It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans want $260 billion for infrastructure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - House Republicans will propose legislation on Tuesday calling for $260 billion in spending on transportation infrastructure for up to five years, an election-year proposal touted as a job creator in a tough economy.

Transportation Committee Chairman John Mica was due to formally introduce the measure and unveil details for funding road, bridge, and rail improvements at a news conference, his office said.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AvXltKrjlgcaBahO5hndK5qs0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'NsYTM0MXI2BG1pdA NUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDMWMwNDA4ZDYtZTg4YS0zNDlmLWFmMzAtNDdlZTk2ZGQwOGRkBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzA5YzA0MGUwLTRiYWYtMTFlMS1hYjliLTc0MmUwYzQwNzk3 Ng--;_ylg=X3o'___'FvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

When i first read this headline...i thought to myself...NO WAY. An honest proposal to that would immediately go to the economy and rebuild infrastructure....seems to good to be true...right?

RIGHT

Additional elements could be tacked on by other committees in coming days, including a plan to authorize the Canada-to-Texas Keystone XL oil pipeline despite the refusal of President Barack Obama to advance the project.

Repubs really want that damn pipeline don't they? Will it find it's way in every damned bill they propose? It's nothing but a profit maker for the oil companies and will do nothing for this country at all at the pump.

Also...what happened to the NO-DEFICIT spending thing they have been doing the last 4 years? lol Oh i get it, as long as spend in the name of oil companies...ya know...the same ones John Boehner invested in that would directly profit from it being built....THEN IT'S OK.
edit on 30-1-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Because giving it (and the jobs and less dependence on Middle Eastern oil) to China is in the best interests of the American people?
Hmmm

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Because giving it (and the jobs and less dependence on Middle Eastern oil) to China is in the best interests of the American people? Hmmm

And what makes you think this oil isn't going to go to China if the pipeline goes to the gulf? Do you know what our top export is right now?

OIL.

And btw...the few jobs it creates will be shortlived.....and not only that...will be a 1000 mile long terrorist target.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If they're that cotton-picking desperate for their little pipeline, then why not? 260 billion is a lot of pie that we could use right now. That would be a good start to a public-works project like we had during the Depression.

Wait, I mean, the FIRST Depression.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

If they're that cotton-picking desperate for their little pipeline, then why not? 260 billion is a lot of pie that we could use right now. That would be a good start to a public-works project like we had during the Depression. Wait, I mean, the FIRST Depression.

Yeah....and then let the states that it runs through tax the hell out of it so they can't profit from it at all. let it go to immediate price relief at the pump.

But of course...that won't happen...because the oil companies don't really give a damn what we are paying at the pump.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Because giving it (and the jobs and less dependence on Middle Eastern oil) to China is in the best interests of the American people? Hmmm

And what makes you think this oil isn't going to go to China if the pipeline goes to the gulf? Do you know what our top export is right now?

OIL.

And btw...the few jobs it creates will be shortlived.....and not only that...will be a 1000 mile long terrorist target.

That would be jim dandy. We need to become an exporting nation again. Definitely a move in the right direction in my opinion. Terrorist target? Meh. Doubt it.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I know man, you would think the GOP members are all invested in the companies
contracting this proposal... At the very least I hope they get a hooker, gift bag and
a coupon to TGI Fridays.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Boehner’s 2010 financial disclosure form reveals his investment of $15,001 to $50,000 in Canadian Natural Resources Ltd, and they are in the business of tar sands oil and are just one of seven companies Boehner bought stocks in. His 2009 disclosure shows no stocks in Canadian Natural Resources Ltd leading any semi-intelligent American to believe Boehner bought stock in Canada’s tar sands just in time to reap financial benefits if and when the pipeline was completed and carrying Canadian oil to Texas for refinement and sale on the foreign market. Boehner’s push, as Speaker of the House, to build the pipeline is beyond simple conflict of interest; he is performing official acts for favors (campaign contributions) and money in the form of dividends from his oil sands stocks. Boehner’s gifts in exchange for performing official acts for the oil industry are $144,150 in the form of campaign contributions in 2010 alone. Boehner must resign or face an ethics investigation that may result in his expulsion from the House.

www.politicususa.com...

He's a crook. Don't know if t his has been posted anywhere on ATS...this wasn't the exact article i was looking for...but it sums it up.

He has invested in 4 companies that will personally profit from the pipeline being built.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
because the oil companies don't really give a damn what we are paying at the pump.

Amen, I mean this is exactly the thing that everyone ignores, why would Oil Companies
want to destroy their cash cow, really??? If this proposal would really reduce prices,
the Oil Industry would FIGHT IT, straight up.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Amen, I mean this is exactly the thing that everyone ignores, why would Oil Companies want to destroy their cash cow, really??? If this proposal would really reduce prices, the Oil Industry would FIGHT IT, straight up.

As far as I know, they haven't stated that it would reduce prices....because they know people would see through that as it won't happen...instead the argument they have been using is "it will create 20,000 jobs that we desperately need!!!!" and "this is a great step in ending our dependence of foreign oil!!"....both of which are flat out lies.

Oil gets sold on the open market...and even if it did bring a slight lowering at the pump...any other nation...such as saudi arabia could simply lower production and boost the price back up.

I'm just really really tired of seeing this pipeline crap all the time when it's nothing but a con by the oil companies and the politicians that are invested in it.

edit on 30-1-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Some parts of the Keystone are complete already.

Here's a good map.

Keystone Pipeline Map

top topics

join