It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Suggests CBS News In The Tank For…Ron Paul?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Now, I certainly believe the MSM was guilty of an initial RP blackout. However, that being said, I believe the movement grew far too strong in this campaign year for the media outlets to ignore. So, instead of blacking RP out, they went with the SMEAR campaigns. Well, at least most of the MSM did...

Shockingly enough, a new study shows that CBS gave Ron Paul an amazing 89% of positive coverage. That is damn near unheard of from any candidate in any race whatsoever.

This article and study are extremely interesting to say the least.

On Monday morning’s Fox And Friends, co-host Steve Doocy cited a recent study from the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University that showed Mitt Romney receiving overwhelmingly negative coverage from the three broadcast networks and Fox News. One interesting result that was buried in that study: while Romney received 78% negative coverage from the broadcast networks, Rep. Ron Paul got a whopping 89% positive coverage from CBS News.

Wait, did I read that correctly? Romney (establishment candidate) receives 78% negative coverage (from establishment media)? Gotta love Doocy's explanation:

The thrust of Doocy’s brief segment on the study was that Romney is getting clobbered by the networks, but he bragged “Meanwhile, the most balanced coverage, Fox. 52% positive. 48% negative. So fair and balanced not only a slogan, we actually live by it.”

Okay, so let's take a closer look at the numbers here and what they represent:

He was referring to the results for the entire Republican field, not Romney specifically. While Gov. Romney did best on Fox News, the network still gave him 63% negative vs. 37% positive, hardly anything to write home about. According to the study, Rick Santorum is Fox’s guy, at 63% positive to 37% negative. While Fox News’ coverage of the overall Republican field was balanced, “NBC was the most negative overall with 27% positive vs. 73% negative coverage, followed closely by ABC with 32% positive vs. 68% negative coverage. Both NBC and ABC featured 85% negative comments on Romney,” according to the survey.

Nothing from the block of text above is really that surprising to me. It just goes to further illustrate Fox as the drama queen that I always thought her to be.

Now, finally let's look at how/why RP received such a high percentage of positive coverage:

Even higher on the Republican field than Fox News, though, was CBS News, whose overall coverage of the GOP race was 57% positive, to 43% negative. That stat, however, is skewed by the fact that CBS featured 89% positive coverage of Rep. Ron Paul, the Texas Congressman with that ultra-loyal following and disproportionate knack for fundraising.

There is a catch, of course. The study looked at coverage of the Republican primary from Jan. 1 through Jan. 10, the night of the New Hampshire primary, where Ron Paul finished second. That accounts for the fact that Rep. Paul was getting so much attention, but still, that 89% positive figure is stunning, especially given the media’s well-documented habit of ignoring or marginalizing the candidate.

I certainly learned a little bit from this article and study. I hope you do too.

Original Source Article
CMPA Study
edit on 1/30/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

join