It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water bills in England and Wales to rise 5.7% in April

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Okay... The % increase in this story wasn't something to get my attention, but I was curious while scanning wire feeds and clicked to read more. What came next was enough to choke over. Tell me this isn't accurate England??

Average water and sewerage bills in England and Wales will rise by 5.7% from April to about £376 per household.

To save my fellow Americans the trouble, that comes to $591.71 in American Dollars at this mornings exchange rate. That is literally more than my mortgage!
The article goes on to say:

"Inflation feeds through into water bills, and this is driving these rises," Regina Finn, Ofwat's chief executive, said in a statement on Tuesday.

"We understand that any bill rise is unwelcome, particularly in tough economic times. We will make sure customers get value for money," she said.
Source: BBC

If I'm not mistaken, the financial news is talking an awful lot about how inflation hasn't even begun in serious ways across the Western economies, including England. So, what is to happen with all this when the numbers really start to count? This is downright scary when we're talking nearly $600 a month for a water bill.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Two points - 1. I believe the water and sewage bill quoted is for a year - not a month. 2. The UK privatized their water and sewage in the 90s. Of course a private company is going to milk the system for maximum profit and I will lay any money they don't put much back into the system in the form of maintanance.

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Welcome to Rip-Off Britain they keep pushing up prices but our jobs won't cover it

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
We also have to pay over £1,300 a year for council tax and that's going up too

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well you should pay for water.

It's not like it falls from the sky or something.

On a side note, money really does come from tree's. Printer paper has to come from somewhere people!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
As people said those are per year. I pay mine twice a year, it stands at around £470 per year currently where I am. It goes off which area and such you are in so it can be higher or lower.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Pfft. That's nothing. Our energy company - which you might know gets a lot of power from nuclear in this country - habitually rises its rates to the tune of even 10% and does so on a whim! Our petrol prices rise on a rumor. Every price of whatever you can imagine rises on the mere whisper of a possibility. I look at prices in the shops and wonder if anyone remembers an old thing called Value for Money. I don't think so! It's an archaic concept that is long forgotten, apparently.

The thing that still confuses me through all of this economic turmoil is that companies are still pandering to shareholders' demands for absurd profits. It's killing us all but they need billions in profit to satisfy these greedy gits - and they go along with it quite happily!! You all know how poor David Carradine died, right? Well that's what these companies are doing to themselves. Weird. Just weird.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Pfft. That's nothing. Our energy company - which you might know gets a lot of power from nuclear in this country - habitually rises its rates to the tune of even 10% and does so on a whim! Our petrol prices rise on a rumor. Every price of whatever you can imagine rises on the mere whisper of a possibility. I look at prices in the shops and wonder if anyone remembers an old thing called Value for Money. I don't think so! It's an archaic concept that is long forgotten, apparently.

The thing that still confuses me through all of this economic turmoil is that companies are still pandering to shareholders' demands for absurd profits. It's killing us all but they need billions in profit to satisfy these greedy gits - and they go along with it quite happily!! You all know how poor David Carradine died, right? Well that's what these companies are doing to themselves. Weird. Just weird.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

That price is for a year, it is very expensive,some people opt out and have water meters installed, where you pay for what you use. This has however sent the cost for some households through the roof and once you have a meter installed , i believe after a year theywill not remove it.

If you take the governments logic over here for flouridating the water and listen to some of the propoganda about it in how it strengthens teeth etc, then perhaps they are also hoping to reduce pipe repalcement time, the flouride may perhaps strngthen the old lead pipes that are still in use in lots of areas. (sarcasm off)

Seriously, water should not be this expensive, with all the crap they put in it now they should be paying us to drink it.

Anyone in the uk that has 2 hours and about 75 pounds spare, take a look at using a basic reverse osmosis filtration system, costs around 20 pounds a year in filters and the water is alot safer and tastes way better.

Anyone wants further details pm me and i will give you a link to where i got mine which is the cheapest placei have found them.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
You know that if you don't pay the water company can't actually do anything about it. If they cut you off they are legally obliged to provide you with another source of clean water, either bottled or a pump. Obviously that would incur a great deal of expense and effort on their part, so they don't do it. The water company can send letters and knock on your door but nothing else actually happens.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by brommas

Seriously, water should not be this expensive, with all the crap they put in it now they should be paying us to drink it.

Anyone in the uk that has 2 hours and about 75 pounds spare, take a look at using a basic reverse osmosis filtration system, costs around 20 pounds a year in filters and the water is alot safer and tastes way better.

Anyone wants further details pm me and i will give you a link to where i got mine which is the cheapest placei have found them.

Though these days if you do this they are trying to get you to get it tested and make you pay for the water too. We get this alot as I work in the a lab testing this.... It's a great shame that soon you will have to pay for the rain.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Yes my Water Bill just went from £8 PM to £26 PM... My Electric bill went from £24 PM to £36 PM and cos my gas is on a meter its hard to say but it seems to be munching away at my credit!

They say that the increase is partly to do with restoring beaches...

So whats the Gas and Electricity Company's excuse.. To protect the methane bubbles and harness the lightening storms?

It's hard enough living on benefits now i have to die on them too!

The system is all about the big squeeze! Kill the poor slowly... At least until the poor become frustrated and aware and start squeezing back!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Brommas i can not seem to PM you. Where did you get yours from please.

Thankyou for your time
Ryan

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Water is my biggest bill by far, even bigger than my seperate gas and electricity bills. Watch the profits for these greedy corporations soar, just like every other utility company after they increase their prices.

Pretty disgusting that they charge as much as they do for water that is pumped with and tastes of chemicals. I have to buy bottled water for drinking because tap water dehydrates me. I am fortunate I live in one of the cheaper water regions though.

Dont expect the government to care though, these corporations are doing what they want - making the poor poorer.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
You know that if you don't pay the water company can't actually do anything about it. If they cut you off they are legally obliged to provide you with another source of clean water, either bottled or a pump. Obviously that would incur a great deal of expense and effort on their part, so they don't do it. The water company can send letters and knock on your door but nothing else actually happens.

^^^^^^^^ TADAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Britain needs to overthrow the crown and learn from our Founding Fathers.British serfs should see the facts and stop listening to the tabloids.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Perhaps this is where being an American and looking at other nation's costs and expenses gets a bit confusing, but several have said this is a yearly charge, not monthly? Now if that is the case, it seems to work out closer to $50 USD per month? If that is the actual cost, I totally misunderstood by virtue of billing periods the article forgot to mention.

The equivalent of $600 a YEAR is a world different than $600 a month. I'll trade water bills any day and twice on Sunday if the annual rate comes out that way. Relatives in California are paying $250-$400 for water on a quarterly basis and I'm paying a fair bit more than $50 a month here in the Midwest for the water segment of my utility bill.

My bad and apologies for starting a thread without having realized something as important as billing period. Err.. oops?

new topics

top topics

join