It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran, perceiving threat from West, willing to attack on U.S. soil, U.S. intelligence report finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

This is NOT new news nor warmongers drumming up charges…this has been known for quite some time. Iran has been working with like-minded thug dictators in South America for several years. After all, they share a common enemy…US!

Prior to 9/11, no terrorist group had killed more Americans than Hezbollah. Like its patron, Iran, Hezbollah is committed to America's destruction.

Now the two jihadist forces are spreading their tentacles throughout Latin America and, according to experts, could go operational at a moment's notice.

This connection has been brought up several times in several threads (by me and others) and the response is always the same:

1) That’s not true, or
2) Iran poses no threat to US, or
3) So what? America is in Iran’s backyard so why shouldn’t Iran be in America’s backyard.

If you don’t understand why this is significant, maybe this will help you:

Cardenas said the Iranians are using Venezuela not only to evade sanctions but to mine for uranium that will be used to build nuclear weapons.

There have also been reports that Iran plans to build a missile base in Venezuela.

"These missiles would obviously be able to hit urban centers in Florida," Cardenas warned. "They would also be able to debilitate the Panama Canal."

"And if they debilitate the Panama Canal, that would have profound economic consequences for the United States," he added.

Cardenas believes that in the event of a U.S. or Israeli strike against Iran's nuclear facilities, Iran is well-positioned to strike back.

"If the U.S. cold war with Iran turns hot, they're going to use their platform in Venezuela to strike at U.S. interests" he said.

CBS

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

I wasn't pointing to any Party.
My point was the BS excuses the US will use to gain their goal of war.
No Partisan here, Obama is turning the US into a Dictatorship.
Both Parties are just 2 heads of the same monster.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Nice post , actually a few truths in it, good for you.

But actually its not just the South Americans.

It would be hard to find many countries that would shed a tear if the US took a Black Eye.
Even friends of Bullies know they are bullies.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

i dont know why you came up with the opinion you did?

i merely stated in the Opening post that it was a news story to instill fear and in turn garner support for an attack.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

My point was that people aren't trying to drum up support. Iran IS milling around in South America and they very likely will launch terrorist attack. This isn't warmongering...its pointing out a serious threat to national security.

I'm not of the opinion that we should turn our backs on threats.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is not a surprise. The Iranians have a vast intelligence network and have carried out strikes all over the world. Some examples would include the attacks on the Marine Corp barracks bombing in Lebanon, Khobar Towers bombings, and the two bombings of the Israeli embassy and AMIA bombing in Argentina. They have been alleged to have been involved in funding, training, and arming the Iraqi insurgency during the Iraq War.

Iran Playing ‘Destabilizing Role’ in Iraq, Crocker Says

Petraeus noted that multinational forces have determined an element of the Iranian Republican Guard’s Corps known as the Quds Force has provided training, equipment, arms, funding and, in some cases, even direction to terrorists in Iraq.

“When we captured the leaders of these so-called special groups … and the deputy commander of a Lebanese Hezbollah department that was created to support their efforts in Iraq, we’ve learned a great deal about how Iran has, in fact, supported these elements and how those elements have carried out violent acts against our forces, Iraqi forces and innocent civilians,” Petraeus said.

US links Iran to attack in Iraq

The US military in Iraq has accused Iran of orchestrating an attack that killed five US soldiers and of using Lebanese militants to train insurgents.

The information came from a top Hezbollah fighter recently captured in southern Iraq, an army spokesman said.

More below about the incident above in a thread I started a few years ago.

A murder mystery with the Iraq War as the backdrop

All the incidents above shows that Iran has the propensity to carry out attacks on an international scale. Moreover, there are large communities of Iranian diaspora in the US and Western Europe who could facilitate attacks if ordered by the government in Tehran.

Iranian diaspora

As of 2010, there are an estimated four to five million Iranians living abroad, mostly in North America, Europe, Persian Gulf States, Turkey, Australia and the broader Middle East.[1][2][3]

Now please note, the article above states that most of the people in these communities fled Iran after the fall of the Shah. However, in these very communities I would not be surprised if there were intelligence agents representing the Islamic Republic of Iran as well. Most of them holding regular jobs like doctors, cab drivers, small business owners, ect. They are certainly no slouches in the arena of intelligence, trade craft, and western concepts of clandestine operations.

Iran's elite and mysterious fighters

At most, the force numbers 2,000, said Mahan Abedin, director of research at the Center for the Study of Terrorism, a London think tank.

"It's a remarkably efficient organization, quite possibly one of the best special forces units in the world," he said.

The examples above prove how far they are willing to go. The unconventional side of a war with Iran is the thing that makes me the most concerned. Their influence and reach is widespread. This is definitely something that should be taken into account before engaging in any kind of military strike against Iran. In a conventional sense, I don't perceive Iran being much of a problem, but they have proved to be quite lethal on the international battlefield. Securing US and its allies' assets both at home and abroad will be no small feat. It will be a herculean effort.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Do you know that George senior used that total BS to attack.

