It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I do declare there is one faith destined to unite Athiest and Theists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

It looks like I'm going to be the first contributor to quote Tertullian;
"It is certain because it is impossible"- sometimes misquoted as "I believe because it is absurd".

The argument in the OP is that Theists and Atheists can be united by putting faith in the unknown.
It can't work, though, because the whole point of the Biblical branch of Theism is that their God is not unknown. He communicates.
This is precisely what the Atheist viewpoint (whether you call it faith or not) denies.
So the two viewpoints can never be in unity.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thank you for the link, I will read it now.

The early Phoenician language is the root language for English.

This is correct, and in todays ever-changing digital society you can see how smileys were once a medium of conveying information (merely emotions) and now rage comics are popular, merely becuase they're a common way to tell stories using these smiley or rage faces.

www.reddit.com...

I understand, in my own way, what the blog says, I translate it to not modern speech, but the parallel is present as I see it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I do believe Atheists and Theists are much like two complimentary parts of an engine, their lines of argument are the constantly-pumping pistons of a greater theological argument that humanity is merely using to drive itself forward, slowly and surely.

What I'm trying to say is that Atheists are like the piston when it is compacted, but their actions have extended another piston; Theists are one piston and they push as they pull the ones atheists tried to as well.

Their back and forth illuminates truths overlooked by both sides, to someone like me, examining them like I would any engine I wanted to recreate.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I think your assumptions are starting at the wrong end, which is why you are throwing so much importance on "the search for truth".
The truth is not defined by being "found". The truth is what matches the objective reality. Human thought reaches its destination when it matches objective reality.
The case of the Biblical Theist is that there is no need for a "search", because the Bible involves direct communication from the root of objective reality.
This either is, or is not, true. That is the great divide.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

That's okay with me some people look to the same book for different answers, but merely the wide range of interpretations that the book can have leading to widely different policies, is dangerous in practice.

I recall reading some earlier Gnostic Christians though the snake in the Genesis story was God, and that the God of Genesis was merely an imposter, trying to keep humanity dim. The snake had a voice, the God a motive.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You are correct that many look for different answers and find them.. ,usually because they have the wrong question to begin with ...What was the first question you had and looked for a answer in the book, and what was the answer you found? ....peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join