It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raspberry Pi $25 computer update

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
God damnit I can't wait
I have some tiny spare screens and batteries from salvaged video game consoles and phones.
Even have a tiny keyboard, some rechargable batteries, a few tiny solar panels.
I am going to create my own personal handheld gaming device with this.
I'm going to have a ball.

EDIT: PSP battery voltage is too low.

edit on 30-1-2012 by OmegaOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Your right! It was the good old days lol.

Interesting to note that Acorn, who built the BBC Micro I used in school as a kid went on to become ARM Holdings who's chip architecture powers the Raspberry Pie, and just about every smartphone out there.

I think the architecture was originally to outdo the old Motorola 6502.
edit on 30/1/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Your right! It was the good old days lol.

Interesting to note that Acorn, who built the BBC Micro I used in school as a kid went on to become ARM Holdings who's chip architecture powers the Raspberry Pie, and just about every smartphone out there.

I still have my old Acorn BBC Micro i loved it so much. Was the first computer i ever bought

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

My old Speccy is still upstairs, I dust it off from time to time.. It's funny how I still remember BASIC after all these years.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaOwl

There's so much room for innovation with this little device. There's any number of projects that could be brought to life.

The price point just makes it accessible to everyone. Just watch, Rasperry Pie could take over the world! It's a hobbyists dream.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This thing is sweet, gonna have to pick one up!

Currently SSD drives are shrinking smaller than the SATA connector, and I feel we are about to hit a major tech boom.

Imagine the next iPhone and other phones running a lighting fast SSD instead of a slow outdated SD card.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I got mine this afternoon already!!! Haven't had the chance to really play with it yet.. I got home from work and had a small package sitting beside my garage.. Sure enough!
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow at the office, cough cough, during my lunch break...
haha

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

I got mine this afternoon already!!!

Pics, or it didn't happen

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If you are planning on interfacing with robotics, the Arduino Uno R3 is still miles above this wizzy new board in real time capability. You would have to attach a lot of DIO, PWD and A2D to do real time work on this r-pi, which would have to be done much slower serially with attachments interfacing with the USB interface.

Edit: That said, interfacing both of these boards together would be a real trip! Best of both worlds.
edit on 3-2-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

They haven't shipped any production boards yet have they? Did you buy one of the beta boards from Ebay?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Yes, it's a beta board.. Sorry, should've been a little clearer on that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join