It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Folks in Chicago were treated to some Nuclear radioactive fallout today , 1/30/2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Kudo's and credit were credit is due to Dutchsinse

www.youtube.com...

Uploaded by dutchsinse on Jan 30, 2012

First, i would like to say much love to the people of Chicago -- this is the last thing anyone needs to hear right about now -- but since the MSM decided to BURY this story -- Im sure it will come as a shock to a lot of people up in the great 'windy city'.

If you were outside today in Downtown Chicago -- Any time after about 1030am CST -- 1/30/2012 -- chances are , you may have been exposed to NUCLEAR RADIOACTIVE FALLOUT from the steam that was vented by the Byron Illinois / Exelon Nuclear power plant.

Here is the full story:

sincedutch.wordpress.com...

Here is the news bulletin in the video:

www.ksdk.com...

Also I have assembled dozens of radiation monitoring links (click the above sincedutch.com link )...

I'd like to remind everyone that there are NO "good" levels of radioactive particulates... before anyone tells me it was "safe levels".. I'd like them to go stand near those "safe levels" for a while and get back to me on their assessment.

If you live in Chicago -- you DESERVE TO KNOW THE TRUTH !

I have also included information on Tritium at the above link.
edit on Mon Jan 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by infojunkie2

Dear infojunkie2,

Great catch, S&F.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
WOW......it amazes me how things get swept under the rug....I shouldn't even be surprised anymore. ty op s&f for you.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
you know this venting of steam happens ALL THE TIME across the U.S. with ALL NUCLEAR PLANTS.... right???

If this worries you, please move away now....

The rest of us will go about our lives, as normal, as we have since before we had to read this thread

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
^ Lol why do some people dare to post on behalf of all ATSers with the "we" and "us",

that should be grounds for banning, if anything....or at least a confirmation of schizophrenia

S & F OP, and Dutchinse i agree there's little can do about it, most of the time but AMERICA is full of itself if so scared to death that Iran half a world away might go "Nuclear" yet all over the USA is a ticking timebomb of eventual meltdown disaster nationwide....

edit on 30-1-2012 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

No kidding... you do realize that it is obvious that you have not paid attention?
because this steam was being vented from a reactor that had shut down , therefore is was more mere water vapor.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is less than 40 miles from where I live and not a word about it here. Not sure what the real story here is but nothing suprises me anymore.

I will say my entire family got sick over the weekend with sore throats, headache and throwing up mucus.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

I hope you and your family feel better soon. There is sickness like that going around here in MD right now, same symptoms, and it did start making the rounds well before last week, so I'm hoping it's just a bug for you guys and not radioactivity.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Removed double post
edit on 31-1-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Hm. Headline is on Drudgreport.

And this is just from the first 12 pages on Google Search. Hardly a news blackout or not in mainstream. Really.

Really.

Here is another link:

Chicago Tribune

www.chicagotribune.com...

Time

www.time.com...

AP

www.google.com...

Fox Chicago

www.myfoxchicago.com...

ABC News

abcnews.go.com...

AP In Syracuse News

www.syracuse.com...

NBC

www.nbc15.com...

CBC Atlanta

www.cbsatlanta.com...

CBS News .com

www.cbsnews.com...

NPR

www.npr.org...

HuffPo

www.huffingtonpost.com...

NewsDay

www.newsday.com...

Denver Post

www.denverpost.com...

WSB Radio

www.wsbradio.com...

MSN

money.msn.com...

AOL News

www.aolnews.com...

ETA: I flagged you after I read the story on Drudgereport and then came and read your post, for alerting the public, as it were. Then I read the Dutch cr@p and took the flag back. If this is buried, I am the Queen of England.

Hello molehill. Meet Mountain.
edit on 31-1-2012 by Libertygal because: to add a comment.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
US GOVERNMENT: Everything is fine, please continue to go to work and keep paying your taxes, radiation is all around us. The people are getting treated as a preventitive measure, the levels they were exposed to are "acceptable" Please keep watching the state run media and we will keep you up to date with the latest news about the kardashians, that way you wont have to worry about what is really going on.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this to our attention infojunkie2.
It is on the RSOE site as well now.

