It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Argument Against God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Just a quick question, I was pondering apon today.

Time flys when you're having fun, and can seem to almost halt when you're not. As we all have experienced this, there is definitely something to it. I thought this God was benevolent and serious, not a practical joker.

Question is.

If God exists, why would he be so cruel as to speed up the perception of time in our best circumstances, and prolong our sense of time in our worse happenstance?

I suppose, that this is an argument against God. Why would God prolong our suffering and shorten our vivacity?

I've heard the saying, "sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind." But how far can you take it before it becomes frivolous torture?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
You obviously haven't taken a psychology class.

The mind, when under duress or otherwise unpreoccupied and anxious, will continually obsess itself with "then end". In other words, it will keep track of how long you must endure, so as to retain sanity and focus.

When you are having fun, your mind releases chemicals that dull such concerns, much as a drug will dull your senses.

It has nothing to do with God. It has to do with your focus. Stop paying attention to how boring life is and make it exciting. That should solve your problems.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
God created us , so it must be God .

Either way , I don't believe in God and I would say to avoid any argument with religious guys because they won't listen.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

If you rely on outside entertainment for " fun " and when you're not engaging in these activities you don't, then you need to go inside yourself ask what am I distracting myself from?
Meditate on that note
Peace

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is a good comment against god. However, if that is the only thing that is making you question god, you should search up "the powerhouse athiest" on YouTube. He will have you non-believing in no time!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
You obviously haven't taken a psychology class.

The mind, when under duress or otherwise unpreoccupied and anxious, will continually obsess itself with "then end". In other words, it will keep track of how long you must endure, so as to retain sanity and focus.

When you are having fun, your mind releases chemicals that dull such concerns, much as a drug will dull your senses.

It has nothing to do with God. It has to do with your focus. Stop paying attention to how boring life is and make it exciting. That should solve your problems.

Exactly, and if God created us and that very chemical, what is the purpose? Sounds like he didn't want us to have fun for too long. Or at least experience time to the fullest.

I thought you were smarter than that...

Aaaannnnd that's jenga.
edit on 30-1-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This doesn't seem to be an argument against god as much as it looks like your frustrated because of a lack of understanding in your mind. It seems you wonder why good times go by faster than bad, you don't see the reason so in effect you don't see god? I'm just trying to understand where you are really coming from.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

No, I have a vast understanding of many things. It's you who is failing to see my point. To understand what I have said, you need to deepen your own understanding and knowledge.

Please state your own opinion, even constructive criticism. But don't reply if you can't comprehend the question.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
reply to post by Ralphy

No, I have a vast understanding of many things. It's you who is failing to see my point. To understand what I have said, you need to deepen your own understanding and knowledge.

Please state your own opinion, even constructive criticism. But don't reply if you can't comprehend the question.

I wasn't saying you were stupid and didn't have knowledge, I did not intend to offend you. I was stating that it seems like you are denying god based on lack of a good reason for your statement about when your having fun time goes by fast and when your suffering time goes by slow. You don't' know why that is the way it is, it doesn't mean your stupid. If you saw a good reason for a good time going by fast would it be in favor of proving god in your view?

For lack of a good reason seems to be why you are against god from the way I see it. I'm stating my perspective, not a fact. I'm just trying to give you another perspective on how others might see your question based on the information you gave.

edit on 30-1-2012 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Ok.

Yes, it would maybe make more sense to me if time seemed to last longer while having fun for instance.

God apparently made everything the way it is right?

So would it not make sense for the perception of time to be the opposite of what we percieve??

Why is it the way it currently is? If God made it this way, is it simply a punishment?

Why would God make it such a way?

Sorry for the previous rant, by the way.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
While this is the first time I heard this unique argument, it's part of the grander argument that so many things aren't the way a God would make them.

Violence and Suffering in nature.
Giving us an Immune system, only to give us Aids.
Making only .00000000000001% of his universe a place where we can actually live.
Natural Disasters.
Ect, there are hundreds.

~
The Fall
The Flood
The Wage of Sin
Free Will

Once you're passed all the stock answers, the only one I can think of is "The more people suffer, the easier it is for them to be desperate, I mean, draw close to god."

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
While this is the first time I heard this unique argument, it's part of the grander argument that so many things aren't the way a God would make them.

Violence and Suffering in nature.
Giving us an Immune system, only to give us Aids.
Making only .00000000000001% of his universe a place where we can actually live.
Natural Disasters.
Ect, there are hundreds.

~
The Fall
The Flood
The Wage of Sin
Free Will

Once you're passed all the stock answers, the only one I can think of is "The more people suffer, the easier it is for them to be desperate, I mean, draw close to god."

So basically you're saying God is just a comfort blanket for the weak minded, who can't find strength within themselves?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Just a quick question, I was pondering apon today.

