It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They are at it again. New drill for New Madrid Fault Zone scheduled for early February 2012.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This was never an issue until the last few years. The New Madrid Fault Zone has had virtually no press until the last couple of years. Now, all of a sudden, it seems extremely important that everyone be prepared in the event that a catastrophic earthquake along this fault line. There seems to be a lot more here, than meets the eye. They are asking for business, private individuals and others, to join in the drill. This is the same info they were asking for last year, when the drill happened in May(I believe) 2011. Here is a link to the info I stumbled upon. Perhaps others can see more into this than I have been able to do. Thanks for any insight and info that you may reveal or relate. www.emissourian.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well, they seem to be approving fracking all around it and a recent map I saw here on ATS it showed the shaded area for approved areas open for consideration covering right up to Metropolis...which is basically in the New Madrid Seismic Zone. As someone who lives uncomfortably inside the expected area of effect for the next series of quakes off this fault I must say this is awfully nice of them.

Considering they are approving the mechanical process generating small Earthquakes all over Arkansas and likely, IMO, to trigger the next BIG ones.....it's the least they can do for preparing us and getting ready to fix the CALAMITY they are in the process of causing.

Uncle Sammy at work.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Minor corrections

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
What's wrong with being prepared?

Better safe than sorry.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by tallblondealien
This was never an issue until the last few years. The New Madrid Fault Zone has had virtually no press until the last couple of years. Now, all of a sudden, it seems extremely important that everyone be prepared in the event that a catastrophic earthquake along this fault line. There seems to be a lot more here, than meets the eye. They are asking for business, private individuals and others, to join in the drill. This is the same info they were asking for last year, when the drill happened in May(I believe) 2011. Here is a link to the info I stumbled upon. Perhaps others can see more into this than I have been able to do. Thanks for any insight and info that you may reveal or relate. www.emissourian.com...

Its called The Great Shake Out - they have them for all areas of the US.
www.shakeout.org...

Part of the reason it seems "all of a sudden" is because there hasn't been a big public presence. However, with the 200 year anniversary of the last Big One (a 7.7 on Feb 7, 1812), science and emergency prep folks are jumping on the PR band wagon, hoping to get people to listen. (Other Shake Outs were in the news a lot last year - pretty hard to miss if you watch/read any national news or search ATS)
New Madrid 1811-1812 Earthquake

What is difficult with the New Madrid, as the scientists will tell you, is that people don't believe they live in an active earthquake zone, so VERY little has been done to prepare. Not just a person getting emergency water and flashlights ready, but building codes, urban design, bridges, etc. etc. NOT prepared for earthquakes.

By piggybacking on major anniversaries, there is a hope that people will listen and prepare. For those of us on the New Madrid, there isn't anything you can do about all those buildings and bridges that may not hold up in a bigger earthquake, but we can all have food, water, an evacuation plan if our house crumbles, etc.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
PS - Why is this in Dreams & Predictions?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tallblondealien

Check out RSOE.... 2.4 near Chicago...hisz.rsoe.hu...

Just sayin....

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Scary stuff.Dealing with a potentially dangerous situation ,we worry about severe weather here as well.Then here in Beebe we got birds that die from fireworks as well.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I tend to think that the government is just as aware as most of us are that history repeats itself. We all know that a devastating earthquake has stricken the New Madrid faultline before, so it just stands to reason that eventually this will happen again.

Now maybe the government is just taking a "better safe than sorry" stance, or maybe they know something the rest of us don't. There's not a doubt in my mind that the government keeps track of all the prophecy and prediction talk on the internet just like they follow trends of everything else. It really doesn't matter. At least they are trying to do something to prepare the people in the area for a "worst case scenario"- and there is nothing wrong with being prepared whether a big quake strikes this year or a hundred years from now.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Curious exactly what the participants are being asked to do... or in this case, NOT do...

Those taking part are asked to practice “Drop, Cover and Hold On” — drop to the ground, take cover under a table or desk and hold on to it. People in an earthquake should not get in doorways or run outside.
www.emissourian.com...

So, everyone should STAY INSIDE...

That little conspiracy theorist that comes here using my computer is whispering... what's going to happen outside that TPTB don't want you to see?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sorry Op but its time to spread the truth considering I am doing a lot of work with the NLE.

Last may the training was scrubbed because of floods.So we are trying to conduct the drill.

By the way...Each state is treating this training differently because the lack of support from the federal gov.

In my field of Emergency Management this has become such a small insignificant exersice

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Curious exactly what the participants are being asked to do... or in this case, NOT do...

Those taking part are asked to practice “Drop, Cover and Hold On” — drop to the ground, take cover under a table or desk and hold on to it. People in an earthquake should not get in doorways or run outside.
www.emissourian.com...

So, everyone should STAY INSIDE...

That little conspiracy theorist that comes here using my computer is whispering... what's going to happen outside that TPTB don't want you to see?

Well, if you saw what happened on the east coast last August when we had the little 5.whatever out of Virginia, you would have seen brick chimneys crumbling, stuff falling off the Washington Cathedral, etc.

One of the most dangerous things about earthquakes is falling debris - brick, stone, concrete, shattered window glass, etc. etc.

Staying inside is the safest place to be, under something sturdy. It is the easiest, safest single message for earthquake prep, just like tornadoes say get in the basement or interior room, floods say get up high, hurricanes say board up and stay inside, etc.

top topics

join