RSOE

Regardless of who is NOW carrying the story, statements like this do little for keeping the publics confidence:

"There is always concern. But, it never crossed my mind that there was any danger to the people of Ogle County."

and from Exelon

The plants' operator, Exelon Corp., initially said the pumps would work but later concluded they wouldn't.

It kind of begs the question: Have we placed too much confidence in this 'safe' industry?

S+F

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
hmm, never heard anything about it. I live 10 minutes from downtown

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Next time, maybe Dutch should check the wind direction before posting his nonsense? Since the wind was from the SSW mainly(most the south), wouldn't Southern Wisconsin be where most of the "radiation" was blown to and not downtown Chicago?

Maybe someone send Dutch a map? Or tell him to check wind direction before spending(wasting) his time making incorrect vid's?

edit on 31-1-2012 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
If we only knew what was swept under the rug.

Good find OP.

Love to see it.

How long befroe it is taken off youtube.

Tick tock.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12

Next time, maybe Dutch should check the wind direction before posting his nonsense? Since the wind was from the SSW mainly(most the south), wouldn't Southern Wisconsin be where most of the "radiation" was blown to and not downtown Chicago?

Maybe someone send Dutch a map? Or tell him to check wind direction before spending(wasting) his time making incorrect vid's?

edit on 31-1-2012 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

I've heard there were "Dutch haters" here, but you're the first one I have encountered. So, according to you, the people of Wisconsin have a problem and not the people of Chicago, Illinois. And?

One thing to always remember: Don't disregard the story just because you dislike the person who told it. Same goes for Alex Jones haters. It would behoove you to listen carefully before throwing out accusations based on your personal dislike of the messenger.

OP, thank you for posting this. Nuclear power isn't even close to being as "safe" as the mainstream PTB want you to think it is. And that's blatantly obvious, no matter where the wind blows.
edit on 31-1-2012 by imalitehaus because: additional info

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by jstanthrno1

I hope you and your family feel better soon. There is sickness like that going around here in MD right now, same symptoms, and it did start making the rounds well before last week, so I'm hoping it's just a bug for you guys and not radioactivity.

Same thing in central Mass in regards to the illness

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

UNUSUAL EVENT DUE TO LOSS OF OFFSITE POWER GREATER THAN 15 MINUTES

At 1101 EST, Byron Unit-2 experienced a reactor trip due to RCP undervoltage. All rods fully inserted, MSIV's were manually closed and decay heat is being removed by Auxiliary Feedwater pumps running and steam leaving via atmospheric relief valves. The unit is currently in a natural circulation cooldown with the diesels supplying station emergency loads. Licensee will be cooling the plant down to Mode 5.

At 1118 EST, Byron declared an Unusual Event due to a loss of offsite power on Unit 2 from a faulted Station Auxiliary Transformer (SAT). The faulted SAT caused both 6.9 kV and 4.1 kV bus voltage to drop. Smoke was observed coming from the SAT with no visible flames being apparent. This caused bus loads to trip without a complete loss of ESF busses 241 and 242. These buses were manually disconnected from the SAT, which transferred the load to the emergency diesel generators 2A and 2B. Both diesel generators started and loaded without incident. Offsite assistance was requested from the local fire department as a precaution.

Unit 1 is not being affected by this event and remains at 100% power.

The licensee has notified the NRC Resident Inspector.

www.nrc.gov...

A primary coolant loop is pressurized water which under normal operation cannot boil. It travels through the reactor, collecting heat, and then to a steam generator which then transfers heat to the secondary loop. The water then starts the cycle over again. Reactor Coolant Pumps (RCPs) are required to transfer heat to the secondary loop during normal operation, but in accidents, natural circulation is enough to transfer heat to the secondary loop.