Clinton used the totally false claim of a woman being raped to get troops into Bosnia too. Remember that one!! dont make this discussion a Partisan One!

That’s a very simplistic and inaccurate portrayal of the events leading to intervention in Bosnia. You seem to conveniently ignore that Milosevic is responsible for the deaths of at least 100,000 people.

Milosevic faced 66 counts for crimes against humanity, genocide, and war crimes committed during the Balkan wars of the 1990s, in which tens of thousands of Bosnian Muslims were killed or forced to flee.
CNN

If you can’t find justification for UN intervention when situations like this happen then you will NEVER find justification for intervention.

Some people are more concerned about the US sticking its nose into the business of others that they will willingly turn their backs while innocent people die. Then you want to turn around and call yourselves “peaceful” and such. What a joke!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I look at it this way.

Has the US done some underhanded stuff in Iran, and the Mid East. Absolutely. Was it right or wrong, depends on all the situations. It's all about national interests and security at THAT TIME. Could it also be part of a "banker, elite, NWO" conspiracy....maybe.....

Would some of those actions cause the Iranian or other people of the Mid East to want to attack us. Sure.

Are there hard line anti western/anti-American/anti-Judeo Christian Islamic extremists that would want to attack America anyways.....yes...because we have been dealing with this since 1786, per this info from Thomas Jefferson. You know, one of the guys that helped write that Constitution most of us are so fond of.....

michiganstate.247sports.com...

the article gives the original source from the Library of Congress too. Here is the basic break down of the above.
In 1786, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson met with Arab diplomats from Tunisia, who were conducting terror raids and piracy against American ships (Barbary Pirates). Writing to John Jay, Thomas Jefferson described what he saw as the main issue and the reason why they were attacking Americans who had done them no harm. The following quote is from Thomas Jefferson....

“We took the liberty to make some inquiries concerning the Grounds of their pretensions to make war upon a Nation who had done them no Injury, and observed that we considered all mankind as our Friends who had done us no wrong, nor had given us any provocation. THE AMBASSADOR ANSWERED US THAT IT WAS FOUNDED ON THE LAWS OF THEIR PROPHET, THAT IT WAS WRITTEN IN THEIR KORAN, THAT ALL NATIONS WHO SHOULD NOT HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED THEIR AUTHORITY WERE SINNERS, THAT IT WAS THEIR RIGHT AND DUTY TO MAKE WAR UPON THEM WHEREVER THEY COULD BE FOUND, AND TO MAKE SLAVES OF ALL THEY COULD TAKE AS PRISONERS, AND THAT EVERY MUSSELMAN (MUSLIM) WHO SHOULD BE SLAIN IN BATTLE WAS SURE TO GO TO PARADISE"

Hhmmmm, history does have a way of rhyming, doesn't it??

btw, for all you libs who will accuse me of "revisionist" history and lying, I did your homework for you. There is this amazing place called "The Library of Congress". In this "library" they have this thing called "original sources". An "original source" is basically real history before Howard Zinn interprets it for you and fills your brain with mush. Apparently, the "library of congress" puts these "original sources" on the internet for anyone to read. If you wish, you can read the actual letter from Thomas Jefferson. An image of the letter from Adams and Jefferson to John Jay can be found in Thomas Jefferson Papers Series 1. General Correspondence. 1651-1827, pp. 430-432. I can't link it directly, but you can go to memory.loc.gov... and then click on "From January 2, 1786" and then go to page 431."

edit on 31-1-2012 by SrWingCommander because: spelling...clarification

edit on 31-1-2012 by SrWingCommander because: quotes for pasted part

edit on 31-1-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Meh.

They've been "moving into Iran in the next couple of weeks" for five friggin' years now, and it ain't happened. It ain't going to, either. This Iran war hysteria is a cash cow for the oil folks. Although we get NO oil from Iran, every time someone screams "Oh noes! They's a-closin' the Straits of Hormuz agin!" gas prices jump a quarter a gallon. They're not about to mess up that cash cow based upon hysteria you folks are drumming up by actually attacking.

Nope. Not gonna happen. Keep holding your head and screaming about it, though - I might eventually buy into oil futures, and it'll be a boon for me when I'm "in the one percent". It sure as hell is for the rest of them.

They DO have kill crews infiltrated into the US just in case - as do a number of other countries. Those don't worry me none, either. If they're close enough to kill me, I can kill 'em right back, so where's the problem?

Y'all spook too damned easily.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem
I saw on the news yesterday that Iran is only a year away from a nuclear weapon. I thought then that it was another scheme to bring the american people on board. Glad to see they are "covering all their bases" . I wonder what will happen next?

Yeah, I heard something similar on the radio Friday night - some cat claiming they are "mere months away" from developing a nuke. Hell, they've been "mere months away from developing a nuke" for five god damned years as well, and haven't blown up the first cruise ship with one. My ass!

In the time they've been "mere months away from developing a nuke" the us could have ringed Iran shoulder to shoulder with ABM emplacements. Let 'em have their toys - just erase them if they ever launch one.

