It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Environmentalist group seeks to "expose" climate deniers among TV weathermen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
A group of climate change activists have started a crusade to expose climate change "denyers" and change the meterological profession into one that spouts the dogma of man-made global warming to their viewing audience.

Global warming activists seek to purge ‘deniers’ among local weathermen

Concerned that too many “deniers” are in the meteorology business, global warming activists this month launched a campaign to recruit local weathermen to hop aboard the alarmism bandwagon and expose those who are not fully convinced that the world is facing man-made doom.

The Forecast the Facts campaign — led by 350.org, the League of Conservation Voters and the Citizen Engagement Lab — is pushing for more of a focus on global warming in weather forecasts, and is highlighting the many meteorologists who do not share their beliefs.

Daily Caller

Here's what they are saying about local weathermen;

But when most Americans tune into their local weather report, they won't hear a peep about climate change. Why? Because the majority of TV meteorologists don't believe in it. That's right: the professionals most responsible for informing the public about the weather are systematically missing the most important weather story of our lifetime.

With over 1,000 TV meteorologists across the country, the level of denial varies widely. Some TV meteorologists spout outright falsehoods on air--like the idea that the earth is actually cooling, or that global warming is caused by sunspots (not Co2 and other greenhouse gasses.) In other cases, they cover increasingly extreme weather events like droughts, wild fires, flooding, and winter storms, without ever mentioning the scientific consensus that climate change is making these events more likely and more intense. It's the equivalent of a news anchor reporting on a string of murders without saying that there is a suspect in custody.

Forcast the facts

A recent poll showed that 63% of weather forcasters don't fall for the global warming hype, with only 31% believing that human activity is the cause and this is what has gotten this group's panties in a bunch.

So far, the campaign has identified 55 “deniers” in the meteorologist community and are looking for more. They define “deniers” as “anyone who expressly refutes the overwhelming scientific consensus about climate change: that it is real, largely caused by humans, and already having profound impacts on our world.”

“We track the views of meteorologists through their on-air statements, blog posts, social media activity, public appearances, interviews, and interactions with viewers,” the campaign explains.

The Houston Chronicle noted that meteorologists mostly track short periods of weather, not long-term climate trends.

DC

I think they make a pretty good point when they point out that local weathermen aren't trained to track long term weather. Asking them to speak out on an area outside their expertise seems disingenuous. They want to turn every weather related story into a part of the narritave that our planet is turning against us and we should all be on the verge of panic over the coming global catastrophy. Talk about sensationalism.

I remember a local weather guy who lost his job because he over-hyped every storm to come along as being the "storm of the century". After a while the viewers got tired of him crying wolf and sent him packing. He came back about 5 years later, a much humbler and restrained forcaster.

Local weathermen (yeah, I know they're mostly women these days
) should stick to what they know about; the local weather patterns and telling me if the weather will be nice tomorrow or not. They have no business pushing their global warming agenda down their viewer's throats, whether they are for or against it.

For this group to suggest otherwise shows the desperation of those who see the public wakeing up to the lies the scientific "establishment" has been spouting at them for all those years.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
More agenda driven BS....they don't like that people have different opinions, and they want to keep them from voicing their opinions, so that people are forced to hear more of THEIR BS.

Most meteorologist may not have been trained to understand long term climate effects, but they generally learn enough to have a basic understanding of how climate works. I'll at least listen to them over someone with a political agenda, but as always I make my mind up for myself.
edit on 30-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The article seems to me to be just as biased as they claim the 350.org group to be. Maybe it would be a good thing if the weathermen were capable of comparing the recent weather to that in the past in a more informative way? They are here to educate us about the weather right.

On the one hand the news is all biased, it doesn't surprise me that they would hire weather men that support the anti global warming agenda, as the people who own the MSM seem to be toating that idea.

On the other hand, being one who's work depends oon the weather, I have noticed that all of my weather men have been lying this winter to make it seem like we are actually having a winter. I swear I have been complaing to my work buddies about this for weeks. In the morning they predict it being much colder than it turns out to be, and they play catch up during the day when noone is paying attention. They have been wrong so many times this year aboutthe rain it is pitiful. They change their story as the weather is actually happening almost any time we are having any weather other than sunny.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quauhtli
On the other hand, being one who's work depends oon the weather, I have noticed that all of my weather men have been lying this winter to make it seem like we are actually having a winter. I swear I have been complaing to my work buddies about this for weeks. In the morning they predict it being much colder than it turns out to be, and they play catch up during the day when noone is paying attention. They have been wrong so many times this year aboutthe rain it is pitiful. They change their story as the weather is actually happening almost any time we are having any weather other than sunny.

I wouldn't be so sure that they were lying about the weather. Inaccurate weather forecasts have been a problem as long as there have been people trying to predict the weather. We complained about it when I was a kid, long before anyone heard about global warming.

It just goes to show how difficult the science of weather prediction really is. If they can't tell you what the weather is gonna be this afternoon, why do people think they can predict weather patterns over the course of years or even decades?

The only thing you can count on about the weather is that it will always change and it never does what we expect.

new topics

top topics

join