It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it morally wrong to take a life? Not really, say bioethicists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
it depends who were killing doesn't it?? you don't kill the newlyweds and their dog, you kill the crazed gunman on a rampage.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
it depends who were killing doesn't it?? you don't kill the newlyweds and their dog, you kill the crazed gunman on a rampage.

Well put.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Ive killed a lot of weeds, ive killed a lot of trees, ive killed a lot of bugs, ive killed of game, but mostly ive killed alot of brain cells, and whoever wrote that article did too

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is why I take an absolute stance against taking a life.

The only exception might be euthanasia but only if somebody is suffering irreversibly. I oppose abortion, the death penalty, and the concept of 'just warfare'.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion

If you think the taking of a human life is morally wrong, you must therefore think the taking of any life is morally wrong. Otherwise that is a prime example of hypocrisy and delusional self grandeur.

I disagree because I think that we have a special duty to treat our own species with humanity.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Morality is an individual concept.. for some killing is not morally wrong.

As a society we consider killing (a human) to be ethically wrong.

Example:

I find killing animals, even hunting, morally wrong.
Society does not have an ethical dilemma with it.

I find killing innocent humans morally wrong.
Society finds it ethically wrong.
Some murderers find no moral dilemma.

I find killing criminals to be morally correct.
Society finds it also to be ethically correct. But many do not find it morally correct.

Can't really dictate morals.
edit on 1/30/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Morality is an individual concept.. for some killing is not morally wrong.

I find killing animals, even hunting, morally wrong.
Society does not have an ethical dilemma with it.

Can't really dictate morals.
edit on 1/30/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

What if an animal population gets out of hand? like lets say if deer populate so much that on a weekly basis there are car accidents because of it

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I find it interesting that these two 'health practitioners' are american.
Also disturbing is that so many donors don't realize hearts are taken
from donor while they are still beating.
This is an open door for corruption.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Weeds cant change... people can.

Only fools cant see something so simple. I would agree to taking those bioethicists out into a street and publicly flogging them untill they understand the differance between people and weeds.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Weeds cant change... people can.

Only fools cant see something so simple. I would agree to taking those bioethicists out into a street and publicly flogging them untill they understand the differance between people and weeds.

Lets say someone says they changed and they don't. they go back to the ill things they did before. murdering and raping? should we allow them to continue?

your foolish if you beleive so.many samurai had a beleif. the threat of violence alone was enough to deter it. one sword is unsheathed to keep others in theirs. Sometimes a hand on the grip and an angry look are all thats needed

During the cold war the Solviet union never launched nukes because the united states would launch theirs.

Someone once tried to rob me. They decided agaist it when I grabbed the nearest blunt object.

that same person robbed someone else 20 minutes later. that same person had been in trouble for robbery before.

Sometimes people do not deserve the lives they have.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what dies and what lives. Everything is nature and sometimes nature kills itself to rebirth itself and evolve. We are the creation of nature. Anything we create is natural, even death.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
i value all life, and life is life. no matter how dull or complex. but survival is the game. i think one can go on with good conscious over killing a life if it serves purpose and you live a little better than the life you took.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I do not think that it is so morally wrong to take the life of another considering that all life will come to an end eventually. Of course I'm not trying to say that anyone should end someone else's life short because of that fact either. I mean, it is kind of the way the world works. Animals such as ourselves kill and eat other animals all the time for their meat. If it is a matter of survival of the fittest then yes I completely agree to slaying another down. I don't agree with it while we are living in these modern times where it is not really a necessity to go out and kill someone for lunch though!
I'm just saying. In some ways I can see where they are trying to go with saying such things.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

I think this is your problem right here. There are two sides to this coin. Humans DO have the potential to unite the universe in a way that has never before been imaginable. In a way that can propagate all forms of life, not limited to just their own. Some might even say that humans have this as their duty since only they as a species can truly understand and appreciate all the things in this universe. I choose to be more optimistic because while I have seen the bad in mankind, I feel the goodness can and does outweigh it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by prettylittleidiot
reply to post by r3axion

I think this is your problem right here. There are two sides to this coin. Humans DO have the potential to unite the universe in a way that has never before been imaginable. In a way that can propagate all forms of life, not limited to just their own. Some might even say that humans have this as their duty since only they as a species can truly understand and appreciate all the things in this universe. I choose to be more optimistic because while I have seen the bad in mankind, I feel the goodness can and does outweigh it.

Human beings also tend to be much more savage than any wild beast. The problem is that the the good populus has the infection of the savages within it. the good usually try to rationalize and tame the savages but in the end much of the time the savages remain savage.

the coin lands on its edge in this case. you get neither of what you want

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Killing is as natural as Breathing. It is what nature instilled in us since the beginning of time and the only reason we are here as a species. It is the cycle of life. Man is the most INHUMANE creature walking the planet. Problem is that everyone has become so housbroken, domesticated and obedient that they forgot their roots and think they're some special, civil and morally spiritual creature.

edit on 31/1/2012 by Revealation because: (no reason given)

edit on 31/1/2012 by Revealation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Eugenics still proliferate in the scientific community I see......

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

If you can not respect the life of another or their
sovereignty then you deserve neither.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Can someone explain to me why it is morally okay to "take the life" of a weed?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

There is an important difference between Humans and a plant. One of us has sentience/self-awareness, and the other does not. Humans aren't the only species on Earth to be self-aware imo, and that's why I find it highly immoral to hunt or kill certain species, such as dolphins etc.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join