It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACTA can ONLY be inforced inside america with a SOPA style law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i would like the opinion of other members,
a few friends were having a convosation about ACTA and the fact that because it was not signed into law by the congress and because the constitution delegated the authority to formalize international treaties to congress,
obama can sign it as much as he likes but without the DOMESTIC enforcement actions CONTAINED in SOPA other countries CANNOT enforce web address seizures in america.

Regardless of whether the agreement requires changes in U.S. law, the executive branch lacks constitutional authority to enter a binding international agreement covering issues delegated by the Constitution to Congress’ authority, absent congressional approval.

link to source

you see ACTA is not legally binding in america without enforcement powers,
thats were SOPA comes in,

The president has no independent constitutional authority over intellectual property or communications policy, and there is no long historical practice of making sole executive agreements in this area. To the contrary, the Constitution gives primary authority over these matters to Congress, which is charged with making laws that regulate foreign commerce and intellectual property.

same link

for ACTA to work in the continetal US there MUST be domestic laws ENTERED INTO LAW by congress in a very precise way.

the conditions in ACTA are NON inforceable under constitutional laws,

this is where the conspiracy side kicks in

if ACTA has no inforceable powers for forign nations, the us can NOW take down sights in other countries LEGALLY but without SOPA,
NO FORIGN NATION CAN FORCE ACTA laws on americans.

the 1% who pushed this bill in seceret realize that SOPA would ACT in A way that mimicked ACTA

you see it is a bait and switch,
ACTA has no power in the US hence the need for SOPA

you think you are getting prosicuted by ACTA (no entered into law)
when in acual fact you are being prosicuted by SOPA

what is your opinion on this contrived theory ATS?

xploder
edit on 31-1-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Maby they knew sopa would be fought hard and it would not make it, so really they know they can take down any site in another country (witch is where most pirating sites are based) while other country's can not do the same to us.. Another way for them to have more control over global problems

just my thoughts on it

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Suggest you read this thread with video from anon about this very thing.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

also

www.activistpost.com...

Your President it appears has already signed for it in secret!
edit on 31-1-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

your second link attacked my computer
lol

but i thank you for the links

people seem to think that ACTA is enforceable in the us
it is not
not without sopa IMHO

xploder

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
ACTA is an international treaty that has been entered into by some countries that is ratified once the participating countries put the supporting laws through parliament. Basically the corporations and government trade officials have gotten together and have put a proposal of what they want when discussing issues of global trade agreements. There is some flexibility with implementation but an increase in copyright and IP protection is the main focus. This is driven by a recognition that strong IP rights are required for a prosperous economy. As technology and progress is reducing the labour requirements there is some logic in establishing the digital economy as a stable and fair marketplace.

Contrary to these views is the impact and access to free information. The copy function is a core feature of computers as memory values are constantly moved around and read. By taking away the right to copy it inhibits access to information and influence quality of life. There are also massive and real public, social and individual risks with the centralisation of access to information as it is open to manipulate the checks and balances of an accountable government. There are also many other issues associated with ACTA in its current draft getting debated.

As for SOPA, it sounds like America's representation of ACTA. This issue will be coming up for discussion in EU soon and it will learn from some of the US mistakes and victories. If SOPA is kicked out, the battle may be won but the war is not over as this issue will not be going away any time soon. Currently there is some global consensus about where IP laws need to go, but a lot more public consideration is needed for issues like privacy, the social benefit of information, judicial justice, government transparency and rights of communication.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

i am for interlecual propertie rights but not at the expence of the free flow of information,
by forceing people to choose between sharing information to millions or "holding" information for finacial gain,
the free flow of information is repressed for profit.

i am an advocate of "open source science" i do not own science i do not own the ability for my science to benifit the world. but if i want to make a buck the information is shielded from public use.

in my opinion if it was "very easy" and "very cheep" to purchace any information it would forful the finacial and open source criterior.

when an idea that can improve the world is forcably held hostage for finacial gain, the world sufferes and the chance of finacial gain is very small.

but if every person were "free" to use personally and a VERY small free was present at the point of sale for comercial use the information would be more widly viewed and a very small fee over a very large audience,

COULD be more profitable for all

current copyright and IP laws cause a hording of info for money,
as they were designed before the internet as a medium for mass distrabution.

these laws were ritten in secert because they will suppress the ability for "free" information to flow "freely" accross the net and the globe.

this is oposite to the goals of the open and free net
i am against piracy but believe anything that could be used to benfit the peoples of the world,
should be "sold" at a very cheep price and the sheer scale of the net would provide more customers to INCREASE earnings for the IP holder.

its like,
1 product sold once @ 200$
1 product sold 1 million times for 20c = $200 000 dollars

this needs to be addressed or information worth hundreds of thousands of dollars will be held HOSTAGE
for a few hundred dollars

ps good to see you again K

xploder

top topics

join