It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are best ways to educate a skeptic?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
1. Provide info on some of the best cases. (Roswell, Rendlesham, The Hill Abduction, Shag Harbor, Battle of LA, Kinross, etc., etc.)

2. Consider those that were once part of the coverup, but then became UFOlogists (Hynek, Ruppelt, for example). At one point, these gentlemen were part of the effort to explain away the cases, but felt this was wrong.

3. Look at the government's own interest in it...Project Grudge, Sign, Bluebook, Condon Committee, etc.

Then, let them decide for themselves. In the end, that's all anyone can expect.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I believe other beings exist in the Cosmos it just makes sense to me
Yet all the UFO stuff I've seen and read does not convince me that UFOs including the ones I have witnessed are Alien in fact not one does. I have my own thoughts but am open to others also but so far all I have seen and heard indicates something other at play.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by artistpoet

I know brother, just wanted to add some input as my first post was left open to more interpretation that I intended it to.

Aint all posts like that especially my own methinks - But I get you

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"What are best ways to educate a skeptics?"
1. Build the case solely on FACTS and state opinions and emotions as such.

There is enough information or disinformation out there to speculate but nothing to confirm anything, so maybe another question to consider should be "What are best ways to educate a believer?"

If anything , I think a debate about aliens visiting us is no different than a debate about religion. In the end it comes to a gut feeling.

Although I would give you this, IMO I think it would be easier to prove Aliens exists over Religion.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
the best way to educate a skeptic? bring an alien girlfriend home for dinner and shake her by the tentacle

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuchullainuk777
the best way to educate a skeptic? bring an alien girlfriend home for dinner and shake her by the tentacle

Has she got a sister - I make great pasta - Candles - A little romantic music
Ah! The mind wanders corridors of it's own making

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

For me, I wouldn't want anyone to try and educate me as a "believer". I have witnessed events that I cannot explain so yes, I am a believer. I don't know how else to educate myself on untrustworthy claims. I know those also exist in abundance so folks, thanks for your concerns.

Maybe I shouldn't spend time trying to educate folks who don't believe. I just felt that since I know this person it would help trying to explain what I know. I just wanted to do it in a way that is organized and even if they still don't believe at least they would appreciate my effort and ability in trying to convey basic facts and assumptions.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Good skepticism can also be the balance, to not believe everything as it suppose to look only from one point of view....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The whole problem in the world is that people think others need to be "swayed" (boxed into agreement) with their own views. Why not just enjoy your views without having to convert others?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
"Stubborn skepticism" and "blind belief" are two sides of the same coin.

Blind believers and stubborn pseudo skeptics have much more in common with each other than they do with more reasonable skeptics and believers -- they are BOTH the kind of people whose beliefs (i.e., preconceived notions) are strong that NO amount of evidence can sway them.

The open-minded believer (a believer who is opens their minds to all possibilities regarding a sighting -- e.g., that it may be something mundane and/or man-made) has much more in common with the true skeptic than they do with the blind believer....

...And, similarly, the true skeptic (a skeptic who doesn't automatically discount the POSSIBILITY that an unexplained sighting could be otherworldly) has much more in common with the open-minded believer than they do the stubborn pseudo skeptic.

While some people would put believers in one group (blind believers and the more reasonable believers) and all skeptics in another group (stubborn pseudo-skeptics and true skeptics), I say that the true skeptics should be grouped with the reasonable believer (call it group 1), and the pseudo-skeptic should be grouped with the blind believer (call it group 2). It's all based on how open-minded one is: Group 1 is open-minded and Group 2 is not.

Blind believers are as close-minded as pseudo-skeptics.

In short, having preconceived notions that they stubbornly hold onto is a trait that happens on both sides of this debate -- there are stubborn skeptics as well as stubborn believers. Both sides need to be open-minded.

edit on 1/30/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

The problem with that is they have asked for more information so I have the option of providing or not providing information on what I know.

Again, I am trying to do this in an organized fashion. What would your suggestion be since I have chosen this path?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If one has a truth to share - Present that truth when the time is right - If another rejects your truth - Step back for to try to convince futher or press your truth would be to use indoctrination.
Many say prove it your truth - Yet such is the way that non can prove anything to another unless that other gains such proof through their own effort - And also consider you may be wrong or just see a part of the whole

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
All you gotta do is tell them the best cases in the field of ufology.