Time flys when you're having fun, and can seem to almost halt when you're not. As we all have experienced this, there is definitely something to it. I thought this God was benevolent and serious, not a practical joker.

Question is.

If God exists, why would he be so cruel as to speed up the perception of time in our best circumstances, and prolong our sense of time in our worse happenstance?

I suppose, that this is an argument against God. Why would God prolong our suffering and shorten our vivacity?

I've heard the saying, "sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind." But how far can you take it before it becomes frivolous torture?

Either God is controlling your perceptions and thus your perception of Him to unbelief OR your perceptions are unrelated to His mechanical control and you are completely misunderstood in your premises based on an illogical rationalization making yourself less than autonomous.

Don't harden your heart to God because of something so menial as the perception of time because of your desire to increase pleasure and decrease pain.

Suffering teaches obedience and whom the Father loves He chastens so count it all joy when you find yourself in diverse temptations knowing that our time here is short and our suffering is but a blink of an eye. If you have faith, soon enough we will be with Him again where there are no tears and no suffering..

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff

"Suffering teaches obedience."

Good people don't need obedience, dog's do.

Why would I want to join him, and get belittled by him in every aspect?

I won't bow to a master, that makes me no better than a domesticated pet. You shouldn't have to either.

Wake up! Where is your pride?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

So basically you're saying God is just a comfort blanket for the weak minded, who can't find strength within themselves?

No, I'm saying I've heard some Christians use the argument that it's justified for god to cause/allow suffering under the premise that it draws people towards him. Showing himself, and being known, so people can acknowledge and come close to him is absurd, while making them suffer so they believe and follow out of desperation is reasonable.

I'm saying that's a genuine argument people use.

It is "a comfort blanket for the weak minded, who can't find strength within themselves" in some cases. Ultimately though, I wouldn't claim that that's what all theistic beliefs amount to. Most often, it's simply being misinformed, or otherwise subscribing to idealism.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

"Suffering teaches obedience."

Good people don't need obedience, dog's do.

Why would I want to join him, and get belittled by him in every aspect?

I won't bow to a master, that makes me no better than a domesticated pet. You shouldn't have to either.

Wake up! Where is your pride?

"Pride" is a vice, not a virtue. I left it at the door when I let Jesus in. I'm no more inherently powerful than any other who would exercise their power over me. I'm free because God made me free, not because man says I am. My boast is in God and what He has done for me, namely, giving me His Son to die for my sins so that I don't have to struggle to control this world and the people in it.

While as far as "good people" are concerned, without God to make "goodness" objective there is no good; only relativism which makes no philosophical or logical sense. To say someone is good means that they obey Him who has established such. For one to say people are good without God, without an established benchmark for judging what is good, one is only blowing meaningless hot air.

Honestly, I would gladly eat from the crumbs of the Master's table as opposed to eternity without Him. Even still, He has offered you and I much more than crumbs. In this life it is inevitable that we will serve some master and there are no two ways about it whether it be we serve ourselves, an idol, money, or God. The difference is that servitude to all but one leads to death. Only one Master promises eternal life without fear, pain, or tear and all He wants is for us to Love Him, and Love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Our servitude is freedom, not bondage unto death.

edit on 1-2-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

But eternal bondage after death, forever and ever Amen.

You can serve your master if it pleases you. But I will go my own way. I'll shake God's hand as his equal, not as his subject.

Sometimes we have to stand for what is right. Were we truely free before the serpent opened our eyes to other possibilities? One being equality.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

But eternal bondage after death, forever and ever Amen.

You can serve your master if it pleases you. But I will go my own way. I'll shake God's hand as his equal, not as his subject.

Sometimes we have to stand for what is right. Were we truely free before the serpent opened our eyes to other possibilities? One being equality.

You speak of right and wrong as if it too is relative when both necessarily hinge upon God's will.
It is only "right" that creation submit to its creator, for the sevant to submit to the master who not only has power to kill the body but also the soul.

Satan was a liar from the beginning. We were not made like God for taking the fruit but rather like Satan himself in disobedience and it cost us our lives. We were made to know death and sin through knowledge of good and evil, not equality. Where were we when God created the heavens, or separated the waters from dry land? We have no power over death while our Father orders life among the dead. How is it that we could be His equal when we are in bondage to something (death) that God not only orders but also from which has set us free?

Lying to ourselves is possibly the most dangerous thing we can do in this life. And never transcending emotionality is a life lived in constant turmoil. We are better than this and meant to live above the pettiness. We've been offered freedom from the bondage that kills our spirits in this life and soul in the next.

We must shake that spirit of anti-christ and become free mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally.

Nevertheless, the decision is yours but know that creating a god that serves us is part of that illogical philosophy of Relativitism. If God exists then He exists independent of us, not we of Him. If He loves us then He has made that love known to us, and He has made His love known to us.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join