It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bunraku - seen this one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Bunraku was a straight to DVD release in 2010. Normally, that's a sign for me that it probably isn't worth the time.

One of my son's classmates told him it was a good movie, and upon seeing the cast (Ron Perlman, Woody Harrelson, Josh Hartnett) and the fact that it was on Netflix streaming, I figure, what the heck. Give it a go.

Maybe because I had zero expectations for this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. It has the visual elements and "feel" of a stage production, especially if it had been done by the people responsible for Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy movie.

The plot is basically the mysterious stranger seeking vengeance in a post-apocalyptic future against seemingly insurmountable odds. If you can accept Josh Hartnett as a bare knuckle badass, then this is one worth watching. Really well choreographed fight scenes, good story, and some fine acting. I wasn't familiar with Kevin McKidd, who plays the primary bad guy in terms of screen time. (Ron Perlman's the main bad guy, but he's not on much until the end). He reminds me of a cross between Tim Roth and Daniel Craig. Great villain.

If you're into the martial arts genre, or just looking for something different, I think this one is worth your time.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I seen this movie recently and was pleasantly surprised, as well... It did take me sometime to get into it, but once you get over the look of it, it is a fun movie. As for Kevin McKidd, I first seen him in the HBO series ROME. I think he is a great actor... If you haven't seen ROME, I suggest you check it out.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 001ggg100

He's also in the TV series Gray's Anatomy, which I've never watched.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'll have to check it out!

new topics

top topics

join