It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandia's self-guided bullet prototype can hit target a mile away

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I agree if the evolves there will be two man teams with one lighting up the target. However, the source article did state that a bullet has been successfully test fired with an internal led so that much of the system has already been tested. The article also stated steering would be done with fins. So it does sound as if they are on the way to a one man fire and forget bullet system.

The internal IED was to track the bullet's flightpath.

That's a far cry from installing a laser to point out of the front of the bullet, which would seriously compromise its killing capability.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh cmon.. this takes all the skill out of shooting...

Where is the outrage from seasoned snipers?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Reminds me of the movie Dune where an assassin uses a similar remote piloted bullet dart against Paul Atreides (Kyle MacLachlan) in the David Lynch version. I can't find a clip of it but here's the trailer.

movieclips.com...

I imagine eventually we'll have all kinds of miniature UAV's that mimic insects in order to spy on or kill unfortunate targets.

Eventually? is NOW at least the proto types

Israel-Times.com Technology - DragonFly Robot Micro UAVs

Just add a hypodermic needle

Caption: Dr Gregory Parker, Micro Air Vehicle team leader, holds a small winged drone that resembles a dragonfly at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. The Micro Air Vehicles unit of the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright Patterson AFB is developing small military drones, with the goal of making them so small that they resemble small birds and insects, including some that will have moving wings... Picture: REUTERS

www.telegraph.co.uk...

...A model of an insect-sized US Air Force drone is held by a member of the Micro Air Vehicles team of the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. The mission is to develop MAVs that can find, track and target adversaries while operating in complex urban environments.
Picture: REUTERS

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 31-1-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

That's a far cry from installing a laser to point out of the front of the bullet, which would seriously compromise its killing capability.

It is a far cry from making the hole system work together but the point is that it is being worked on and they have gotten that far. Im not saying I think its going to be a good system but it might be good enough so a person with minimal skills can score a hit from a mile away.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
the sniper doesnt even have to paint target an undercover op can paint with invisible designator then the sniper could fire from long distance cover and bullet would appear out of nowhere.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
I see the M-107 .50cal rifle as the target for an eventual production model of this type of round. They will have to configure it to work with a rifled bore, however - which will probably prove quite difficult.

Otherwise, you are looking at a very expensive bullet that requires a specialized firing platform with a questionable amount of penetrating capability.

That is likely to generate very little interest, even from the special forces communities.

You wouldn't need rifling in barrels anymore. rifling in barrels reduces FPS/energy. The .50 caliber sniper rifle can have a interchangeable smooth bore barrel.....for REAL long range sniper work. Aircraft 20mm cannons would have each and every round guided to the opposing aircraft, missile, or PEOPLE......Dog Fighting would be a 1 sided affair.

We started putting rifling in barrels for more accuracy....with these new bullets.....rifling is no longer needed.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

It is a far cry from making the hole system work together but the point is that it is being worked on and they have gotten that far. Im not saying I think its going to be a good system but it might be good enough so a person with minimal skills can score a hit from a mile away.

Also don't forget the factor that when the Military tells us they gave invented something and release it to the public. its already 10 plus years out of date

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I don't think that it's about designing a weapon for people with minimal skills.

I think that this is a weapon system tailor-made for elite shooters to better ensure a one-shot one-kill philosophy. If you're a sniper who just spent a few days crawling through miles of crap just to kill an enemy general, then you need to make that shot count.

I can't specifically see this as being a great assassination weapon (for the time being) simply because the bullet would be recovered and it would be rather obvious as to who would be deployed with this technology.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

This weapon can also be of good use for inner city fighting house to house etc. Use this technology on the anti material rifles then it can hit a tank or APC on a critical spot you want it to.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
pretty expensive deer hunting ammo

I think just sensor activated game cameras with a pistol on board would be simpler and cheaper..
deer passes in front of camera....BANG got picture with deer

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

nothing that a netted bug zapper cant fix

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
A laser shining on you gives your position away, there are sensors that can measure all wavelengths of light and as soon as you are being lased you know where your attacker is. This really is cool technology.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

thanks for the technical inputs................are there any technologies available to 'unpaint' your self once you have been lased i.e. blind laser so that bullet cannot home in on you. cheers!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I can't specifically see this as being a great assassination weapon (for the time being) simply because the bullet would be recovered and it would be rather obvious as to who would be deployed with this technology.

Agreed, but what I see is some one getting a hold of the weapon and the ammo who has his own agenda, terror. That is why I said some one with minimal skills would use it to bring down a high value target. On the flip side I expect new defenses will come about also.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join