It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photography banned in schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Recently I was informed by my brother that photography of any kind is now banned at his school.
Appearently schools in other states around Australia have put this ban into place after it was initially proposed for Queendland schools in April.
This ban is mainly due to the possible misuse of camera phones, because the school claimed that photography of another person without consent is an invasion of privacy.
I understand that there is a possibility for misuse of camera phones but do you think this going too far? Even if someone was to take a photo of people simply walking down the hallway this would result in punishment, and ironically you would have your own privacy invaded as the teacher would have to check all photos on the phone. I remember that students who never wanted class photos were still made to have their photo taken without consent.
I know photography and camera phones are banned in other places such as some swimming pools and gym's for more obvious reasons but where will it stop? If someone happens to be taking a photo of a busy street for a newspaper or something they don't have to get consent from the people who can clearly be seen, yet this would not be considered an invasion of privacy.
Personally i am not sure what to make of this ban and would be interested to hear what people have to say on the issue.
So the question i ask is:

Do people think that banning of all photography in schools is going too far?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Banning all photography in schools is going definitely going too far.

But rules should be established to make sure kids aren't abused or exploited by it. Schools and the students should be careful about how the photography is taken and used. Invasion of privacy and all that...

I haven't heard about the ban down here in Vic though.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Yeah, the school that my brother goes to is in Vic so i think it's relatively new for the state.
To clarify: not all schools in Victoria have banned photography, but i know that my brothers school has.
[edit on 15-9-2004 by tomh31]

[edit on 15-9-2004 by tomh31]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I didn't know there was a ban on photography in schools in Vic.
I think a total ban on photography in schools is a little overboard,
oh well Australina Government for you, too hard to control or educate
people about things, just Ban It!

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Well, there's one way to save money, I suppose...

Refuse to fund the school newspaper because it includes pictures. Those are illegal now, I guess.

Next on the chopping block: Books.

Come on down to your school gym and burn a book!

It'll be just like Hitler all over again. I'll bring marshmallows.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We still get options to learn photography with no objections, there are quite a few teachers that are willing to teach us.

top topics

join