Betty/Barney Hill, Travis Walton. The show Ancient Aliens has a ton of good information. Sure they've also got some absolute crap, but most of the episodes have a lot of good stuff that really makes you wonder. Take the easiest one; the Great Pyramid.

www.outerworlds.com...

A bunch of slaves did not build this by carrying 10 ton blocks up ramps just to house the corpse of a Pharoah. There's more to it than that. Do some research on the subject, and look at other great constructions of our ancient civilizations.

Talk about the evolution of man. I do believe in evolution, to an extent. But the way man evolved so fast, from monkeys living in trees, to the Homo Sapiens Sapien, is just too much. Even science doesn't have an answer. They just mark it down to 'the missing link' and call it a day. It's because aliens have been doing genetic experiments on earthlings for thousands of years. Sometimes they decide to whipe us out and start it over again.

Talk about some of the outlandish stories from the religions of old.....and new. All the religions talk about 'Gods' and 'Angels' flying around in burning wheels and chariots. I think we can all agree that they weren't talking about 'God' in the context we think of him. They see people come from the skies in mighty ships and think it's a divine presence. They write it down. It gets translated. It gets retranslated. It gets manipulated. People add things to it. Then voila, we have Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Hinduism.

I could go on all day, but you have to look the things up for yourself, especially if you want to be knowledgable when you have to debate someone.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Two things I want to mention: First, you sound like a religious person trying to convert someone to your religion. Second, there's a difference between a skeptic and a denier.

Honestly, there is no proof to any of this alien business. So what you have is actually a belief. Your fellow humans might not draw the same conclusions you did when it comes to aliens and YouTube videos of UFOs.

Plus, why do you want them to be a believer so bad anyway?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterFister103
It's because aliens have been doing genetic experiments on earthlings for thousands of years. Sometimes they decide to whipe us out and start it over again.

Sounds like such detailed information you possess. Can you provide any significant evidence to back such claims?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Be honest. You have to include the bad with the good if you're going to be objective.

You have to acknowledge that although there are excellent cases, there are also frauds out there too.

I believe other beings exist in the Cosmos it just makes sense to me
Yet all the UFO stuff I've seen and read does not convince me that UFOs including the ones I have witnessed are Alien in fact not one does. I have my own thoughts but am open to others also but so far all I have seen and heard indicates something other at play.

Believing in the existence of alien beings, and believing they are coming here, are two very different things.
Sheer statistics dictate that we are likely not alone....yet the vast distances in space make it seem impossible that others could get here, even from the CLOSEST star, within a lifetime.

Interstellar travel basically requires there to be some kind of way around the light speed barrier we believe exists, and for many, that's simply a BIG leap they aren't ready to make yet.

Still, all you can do is look at the evidence, both good and bad, and see where the scales end up for you. For me, they are tipped towards visitation, but your mileage may vary.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by believingskeptic

Originally posted by MisterFister103
It's because aliens have been doing genetic experiments on earthlings for thousands of years. Sometimes they decide to whipe us out and start it over again.

Sounds like such detailed information you possess. Can you provide any significant evidence to back such claims?

My god dude, for real? How could I possibly 'prove' that to you? Am I supposed to find the alien that decided this originally and bring him to your doorstep? No, I have no 'proof', only the written word of man in religious texts where beings from the sky decided to destroy a good portion of mankind, for whatever reason, and the knowledge that some of these events did actually happen. There have been instances where a ton of people died on this planet, and like with the flood, the human accounts from that age talk about it being caused by 'Gods'. There is no magical man in the sky, only misunderstood technology that is possessed by aliens.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by believingskeptic

First of all let me say that I have witnessed weird events that I am unable to explain so while I don't have proof of aliens I have witnessed UFOs. I feel I can present my case to this individual the best way possible and cite other cases. I am not trying to convert anyone just present the facts and let them make a judgement based on my story.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have beliefs I have no hard proof of and if I did - that proof could be disputed by others.
Sometimes we intuitively feel things that we later get confirmation of - Sometimes we fool ourselves - I know I have done and am glad when am aware of it. Some beliefs grow in strength whilst others diminish through more knowledge.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I do believe there is something non-native in our airspace but I am skeptical of some of the wild corollaries

Perhaps first banish the mystics then endeavour to convince the skeptics

For example I am relatively new here but it seems like good threads become invaded by mystics with paragraph after paragraph of pure craziness then they pick fights over trivial things and the debate fizzles out

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join