated to look like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, because it was her sister's favourite movie (the older version). This was when I broke into tears, was when another Down's girl who Sue threw off the cheerleading squad because she looked like her sister (due to the Down's) comes into Sue's office to turn in her pom-poms and megaphone, and Sue makes her captain, and asks her for a hug, and the girls face turns into a beam of sunshine, and is absolutely ecstatic.

Enough of this Glee nonsense now, just too much emotion for me to handle. The main point is, I think we should all take a look at Down's people, and see how much happier and simpler life is due to the fact that they don't take anything seriously, they see life as having fun, being musical and artistic, being talkative, laughing and smiling all the time, hugging all the time, being carefree, and just living for what you're worth. There are a lot of people that are generally quite mean towards Down's people, and are particularly of the view that they are just monkeys with a bit more intelligence, which is of course a disgusting opinion, but I think they are more magical than us average people with our measly 1 pair of 21-chromosome

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I worked with Down's people for years. You are correct, they are such beautiful people. They are people without prejudice and hatred, and are full of laughter, happiness, and have a pure joy over simple things that is simply infectious.

Their loving, happy nature, and their sunshiney sweetness, made my normally difficult job worthwhile. The few that passed while I was on the job upset me greatly, it was like a star had stopped shining in the sky.

Yes they do tend to die young, which is why every moment with your sister is a precious gift for you. Enjoy those moments as she does, and make wonderful memories that will last forever.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thank you

Yeah, I was thinking about working with disabled people, but I can't really afford the specific qualifications, if they are needed. I have an A-Grade high school attendance, but never did any university or college, unfortunately, so looks like I may have to put this on hold

join