It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt OR Newt - who would make the better President?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Thanks for taking a look at what is my first thread. I've noticed a couple of similar threads but they don't address the specific issue I wanted to get a better idea of - specifically, who would make the better President out of Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich?

In particular, i'm keen to see people's thoughts on how each man might deal with being POTUS - the pressures, relations and the policies they are likely to adopt.

This is of course all hypothetical at present - I have a good idea of the credentials of others that are / have been in the race, so its these two guys I would like to focus on - as a direct compare and contrast. Think of it as a head-to-head

I look forward to your thoughts and feelings on who would be the better President - Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich? There is no need to be overtly pro IRL for either, but looking constructively and objectively at their credentials and likely impact as POTUS.
edit on 31-1-2012 by ComeFindMe because: Amendment

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ComeFindMe

Congrats on your first thread!
I've been thinking the same. I went as far as to write the campaigns identical letters (emails) and am looking forward to their responses. It'll be a large part to whom I would endorse. (Have to include Paul in there, but I'm still not sold on his foreign policy)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Looking forward to seeing the posts.

S&F

beez

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Thanks beez, appreciated

I'm fascinated by some of the comments coming out, particularly the space-related stuff from Newt - I wonder how that may affect his standing, whether it will reinforce or weaken his run!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe
Thanks beez, appreciated

I'm fascinated by some of the comments coming out, particularly the space-related stuff from Newt - I wonder how that may affect his standing, whether it will reinforce or weaken his run!

I think one of their biggest problems is finding things/issues that they differ on and then expound upon.

Personally, the moon issue has the potential to bite him in the rear, but if he does it right, it might catapult him.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
How do Americans feel when Newt talks about space exploration that way? About 51st states? Are these the policies of a President, or someone getting sensationalist now that Mitt has found his fire?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

How do Americans feel when Newt talks about space exploration that way? About 51st states? Are these the policies of a President, or someone getting sensationalist now that Mitt has found his fire?

I think a bit of both.

It's nice to talk big dreams, and there would be benefits; jobs, industry to come of it. But short term, I've yet to hear a consistant message.

Plus there's issues like Patriot Act, NDAA, SOPA, taxes that would take precidence.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
How about
neither!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
So do you think Mitt might be a less controversial character? Could that be what the US needs, someone to just amble them along, slowly build back up industry?

I get a horrible feeling Newt might be too much of a maverick to hold that much power...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Ron Paul!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

theubermensch! Long time no chat buddy

I wanted to focus on Mitt and Newt - no need to be overtly pro for either, but looking constructively and objectively at their credentials and likely impact as POTUS.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Hey again bud. Sorry
That South Park ep came to mind.

I think Romney would be my choice if a gun was at my head. Newt will say anything.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder already, whether Newt represents the fantasy (exploration, 51st states etc) whereas Mitt might represent more the reality (fiscal responsibility) - is Newt setting himself up as the fun option out of the two?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I can't help but wonder already, whether Newt represents the fantasy (exploration, 51st states etc) whereas Mitt might represent more the reality (fiscal responsibility) - is Newt setting himself up as the fun option out of the two?

Newt is setting himself up as just another lying politician, just like Romney the flip-flopper. How long until you understand it does not matter what they say, since you cannot trust them to speak the truth? Only Ron Paul is honest and trustworthy, and it just so happens he also has the best stance on everything else as well. RON PAUL 2012!!!
edit on 31-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

OK Neovain, thanks for the input - I must stress, i'm not pushing either Newt or Mitt as 'the' solution - but out of the two, who would make the better POTUS? Appreciate your allegiances lie elsewhere, but this is just a hypothetical - I want to know out of these two guys, who comes out on top

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Let's see, MItt is a flip-flopping corporate puppet who changes what he says depending on the people he's talking to. He's fake and a he's a fraud.

Newt is an arrogant, egotistical hypocrite that will say anything to get people to look at him.

Both want continued war, continued spending and to maintain the status quo. Neither talk about the true issues of this country and how we can fix them--they only care about beating Obama.

I'd say neither would make a very good president.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Interesting thoughts - in a one-or-the-other situation, do you think Mitt might edge it as he will maintain the status quo? Or do you think Newt might on the basis he could just somehow, pull a rabbit out of the hat and put in two terms of progress?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I think if it comes down to Mitt or Newt against Obama, we've got four more years of Obama.

What's the real choice, the devil you know or the devil you don't know?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
What's the real choice, the devil you know or the devil you don't know?

That's the thing right there.

We know what 4 more years of Obama will bring.

We stand a chance even if we don't know, that things might get better if the GOP gets in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join