It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minus 80 Degrees in Alaska? Would have been a record but thermometer breaks!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamingsFree

LMAO!!! I remember one of my sgts showing me that trick with a cup of coffee, toss it in the air, hear it freeze and fall to the ground as 'brown snow'

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Go figure. Ontario Canada set a record high temp.,
it's been one of the most warmest winters.
The lawns are green, and the leaves are still on & green
on my climbing roses.

That's not good for the farmers.
If there's no snow then there will be no spring runoff,
but drought. It will impede the salmon run. A cold-snap late
in the season usually results in a loss of vegetation.

The weather has been all over the board.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
After a thirty year stint in the army my grandfather went to work as a cook on the trawlers out of Hull in the 60's and 70's.
I remember him telling me that he would spit and it would be frozen before it hit the ground and it would ricochet.
They had men up in the rigging with axes because the sea spray would immediately freeze to the metal cables and build up, leaving her at risk of what was known as "turning turtle", where she would simply flip over 180º in the water because she was so top heavy wih ice.

Frightening..truely frightening is mother nature.
edit on 31-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
You can boil water and throw it out in the air in -50 degrees and its frozen before it hits the ground.

The last two weeks has been between -20 to -30, I love the garage!!!!!!!!!

And for those who pray, please pray for Our homeless, and those pushed out from their homes this winter

PEACE
edit on 31-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: grammer

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Coldest temp that I've been exposed to was -57 degrees C with wind chill. I couldn't stay outside for more than a minute. My lungs hurt when I breathe. One side of my cheek is very sensitive to both cold and heat, due to a previous frostbite. But anyway, not very comfortable when working outside. Hopped in and out of the truck constantly to warm up.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I remember a number of -50 and -60 days and LOTS of -10 and -20 days in the Fairbanks area some years back....

Thus the reason why when 20-30 degrees rolls around....everyone is wearing shorts!

But yeah, they can keep their -85....I will take my sunny 60 Colorado weather like today!

oh and by the way....residents up there have to (should) winterize their vehciles....so if a vehcile is left outside, you literally plug it in to an outlet....for your engine block heater.....

I know at the air force base there....the flightline crew would be out working on the jets up to -40....then they had to come inside....
edit on January 30th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I grew up in fairbanks

She's right, we would be out playing soccer in the snow in t-shirts when it got up to 20 degrees... and jumping through sprinklers at 50F. We played outside at recess until it was -20F. *sigh* I miss alaska.

We had one day that was -80 with the windchill when I was a kid in the 70s in Fairbanks... it is the ONLY day they called off school... and even then they didn't right away. I got on a bus rode all the way into the school parking lot before they turned the bus around and sent us home... and here in KY they call off school if there is a rumor of a snow flake in the air....

... pffft.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

I used to live in halfway up the Cairngorms Avimore and was talking about a combined temp with wind chill factor.

edit on 31-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I forgot about the plugs!!! I remember when I was transferring to Ft Hood, I went home on leave and people saw the plug under my grill and asked about that, I told them it was so cold in AK, gas would freeze, and our cars were battery powered, that we had to plug them up to recharge. Man people are sooo gullible

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by andy1972

I used to live in halfway up the Cairngorms Avimore and was talking about a combined temp with wind chill factor.

edit on 31-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

So you lived in the north of Scotland, cold, but a bit unbelievable all the same.

edit on 1-2-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I used to live in the very north of the UK in the mountains and when it got lower than -25c we could dry our washing by putting it out on the washing line and then 15 mins later just hit it with a stick the ice dropped off and it was dry.

That's amazing! I never heard that before...

Yeah but that would also break the arms and legs off the garments. I spent a week in Stockholm Sweden on business in 1990 ( I think) the last few days we were there it got down to -42 as displayed on the motorway signs. It was so cold that it hurt to breath with the air crystallizing in my nose. Mind you it was still possible to get about and I preferred it to the dark wet and dingy days we are having in the UK at the moment. It was a very dry cold a bit like dry hot being better than humid hot. Didn't see any homeless people no way they would survive a night out in the open in those temperatures,
edit on 1-2-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join