It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could facial recognition technology destroy 'redundant and bankrupt' passwords?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Could facial recognition technology destroy 'redundant and bankrupt' passwords?

www.smh.com.au

FOR
•Potentially quicker access to online services like Facebook and Google
•Never need to remember a complex password again
•Can be used in addition to a password for more security

AGAINST

•False positives
•Potential for abuse
•Can't change face if "hacked"

When Google showed off its latest operating system for smartphones in October last year, "Ice Cream Sandwich", many were excited to see a feature that allowed the ability to unlock a phone using just a user's face.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Well, this was only a matter of time until this was portrayed as a good thing. Everyone is suggesting that it is/will be a very good security measure for the future to log into things such as Facebook. I don't know about you, but i don't fancy giving Facebook, Google, banks or any other big company my facial features.

The dawn of facial recognition. Hooray...

www.smh.com.au

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I totally agree. Doesn't FR software go off the facial points of the structure as opposed to using the whole picture? I'm not sure the exact term used but still not a good sign at all.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

I don't know about you, but i don't fancy giving Facebook, Google, banks or any other big company my facial features.

Do you have a driver's license? "They" already have your photo.

yep, hopefully it doesn't last long.
They have some $%^#ed up plans.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

no star .. no flag... use the same tactics as the trolls... let it die without any context...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
facial recognition is the worst possible login system ever, for public use that is.

Think about it, your picture (for many) is on the web, or you have a webcam handy. A virus could just take that picture or take a pic of you from your webcam, or steal the data stream from whatever device is used to scan the face. That could give the virus your pic, and well suddenly the virus writer has access to all your accounts.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

I find it difficult to understand you. I don't care for Flags or Stars.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Can FR be used to replace pwords? Yes.

Can it be as or more effective than pwords? Depends on the user and the passwords (length especially)

Should it be used instead of pwords? Not on any system I will ever be required to login.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't know why it's such a bad idea. I'd like to turn on my system, bank and even have access to my locked house by FR...it would be cool. Maybe because then "they" could simulate our features to gain access to everything? Or just chop off our heads...let me rethink my stance on this...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Step one: Take photo of whos bank password you want
Step two: Show smart phone picture of your victim to facial recognition software
Step three: Remove money
Step four: Hookers and las vegas.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
I don't know why it's such a bad idea.

If you understood biometric technology, you would.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There is a very good reason that a passwords should be something you know, and not something you are.

Imagine your facial security being compromised ... it will happen, and it will be quite difficult to get a new face

That is why biometric security is not good, image what gangsters would do if your thumb was the password ...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Well, this was only a matter of time until this was portrayed as a good thing. Everyone is suggesting that it is/will be a very good security measure for the future to log into things such as Facebook. I don't know about you, but i don't fancy giving Facebook, Google, banks or any other big company my facial features.

www.smh.com.au

We will all need a fat chick suit like Arnie had in total recall.

new topics

top topics

join