It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pale Blue Dot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Carl Sagan perphaps on of the best astrophysicist who ever lived

this is qouted from him:

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

that is us, that is the earth

think about it for a minute, think about how small and insegnificant the earth actually is. we are one planet in what is speculated to be billions of planets, orbiting around a star in a galaxy with billions of stars in a galaxy in which the universe is full of billions

think about how small we are, with our best telescopes we can see objects 13.7 billion light years distant, we find things every day that not only confuse us but amaze us, black holes, quasars, neutron stars, dark matter, fermi bubbles just to name a few. think of all the things we have not found yet or never will find out about where we live. think about how many civilizations could possibly live in the universe or even our galaxy alone. stars go supernova all the time have you ever wondered to yourself could that star have had planets around us, if so could those planets have had life on them at one point. you never know thats the thing. people like to think that something terrible, or great will happen at the end of this year we are currently in i for one don't think anything will happen. but even if something does who will ever know if our species is wiped out do you think that anyone will ever know.

we are very small in a universe that is infact HUGE, we are in fact a pale blue dot flying through a huge universe. stopped and think about it for a minute. i didnt make this thread to make anyone feel bad, instead feel great about life,l about your life and the lives of your friends and family. think about everything you have seen and will see in your lifetime. then think about all the things you wont see and don't let it depress you because it doesn't depress me thinking and amazing myself about the things i will never see.

now in no way will any of the stuff on this timeline be proved to happen when it does or if it ever will i just think it is interesting
www.futuretimeline.net...

journeythroughtheuniverse.org...

science.discovery.com...

thank you for your time

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

All I know is, Carl Sagan can always put life into perspective for me.

He is missed.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
yep, Carl was fun to learn from on TV back when.
the OP....see it from a spiritual / supernatural angle, our planet is screaming creation/ yes a Creator...now what He says is our minds cannot dream of what He has in store for us all.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

I used to run home from school when i was a kid in the 70's to here what was new from Carl.Is he floating around with Gene and Walt up there somewhere?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The world is huge and small at the same time. It's all a matter of perspective. Size shouldn't be the determination of importance..or every hamster I had would have been meaningless.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Yeah. And just think. All of the thinking and words he put out to the public and he never admitted that he was once an extremely avid believer in UFOs.

When he joined the Condon group to help write the whitewash entitled the "Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects," he had reversed his public position and denied the phenomea from that day on in current scientific terms.

You can argue both ways, about Sagan, as far as I'm concerned, the publiicity deck has been stacked, and he will be lionized for leading millions of average citizens toward accepting the promise and possibilities of what is out there.... That is well that it was done and he was great at the show, but a few understood that he knew where he was pointing, if not saying exactly what he knew.

new topics

top topics

join