It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive steam vents in Chicargo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
sincedutch.wordpress.com...
I did a quick search and did not see any threads regarding this news. I know what alot of you will say. Dutchsinse fear mungering again. But I did see it come up as a headline on Haaretz news. Really hope the steam has hardly any signs of being radioactive.

Heres another site in regards to this news. www.ksdk.com...

edit on 18/01/11 by aarys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I'm sure this has been going on for a long time. The internet makes any kind of news sensational. We are still here.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

True that. But we do know that the media downplayed the Fukoshima event. The powers to be just raised the level of radition that is deamed safe for the human body. But you are probally right on this. Just thought people should know.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

True that. But we do know that the media downplayed the Fukoshima event. The powers to be just raised the level of radition that is deamed safe for the human body. But you are probally right on this. Just thought people should know.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I do not like the sound of this.

There seems to be a history of problems (unsurprisingly) at this plant.

n March 2008, federal officials said they were investigating a problem with electrical transformers at the plant after outside power to a unit was interrupted. In an unrelated issue last April, the commission said it was conducting special inspections of backup water pumps at the Byron and Braidwood generating stations after the agency's inspectors raised concerns about whether the pumps would be able to cool the reactors if the normal system wasn't working.

The plants' operator, Exelon Corp., initially said the pumps would work but later concluded they wouldn't Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

Those issues seem very much related to me and I wonder if they have been fixed.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
I do not like the sound of this.

There seems to be a history of problems (unsurprisingly) at this plant.

n March 2008, federal officials said they were investigating a problem with electrical transformers at the plant after outside power to a unit was interrupted. In an unrelated issue last April, the commission said it was conducting special inspections of backup water pumps at the Byron and Braidwood generating stations after the agency's inspectors raised concerns about whether the pumps would be able to cool the reactors if the normal system wasn't working.

The plants' operator, Exelon Corp., initially said the pumps would work but later concluded they wouldn't Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

Those issues seem very much related to me and I wonder if they have been fixed.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. Back in '08 nobody cared. No major event happened. Prolly isn't good for anyone but its not the end of the world.

If you worry about everything you're gonna die from stress, now that's a fact.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

This seems to be a tad more serious as they are actually having to vent steam to release the buildup in pressure because of a complete loss of power at the plant.

After the shut down Monday morning at Exelon Nuclear's Byron Generating Station, operators began releasing steam to cool the reactor from the part of the plant where turbines are producing electricity, not from within the nuclear reactor itself, officials said. The steam contains low levels of tritium, a radioactive form of hydrogen, but federal and plant officials insisted the levels were safe for workers and the public.

Exelon Nuclear officials believe a failed piece of equipment at a switchyard at the plant about 95 miles northwest of Chicago caused the shutdown, but they were still investigating an exact cause. The switchyard is similar to a large substation that delivers power to the plant from the electrical grid and from the plant to the electrical grid. The commission declared the incident an "unusual event," the lowest of four levels of emergency. Commission officials also said the release of tritium was expected.

abcnews.go.com...

The fact that the commission have placed the event on the emergency level at all can attest to the potential seriousness of the incident.

I and anyone else on this board can choose to worry or not worry about whatever I deem fit. I believe the loss of power at a nuclear plant is worthy of some degree of worry.

new topics

top topics

join