It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungi Discovered In The Amazon Will Eat Your Plastic

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If this is true it's fantastic news.

Nature saves our butts again.

Thank-you Mother Nature.

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Here's an older story. But this story is just now viral. Hmmm. Pages and pages of search results show postings in the last day or so.

08/03/2011 01:28 PM

Yale Undergrads Discover Plastic-Eating Fungi
SustainableBusiness.com News

Yale undergraduates have discovered fungi growing in the Amazon Rainforest that can degrade polyurethane, a finding that could lead to innovative ways of reducing waste in the world's landfills.

The research, detailed in the July issue of the journal, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, is the work of undergraduates who participated in Yale's Rainforest Expedition and Laboratory course, funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Students search for and collect endophytes - organisms found in rainforest plants - and then test them for biological activity. They analyze those that show biological activity to see whether they might have other medical or social uses.

On a 2008 trip to Equador, Pria Anand, Class of 2010, decided to see if the endophytes she collected could be used in bioremediation. A rudimentary test showed that a chemical reaction took place when the endophyte was introduced to plastic. Other students found analyzed endophytes to find those that break down chemical bonds most efficiently.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Fungi have an amazing range have uses, more than we can probably imagine. Check out Paul Stamets talk "6 ways mushrooms can save the world":

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Need to put it off the beach in Hawaii where all the plastics have landed ashore

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
And when the fungus that ate the worlds pollution had eaten all of it's supply, it grew even hungrier. And turned to flesh and devoured all of gods creatures, in the air, in the water and on land. And then the world was once again, pollution free.

I am scared..
the flesh eating virus scares my insanely, and we've still not rid ourselves of that.. Our tinkering with nature always finds a way to bight us - sometimes literally - in the backside!

edit on 31-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

FUNGUS is certainly on the move - Yet Again -/ Just read a USGS report that explains how a newly discovered / named, Fungi happens to be killing off our insect eating Bats. We studied Space, Found Nothing, surrounded the Planet with tonnes of Junk. Over the past few years Scientist have decided to now study FUNGI....................What a wonderful world ???

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Ohhhh that kind of plastic...
I thought they found my ex-wife!!!

I was about to say......

"...Hollywood is in an uproar this morning as news of new plastic eating fungi hits newstands...."

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
So it's not going to be Nano Technology that turns the world in to grey goo...

It's going to be plastic eating fungus

Grey Goo

edit on 31-1-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by Neocrusader

interesting idea on the plaque eating bacteria almost like dentics from far scape(NEVER swallow a dentic!)

i also think its sad that we dont even know what cures or other potental usefull plants we have just killed off in the rainforest,im hoping that this isnt an old fungi but a new reaction from nature to try to clean up the place on its own because not all the humans are on the same level of the green bandwagon thank you for your reply

hya
reminds me of the film Medicine man (sean connery)
the cure for cancer is in the rainforrest
but them bloody loggers wont stop

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Not so fast. A 16 year old from Canada came up with this two years ago:

Boy Discovers Plastic Eating Micro

It's not your average science fair when the 16-year-old winner manages to solve a global waste crisis. But such was the case at last May's Canada-Wide Science Fair in Ottawa, Ontario, where Daniel Burd, a high school student at Waterloo Collegiate Institute, presented his research on microorganisms that can rapidly biodegrade plastic. Daniel had a thought it seems even the most esteemed PhDs hadn't considered.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Plastics can also be naturally occuring - for example it is hypothesised that the dunes on Titan are basically made of (a type of) plastic.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Longshots

thnak you for adding that i was unsure as to when this discovery was actualy made thats why i didnt put it in breakign news as it seems that this has been getting looked at for a few years now thank you for that its sad if yale is trying to steal this 16 year olds thunder

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by steaming

well to be fair the fungus is natural in orgin(we havent screwed with it yet i dont think) and sadly the fungus killing all those bats is problay nature made too kind of harder to stop mother nature killing off her creations

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deometer

thank you very much for posting that youtube video it was informative and i got a few laughs thank you for your reply its kind of weird to think that if we survive as a race it will probaly from learning how to use what our planet gives us more efficently

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
What would the spores do if breathed in ?
Look at valley fever. I know, I have it. It is no walk in the park.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This could probably weaponized.

You know what modern stealth planes are made of? Plastic!! High strength composites are plastic including your beloved carbon fiber hood is also made of plastic!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

My pleasure!

if we survive as a race it will probaly from learning how to use what our planet gives us more efficently

Wonderfully put!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

thats the thing that kinda makes me kinda worry they didnt bring up any potential health risks but i was reading something and i dont have a link right now is this type of fungi MIGHT be useful in treating cancer as well but as it was only linked by a big sciency word i didnt quite get i may have been reading about a different type of the same fungus but if they are going to use it in any major way i would like to see it vetted by multiple countries.And as long as Monsanto has nothing to do with it ill feel better about it

and as a side note aren't plastics kinda related to oil what if this stuff starts to eat oil.....then it definatly could be turned into a weapon by what ever country that has a replacement for gas might beable to use it to great effect but i am no scientist its just something that worries my non scientific brain......so defiantly test this stuff before doing anything crazy with it

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by IronDogg

thank you for the reply sorry for the delay in response i was distracted with other matters,yes after hearing some more comments and seeing a few more links i am not as optimistic about it as i was before hand when posting more testing is by far key and making sure its all safe and dont end up in the wrong hands should be a priority

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Wow sounds like a pretty aggressive fungus enzyme. Probably would eat flesh too. Scary!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join