It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kickarse Gaming system specs help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Heya folks

ok, got a friend wanting to build a intense gaming system. His budget is 800$, and I would like a cut if I am going to be sorting it out for him..so, trying to get the best bang for the buck for maybe 600 (more or less).

So, ya..been looking at specs for good systems that are somewhat cheapish, but most of the stuff out there is a bit dated (no, I don't want to build a top of the line gaming system circa 2007)

Trick is mostly the mom board + chip that works well. (holy crap, there is a 16 core processor out there!!!)

Anyhow, any suggestions would help (preferrably with a link..I find newegg to be the most economical).

Uses:
Work (he deals in electronics) School (university stuff) and running skyrim on ultra settings with 4096 texture mods to murder video cards with no issues.

So, whats your suggestions?

Needed (piece by piece)
Case
Ram
Monitor
Hard Drive
Video Card
Chip
Motherboard
Power Supply

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Hmm, 200 bucks to build a PC for a friend? Nice friend!
You do realise it's like 1 hours work to assemble at worst? Another hour or two for software...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
www.outletpc.com...

Is being delivered to my house today with 8 gig more memory and a 1.5TB hd. I have a vid card (5700 Series radeon with eyefinity - cause I love 3 monitors)

all of it was about 600ish

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
just go with the cheapest with everything except the card and you will be fine. Try getting a phenom quad core, those are pretty cheap now and most games will not use all of it. But keep in mind 600 dollars is not much to work with.
Found this
www.newegg.com...

I would recommend a 6970, latter your friend can xfire them, i have two of them crossfired underwater and nothing can slow them down.

And don't get Kingston ram, the other cheap brands are fine but do not go with Kingston.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
i despise these topics because kids today seem to have an obsession with video cards and the 'ULTIMATE GAMING RIG'. I just find it silly but, i guess i can understand the weird desire to play every game in full settings even though games keep getting more graphically intensive.

I play modern warfare 2 - casually (3rd prestige)

i have no video card, i run off the intels sandy bridge built in cpu graphics
the game looks fine to me..i honestly have no complaints..no obsession with a 300$ brick video card that will just make my case hot...

There's a bunch of new cpu's coming out in a few months (ivy bridge)
If you don't want to wait get a 2500k cpu, an asus mobo (p67)
whatever video card your heart desires
and finally GET AN SSD , worth the money (ocz brand)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
www.tigerdirect.com...

this pc looks ok for $750

but this one for $1000 look even better

www.tigerdirect.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I play all games at maxed settings at all times

edit on 30-1-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
THE POWER!
itproctology.blogspot.com...

10 cores! 30mb L1 cache!
mwuahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry. couldn't help myself.

Now.
Processor. core i7 hands down. core i5 if you can't afford an i7.
ram. as much as you can afford. 4G at min. 8G would be better.
HD. solid state for the OS. 7200 rpm sata or better for programs.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Hmm, 200 bucks to build a PC for a friend? Nice friend!
You do realise it's like 1 hours work to assemble at worst? Another hour or two for software...

Always trying to make the max profit...doesn't have to be 600 or under, but you know...if it comes up to 800, I will just tell him to go to best buy and good luck

and actually, it should take about a day (give or take) of work...from buying the parts, to assemble, software install/config, burning and testing, etc...

still, if I can make it for 700 or less, I will be happy.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

You prefer the intel over amd?

I learned (perhaps dated) that AMD > Intel in regards to value for the dollar

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I was being perhaps slightly facetious... all meant in fun though. Someone mentioned a CPU so I went off to google. Intel Core i7 sucks almost 300 watts alone! I hope Rossi comes out with that nuclear reactor thing soon.

Anyway, I built a few for myself over the years. Unfortunately you often don't "save" money that way as the high street retailers generally charge more than a large manufacturer. Obviously there is a lot more choice in case, fans, leds, water cooling and then there's the guy who built one with a working coffee-machine in the case..., I think my next one will be either second-hand or some generic box or maybe a bare-bones, with enough room to add a sound card. My last PC cost 2500 euros and I think I bought it in 2001. It had bells and whistles at the time... It's still the one I'm on now. That works out to around 250 dollars a year just to have it. At least they are now cheaper to buy although just between you and me I now suspect a conspiracy between the chip makers and the power companies...

How are they really getting faster if we are pumping 300 watts in there?
Depressing!

ETA S n F for your trouble and my wrong assumptions on your financial angle

edit on 30/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 Doh...in answer to your question I can't help you with where as I am not in the US but other members seem to have posted some nice looking things. I'm sitting here drooling anyway. Well, with my 10 year-old PC so would you be.

edit on 30/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

edit on 30/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by grey580

in life you learn a good lesson ,'cheap #, is cheap

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlord

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by grey580

in life you learn a good lesson ,'cheap #, is cheap

As a rule, yes..however, its not that AMD is cheap, is that intel has always been overpriced and underpowered...this is how it was anyhow as a rule..they got a great marketing machine, investing more in name recognition than their product.

So, life lesson 2. Don't fall for name alone.

new topics

top topics

join