It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Walled City, Older than Egypt's Pyramids, Unearthed off US Georgia Coast

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by punisher2012
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Maybe they were "walled up" from the rising tides, pehaps just enough to let water flow over the walls and when it recieded, it left an abundance of fish for meals, not a bad idea considering how close to the water they are. Not need much ag. for a small colony like that.

That is a pretty good thought. It could be benficial in the survival forum.

Well,after a few thousand years of living there they figured out that those big storms that come across the Atlantic will produce a storm surge.

Unlike today.

It must be a blind spot for all humans, wherever you are (in built stupidity gene).

We always build on the most stupid bit of land we can. Live in a low lying coastal area that suffers from earthquakes and storm surges? Build here by the sea!

New family to raise? Build a home here in this pestilence ridden low lying reclaimed swamp land surrounded by steep hills and lots of rain.......

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
what if some day we discover a city really deep down the surface which dated back 10's of thousands of years ago...what if there once really was a civilization much more advanced than our own,which flooded or got destroyed by some man made or outer space made wars....what if this cycle of life and progression of civilizations has been happening several times before......Lets say someone just discovered some hard evidence to back up these theories... would you really want that to be exposed to the public?!.....what would have knowing the truth do to the status quo?...wouldn't most people just freak out of their minds?!....these questions have always been pondering in my mind!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by shapur

Certainly! The public has a right to know EVERYTHING that could affect us or that has in some way affected us because it is a part of our history. In other words, governments have no right to keep secrets from the people, simply because "it's always been that way".
Now, how people react to information like that, is a different story. If they freak out, then so be it. That's up to each individual. Whether or not we were created by some alien race is not at issue - the fact is that we are sentient, self-aware beings, and as such, we each, individually, have the right and responsibility to provide for ourselves and run our own lives as we see fit. As such, we have the right to any and all information that could change our individual lives, ESPECIALLY if it was procured by someone we're supposed to trust to protect our wellbeing.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Apparently this is a year old already, Interesting stuff by all means though..

www.georgiaencyclopedia.org...

Six hours southeast of Atlanta off the Georgia coast on Sapelo Island, archaeologists have unearthed the remains of an ancient walled city which predates the construction of many of Egypt's pyramids. Known as the Sapelo Shell Ring Complex, this ancient city was constructed around 2300 B.C.

and how the hell does anybody know what pre-dates anything these days.. could be 2 billion years old for all we know...

edit on 1/2/2012 by Kluute because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Well, slightly off topic but the walls and tower at Jericho have been dated to 9500 BC (refusing to add the E!). Which means that old as these walls are, they aren't that old in comparison!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Georgia is another portal on the grid. How I know that i dont know...i just do.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

I tend to agree, on the east coast of Australia along the beaches archaeologist have found huge piles of shells and fossilised shell fish or "middens" from aboriginies who during migration would stop and camp at various locations. these sites date back thousands of years. and as the aboriginies have been in australia up to 50,000 years this practice would have gone on up until it was interupted by colonisation.
www.dpcd.vic.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by Harte

Wasn't speaking about this site specifically though I can see it could have been taken that way. What I meant was discoveries such as these in present day which has escaped us for many years. Because of technology and the general mapping throughout the decades many believe that our history as is it taught now is the end all, when discoveries such as these force us to question whether we have it all figured out. Sorry for the confusion

I see.

However, people shouldn't think that way, and history (ancient history) isn't taught that way.

Ancient history is taught as a series of conjectures made concerning, and using, the factual evidence that has been discovered.

New interpretations of the evidence arise regularly, and new evidence (obviously) also arises regularly.

Both situations usually result in an adjustment (whether large or small) to the present-day thinking concerning the ancient past.

Harte

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by maceov
Yes, well they were called the Annunaki in Sumeria and the Anakim in ancient Israel.

Lego linguistics.

The two words above are not only completely unrelated, they also come from two distinctly seperate language families.

The rest of that post isn't even worthy of the small effort it would take to debunk.

Harte

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Ancient people were not devoid of knowledge. They were not primitive with no sense of society. In fact some ancient civilizations had technology and techniques that rival our own today. In fact the Watchers (rebellious angels) of the antediluvian world (which may be Atlantis) taught men many things such as abortion.
edit on 1-2-2012 by yahushuasaves because: addition to comment.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
A pre-clovis civilization? Interesting. I would be willing to bet that the settlement was from Europeans.

Just my simple thoughts.

Uh, do you even have a basic knowledge of the timeline of ancient Americans? According to the article, this city was constructed in 2300 BC. That's almost 8,000 years after the collapse of the Clovis people. Don't toss around words like "Clovis" when you really don't know what you're talking about.
edit on 1-2-2012 by CRDDD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

This is great stuff. I agree with others here that there is a lot we don't know about ourselves and our past. Changes, new peoples moving in, all contributed to stamping out the pasts of numerous groups leaving only vague stories and remaining tidbits for us to find and wonder about. Not just in the Americas, but everywhere.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by dadgad
I love agriculture.

I think we humans are designed for agricultural life, not city life. The most beautiful societies were the agricultural ones in my opinion. Like the Japanese mountains villages.