Jesus! Who the hell is driving this boat anyhow?

edit on 2012/1/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Hhmmmm, history does have a way of rhyming, doesn't it??

yes it does.

My God, what have we become?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Ive been saying this to all the Warmongers.
Its fun to go to far away lands, and blow the crap outta them.
If Iran is attacked , there will be a war coming to a neighbourhood near you, maybe thats what it will take though, a few US cities becoming Snow Cones.

Blow Back is a B.....h.

If I see one more person misuse the term "blowback", I think my head will explode. Who's going to clean up that mess?

"Retaliation" is NOT "blow back". An initial assault is NOT "blowback". Blowback is unforeseen and unintended consequences that are an unnatural outgrowth from an intelligence operation. It's not a general assault, it is a specific unforeseeable outgrowth of a specific intelligence operation.

What the hell is unforeseeable about a response to an attack?

edit on 2012/1/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I know the history and I know the U.N. Hearings very well, and any further on this subject and its another thread. Point was Partisan politics. Point was made and found not to be an issue of the thread,,Bye now!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Iran isn't stupid. So, I believe this is BS.

The mostest stupidiest thing Iran could do, would be to conduct a terror attack on U.S. soil. This would all but guarantee a massive military response and the invasion of their entire country. Look what 9/11 did to Afghanistan and Iraq, and both of those country's leaders had absolutely zero responsibly for the attacks and we torn them apart.

Just imagine if the Ayatollah and Ahmadinejad came out in a press conference and said, "Yeah, carried out those terror attacks!" The transmission would be cut off before the speech ended because we sent laser-guided hypersonic cruise missiles to the podium.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

My point was that people aren't trying to drum up support. Iran IS milling around in South America and they very likely will launch terrorist attack. This isn't warmongering...its pointing out a serious threat to national security.

And the Iranians are probably thinking the same. What makes you better than an Iranian?

The answer is nothing.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
. Blowback is unforeseen and unintended consequences that are an unnatural outgrowth from an intelligence operation.

Please step back if your head explodes, its tough to get out of jeans.

On to your quote:
As explained by recent administrations , you described Terrorism.

Dont go all Rambo on me, it wasn't my definition.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by Rocky Black

Please tell me you dont believe a word you wrote.
It is all wrong in so many ways, that I will pray for you.

I'd be interested to know precisely what you think is "wrong" with what he wrote. It's one thing to make a nonspecific blanket accusation, and another altogether to SPECIFY what you think is "wrong" about it.

bet ya can't do that, can you?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

And the Iranians are probably thinking the same. What makes you better than an Iranian?

The answer is nothing.

Same tired argument…”If US can do it why can’t Iran?”

I’ll tell you why, because they are fanatical nut-jobs trying to usher in the return of the mythical 12th imam and bring about the end of times!! If US wants to turn any country into glass it can!! Has it happened? Nope, because the US isn’t governed by people who believe martyrdom his the highest honor and the key to eternal life with 100 virgins!

I would no sooner want a nuclear Iran than I would want to release death row inmates and hand them AK47’s! I would no sooner want missiles pointed at our country from Iranian terrorists in South America than I would a gun pointed at my child’s head!

Dead is dead…once it happens you can’t take it back. All of the support for Iran will go right out the window for most people once they do strike. I’m not scared of the boogyman under my bed or a few bad people walking the streets. I am scared of insane leaders with a massive arsenal setting up shop in my backyard.

Come on, Mr. Lizard!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Who is really to blame are the dumbass soldiers that will fly to a foreign land and pull a trigger because "They ordered me to do it, you cant just say no!"

They believe they are "defending" us, but in reality, they just make the whole world hate us more. I am positive US soldiers are responsible for the formation of more young terrorists than Qaddafi, Khomeini, Saddam, and OBL combined.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

The answer is nothing.

Same tired argument…”If US can do it why can’t Iran?”

I’ll tell you why, because they are fanatical nut-jobs trying to usher in the return of the mythical 12th imam and bring about the end of times!! If US wants to turn any country into glass it can!! Has it happened? Nope, because the US isn’t governed by people who believe martyrdom his the highest honor and the key to eternal life with 100 virgins!

I would no sooner want a nuclear Iran than I would want to release death row inmates and hand them AK47’s! I would no sooner want missiles pointed at our country from Iranian terrorists in South America than I would a gun pointed at my child’s head!

Dead is dead…once it happens you can’t take it back. All of the support for Iran will go right out the window for most people once they do strike. I’m not scared of the boogyman under my bed or a few bad people walking the streets. I am scared of insane leaders with a massive arsenal setting up shop in my backyard.

Come on, Mr. Lizard!!

Can you PROVE this? How do you know AMERICA isnt the evil side? After all, we have been invading foreign lands for conquest and profit. How can you say THEY ARE JUST FANATICAL NUTJOBS! and not say teh same thing about our bloodthirsty leaders and soldiers?

How many countries has Iran invaded in the past decade? We are up to at least 4. So Why are they fanatical and the US isnt?

You hypocrites disgust me, barely enough brains in your head to breathe, you shouldnt be worrying about geopolitical situations..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join