The secondary loop has to have feed-water from pumps during operation. If there is still no feed-water when the reactor has been recently shutdown (still hot and producing a lot of decay heat), the steam generators will dry-out after about 15 minutes and then the primary loop will increase in pressure until it needs to be vented in the containment. Emergency Core Cooling Systems (of which there are typically two) would then be required to kick in to protect the reactor and the public. In normal operation, after water in the secondary loop boils in the steam generator it goes to the turbine, then the main condenser, then back to the reactor. Steam turbines do not like liquid water (which will damage them), plus in an accident the main condenser may not be available, so instead an auxiliary system is used to supply feed-water to the steam generators.

The Auxiliary system pumps water from storage tanks (enough to last a day) to the steam generators, the resulting steam is then vented into the atmosphere. It would be possible to develop a system where the steam is contained, cooled and recirculated, but this would be more complex and add failure points which could increase risk.

Pressurized Water Reactors have two, three, or four steam generators. Byron has four loops.

In this case, there was an electrical fault that caused the voltage to the reactor coolant pumps to sag resulting in the reactor being automatically shut down and the auxiliary feed-water system being used. The cause was a transformer failing so diesel generators were started. For a more detailed explanation please read this blog post: A Primer on How A Pressurized Water Reactor Shuts Down.

Since the primary loop is radioactive, some of the secondary loop could be very slightly radioactive either from small leaks in the steam generators or because hydrogen (and thus tritium) tends to seep through metals since hydrogen atoms are so small. In any case it would only be very very very slightly radioactive. It happens often, as far as I know, whenever a reactor is not at cold shutdown yet not producing electricity (no steam through turbine).

Here is a video of something similar:

and another:

www.ksdk.com...

I would not have a problem with standing near it. The media did not cover it up, I don't know why all these accusations are allowed to fly since they're silly and stupid, but the fact is this sort of thing shouldn't be news because it isn't. The worst part about this is a nuclear reactor is at idle instead of doing what it is designed to do: generate electricity and instead replacement power will have to be bought. Most likely from old fossil fuel plants dumping crap into the atmosphere. "There is no safe level of radiation". To which I respond to: There is no safe level of particulate matter from fossil fuel combustion.

I'd like to remind everyone that there are NO "good" levels of radioactive particulates

Actually the risk of cancer increase from radiation is most accepted to be directly proportional and linear to the radiation dose. If the radiation dose is extremely small then the risk increase is also extremely small.

I will say my entire family got sick over the weekend with sore throats, headache and throwing up mucus.

Extraordinarily small doses of radiation do not manifest themselves with those symptoms. If your family is sick they probably got a cold or other infection or virus.

Does your family get sick whenever a reactor blows off secondary steam?
edit on 31/1/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Well that explains the new growth I am currently experiencing. As well as the odd warm weather I am experiencing today! :tongue firmly in cheek:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by imalitehaus

Not a "Dutch hater" , but a former fan/friend.

My problem with Dutch lies with him spewing out obviously false info in many cases and when called out on it with a rational explanation for his latest "hot info", he refuses to take the correct info into account and/or retract the false info he distributes. This is nuclear fallout issue is case-in-point. The video is titles "Downtown Chicago" when he didn't bother to check to see where the wind was even blowing, which on that day, was blowing from a mostly southernly direction. Hence the city of Chitown was not affected. The warning should have ben put out to SE Wisconsin instead.

I was a FB friend of his and a YT subscriber, until he incorrectly started putting out a bunch of vid's on volcanic eruption/plumes in Southern California. I told him I had talked to friends in that area, who'd even video taped the actual location he said the events were happening, sent him the vid's, along with their correspondence with me, but to no avail. I also contacted the USDS in that state, who issued a "press release" to respond to his claims along with what was really happening. After all that, he claimed the USGS responded to his vid's because they were a part of some conspiracy. I had even told Dutch that I would be contacting the USGS for their take on what he was saying. So he makes a vid claiming that USGS was lying and they had responded because of his vid's, ignoring that fact that I had initiated the USGS contact on his behalf. This was the 2nd incident where he had been totally debunked and so I unsubscribed/defriended him.

Do I hate Dutch? No, just wish he would research and be more thorough in his rush to be the first to get his "info" out there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join