It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Innate Belief in God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumSeeker

Originally posted by Audiokat

Also, you'd think a God who seems so keen on people to worship him, would at least make a slight effort to actually show that he does, indeed exist.

Well,let's say G-d does indeed exists ,there are quite a few miracles out there.
edit on 30-1-2012 by QuantumSeeker because: (no reason given)

what miracles r u reffering to?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
i gota admit that i am VERY uncomfortable with not knowing, lol...

Yes.
I was too for a while. Now, it's home. I'm VERY comfortable not knowing. How CAN we know?

i think we humans cant KNOW The Truth, or at least not in this life,

having said that, it still sucks not knowing lol

the whole essence of a truth seeker is that he will not be satisfied until he finds The Truth,

perhaps we must embrace The Mystery instead of trying to figure it out ....hmm...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Yes.
I was too for a while. Now, it's home. I'm VERY comfortable not knowing. How CAN we know?

Feel whats in your heart...

Thats how you know

What i feel in my heart is that God exists, that heaven sin etc is all real, i shudent fallow my heart shud i?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Yes.

Thats how you know

How can you trust the "heart"? You're heart says one thing, mine says another, every other posters says something else. As most of my posts in this topic have been about, it's mostly how you were raised that affects what "the heart" says. And that there are many contradictory stories others a feeling.

It'd be impossible for everyone's "heart" to know the truth. Most, if not all "hearts" would have to misguided or lying for all these different stories to come from them. Because of that, regardless of what you're heart says (especially if it was what it was raised to say, or if it's what you want to be true) you can't trust it.

Now, I'm not against Idealists, but that idealism isn't gonna put you any closer to what you're "knowing" being actually true.

Following the objective evidence and coming to a conclusion, not that you "know" the truth, but that you have the best and closest theory made based on all you have access to, is gonna get you much closer to what you "know" being the truth than anything else.

~
As previously stated. The first thing that turned me off to the religion I was exposed to, was that my "heart" never agreed. Nowhere did I have that stronger inner feeling that it was true. Not that sect, not Christianity at all, or any form of theism. I don't use that feeling as the basis for my belief, but as a reason that got me to look at it objectively.

Many others, have their subjective feelings insisting that they're beliefs are right.

Are they all true? Are all the Gods that people feel, real, and at the same time, nonexistent because others don't feel them too? Or is my heart lying? Are they're hearts lying? Is yours lying? How can you tell which one's telling the truth, if any? Obviously that system can't work.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I was raised in a religious household, and attended church well into my 20's thereafter.
I do not believe the Christian god exists, how could that possibly be the epitome of unconditional love after all. As far as gods of other religions go, I have little knowledge of them. When belief in one supernatural entity fails, it's rarely that another can take it's place.
When I look at all the life around me, and take the time to study it in detail I can understand how gradual changes over time could form a species into a specialized biological machine tuned for survival. I also have a hard time accepting these same changes as being the sole cause of there being millions of species on the planet.
I have a hard time accepting that my brain is the sole center of my consciousness, I struggle with the concept of "me" being nothing more than a collective series of remembered experiences.
I struggle with the concept of my mind seeing the facts before me, and my gut feeling telling me there must be something more behind this all, that there is something crucial that is being overlooked or dismissed.
Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm no scientist in any field beyond computer repair. I wasn't blessed with an outrageously IQ. I won't pretend that I understand half the things that I read - quite often I am in awe of it. I don't believe our pitiful human minds can comprehend the greatness of the life that inhabits the planet we live on. Does God exist? Maybe....maybe not. If any god does exist, I feel, he/she/it/they wish(es) to remain hidden for whatever reason. Maybe our reasoning cannot wrap itself around the meaning of life no more than a housecat can understand calculus. Who knows for certain? No one.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Yes.

Thats how you know

What i feel in my heart is that God exists, that heaven sin etc is all real, i shudent fallow my heart shud i?

Why are you asking me?

Follow what you believe.. your heart will guide you

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

How can you trust the "heart"?

Like this...

quote!
~
As previously stated. The first thing that turned me off to the religion I was exposed to, was that my "heart" never agreed. Nowhere did I have that stronger inner feeling that it was true. Not that sect, not Christianity at all, or any form of theism. I don't use that feeling as the basis for my belief, but as a reason that got me to look at it objectively.

Many others, have their subjective feelings insisting that they're beliefs are right.

Are they all true?

They are true until they are shown a greater truth... and if their mind is open to seeing that true... what was truth gives way to a greater truth... and so on...

Are all the Gods that people feel, real, and at the same time, nonexistent because others don't feel them too?

Possibly?

I only know one God...

Or is my heart lying? Are they're hearts lying? Is yours lying? How can you tell which one's telling the truth, if any? Obviously that system can't work.

Find love and you will find truth...

Religion just brings people closer to God... its not for everyone...

But there is truth within religious scriptures... and not just the bible

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Yes.

i think we humans cant KNOW The Truth, or at least not in this life,

having said that, it still sucks not knowing lol

the whole essence of a truth seeker is that he will not be satisfied until he finds The Truth,

perhaps we must embrace The Mystery instead of trying to figure it out ....hmm...

If we ever meet aliens we should grill about this topic lol,that being said even they might not know it (or worse try to lie to us).

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
To answer your question, there is a tribal people that do NOT believe in any gods, in fact a Christian missionary had trouble explaining the bible to them.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thats how you know

If I feel what's in my heart, that's what I FEEL, not what I KNOW. What I know is in my head. And besides, my heart doesn't feel that there is a God. My heart feels love, compassion, acceptance, joy, understanding, warmth and sympathy. But not "god". That's an opinion, not a feeling.

reply to post by 0thetrooth0

Perhaps we must embrace The Mystery instead of trying to figure it out ....hmm...

In my mind, I've already determined that there's NO WAY I will know until something presents itself to prove it one way or the other. So, I've completely let go of the need to know. I can't figure it out, so why waste time trying? I'll know when I need to know. I trust life.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If I feel what's in my heart, that's what I FEEL, not what I KNOW. What I know is in my head. And besides, my heart doesn't feel that there is a God. My heart feels love, compassion, acceptance, joy, understanding, warmth and sympathy. But not "god". That's an opinion, not a feeling.

And of course you are welcome to your opinion...

And here is mine...

Do you KNOW those feelings you're speaking of? Can you seperate them from negative feelings?

Those feelings you know are of God.... they are what bring us closer to him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join