I wish I could go back in time. I am sick of modern day.

Or the hill villages of Nepal, the fishing villages on the Mekong, etc an earlier life does have it charms but at the first infection, tooth ache or death of your wife and child in childbirth might change your mind.

How charming and alluring this was can be seen in the number of Europeans in the 18-19th century who went 'native' when encountering the Polynesian and Asian worlds

Totally true. And don't think I haven't given thought to that. My solution is very practical and lovely. We go back to agricultural life with our modern day technologies!

Don't get me wrong, I love science. We seem destined to do that. But man. We are really using it in the wrong ways.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thank you for the find OP bravo to you..I must ask in general why can the bulk of Science and people in general not get it into there heads that mankind is much ,much older then what we have been told ..Human remains and human settlements dating back further and further appear all the time at some point humanity as a whole needs to accept we know nothing of our real history and we should make it a priority to do as much research as we can on these very old sites we find ...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by essanance
Thank you for the find OP bravo to you..I must ask in general why can the bulk of Science and people in general not get it into there heads that mankind is much ,much older then what we have been told ..Human remains and human settlements dating back further and further appear all the time at some point humanity as a whole needs to accept we know nothing of our real history and we should make it a priority to do as much research as we can on these very old sites we find ...

The vast 'bulk' of scientitst know that; what you are referring to is a fringe myth assigned to them by the fringe.

Nearly all new knowledge of the past comes from scientists

That is what makes this myth most amusing. Scientists are alleged to not know or resist the idea of our not having all the information on our past while at the same time providing almost all the new information on said past ....a very weird contradiction, lol

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It is just sensational Journalism that is provided in the link in the OP.
The sapelo Shel lRing Complex was not dscovered last week. Archaeologists found about it long long back and have done ample research on them.

Secondly, the Three Shell Rings DO NOT CONSTITUTE a CITY. that is another bit of sensational journalism..or pure Paper-razzi! They were just an ancient settlement. Settlements do not make a city. Just like cultures do not make a civilization.

Thirdly, There are hundreds of ancient settlements that predate the Pyramids. another bit of Paper-razzi.

Seriously....

edit on 1/2/12 by coredrill because: typos

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpaine1809
reply to post by kimish

Europeans have never settled anywhere...They just go in and kill all the ingenious populations and take others land.

And unless you are a native indian from USA, your ancestors were part of this.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by tpaine1809
reply to post by kimish

Europeans have never settled anywhere...They just go in and kill all the ingenious populations and take others land.

And unless you are a native indian from USA, your ancestors were part of this.

As I noted earlier that claim is not correct

To comment on 'Europeans' never settling a place

They settled northern Europe which wasn't occupied by the Neanderthals plus Iceland & Greenland. They also occupied and settled on a number of islands around the world that they were the first to get to; Azores, Falklands, etc

Native Americans also spent a great deal of time taking land from other Native Americans
edit on 1/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by gymbeau2000

Originally posted by golemina
Here is a hint to all you armchair anthropologists...

The Earth is NOT the same as it was in the 'past'. Great sections of the Earth are under water that used to be dry land... Sections that are dry land USED to be under water.

No Kidding. It's called PLATE TECTONICS. Even a basic understanding of that explains Earth changes.

Nope! It has ZERO to do with plate tectonics.

If you SUDDENLY and dramatically change the poles, the stresses are so vast that there are HUGE rips in the Earth, the oceans totally come out of their basins and the volcanic activity is simply devastating.

Look at eastern Washington and Oregon, it was such a rip. The lava flows are thousands of feet thick.

And cover a place that USED to be someones home.

PT takes a long time to make things happen.

Those cataclysms happened in just a couple of hours.

Quick enough, for example, to cover a herd of Woolly Mammoths that were grazing in a tropical field one day... Frozen under massive ice just a couple of hours later.

You do the math.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by rainbowbear

To say it is trivial is to say, we will buy into any future that seems better than what we had. Nevermind that possibly there was a much more civil (dare I say religious) way to live than now.

This is the most peaceful time in human history. Small tribal groups tend to raid one another, up to 40% of the male population dying from violence in such societies.

Example 2-300 people today die in organize violence (war) in ww II it was 35,000 a day

I believe it is due to a disconnection with our past.

Anyone can read about our past as we presently understand it - why would disconnection from this cause x or y problem?

It is an appeal to authoritiy to take historical "facts" as truth. Like we need experts to tell us that people have ALWAYS used boats, and ALWAYS used trade.

No, at some point we didn't have boats and or trade, those are technologies we slowly developed. Give one guy a root in exchange for sharp rock is somewhat different than sending silk from China to Rome, just a tad more complex

Its about being the gatekeepers to truth, where the ultimate power is held.

Oh and who are 'they' and what are they hiding?

No! I'm sorry... You speak with such 'knowledge' and authority.
Not!

The anthropology yarn you are spinning is white man domination dogma.

Everything about it is totally fiction.

Do you have a summary paper outlining your opinions?

Please direct me to it, so that it can summarily be dispatched as the childrens tale that it is...

You've already mentioned Clovis, the land bridge, etc (the standard nonsense from the 70s.
).

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join