It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Up To Its Old Tricks In Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
France has resumed an old game that it has played in Canada since 1759 when a sickly little English bastard named Major General James P. Wolfe kicked their butts out of this country.

That game involves trying to destablize Canada and by whatever means possible pry Quebec loose from the Canadian Federation.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

According to a story in the National Post, France has carved the world into 11 electoral districts. One seat up for grabs is "North America," which includes Canada and the United States, home to about 200,000 French nationals. So, in essence, Balkany is running to represent "North America" in France's national assembly.

At first glance this seems like a harmless comedy, but this kind of presence for France in North America will without doubt be a cover for political sabotage.

Most Canadians of a certain age will remember DeGaulle's abortive visit and greeting to the people of Quebec, "Vivre le Québèc libre!" (Long live free Quebec!) After which he was asked to leave the country.

What most people don't realize is that this game of destabilization has gone on for a very long period of time. It is dealt with in Bosher, John Francis. The Gaullist attack on Canada 1967-1997. Montreal : McGill-Queen's University Press, 1999.

In some cases activities of agents of French intelligence have been aprehended only by the expert perceptive vigilence of protective and loyal French Canadians, who consider this country, particularly Quebec to be their turf and no concern of a country that many believe betrayed them during colonial times and has ridiculed and demeaned them for generations and has only in recent times been forced to acknowledge that Quebec has a vibrant culture and doesn't need "Maman France" to assert itself on any stage, French or English.

Wikipedia tells us that after a period of hostility Canada/France relations are now back to normal. They may have to rewrite this article if this new development bears the kind of acrimonious fruit that I think it will.

en.wikipedia.org...

De Gaulle's resignation in 1969, and more importantly the 1970 election of the Liberals in Quebec under Robert Bourassa gave impetus to the calls on both sides for normalization of France-Canada relations. While the ultra-Gaullists and the remaining members of the 'Quebec Mafia' continue to occasionally cause headaches for Canada - such as a 1997 initiative by 'Mafia' members to have the French Post Office issue a stamp commemorating de Gaulle's 1967 visit to Montreal - never again would relations reach anything close to the hostility of the late 1960s.

The Gaullist policy of 'dualism' towards Canada, which called for distinct and separate relations between France and Canada and France and Quebec, has been replaced with a purposely ambiguous policy of non-ingérance, mais non-indifférence (no interference, but no indifference). While the French government continues to maintain cultural and diplomatic ties with Quebec, it is generally careful to treat the Canadian federal government with a great deal of respect.[/e]
edit on 30-1-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Montreal should become its own country, than they would know how much they really rely on Canada.....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I for one, am sick to death of the francophones in Canada whining and griping about their state of affairs. If I could vote, I would vote for them to become independent. Then charge them a heavy tariff on any goods entering or leaving their country. If you don't like Canada and the fact that you have a whole province (not to mention every gov't building) with your own language than leave. Either to France or through independence.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Couldn't have said it better! They have been talking about seperating for years! Let them leave and we'll see who benefits most from it.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well if they were a separate country and absolutely refused to join the North American union, disclosed everything there was to know, pulled out free energy and became a beacon of goodness, I'd move there.

I keep waiting for some of the nations or separatists to be about this and do just that. And then say, the door is open for like minded people.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
We live in a country of "two solitudes" and it is really a shame. English Canadians have no conception of what is going on in the minds of French Canadians and would be shocked to realize how similar they are to people from Quebec and how different both of them are from people in either France or England.

There is very little complaint in Quebec about how Quebec is treated in the Canadian Federation. English is embraced more and more in Quebec as a cultural and economic priority. The reality of its importance is accepted by virtually everyone and disagreements about it stem from what is deemed to be the best way of introducing it into the education system so that it doesn't lead to the extinction of the French language outside of family and social situations.

This is a problem best left to the people of Quebec to solve. People outside of Quebec should of course be vigilant of the integrity of the federation, but should wake up to reality and become aware that the biggest threats to this country come from places, like France, not normally seen as a threat.

It suits a lot of interests to have Canadians, French and English, annoyed with one another.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
From the Article:
"The National Post notes that France responded this month by saying it would go ahead with the election. It plans to place ballot boxes in its embassy and French consulates in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City and Moncton, which, technically, are sovereign territory of France."

This is very hard for me too get my head around,,Moncton, which, technically, are sovereign territory of France,,

Having been Born in Moncton,,Batherst, actually,,i'm both a natural born Canadian Citizen,, as well as French CitizenShip,,?

So technically i am Entitled too both French and Canadian citizenship,, so i have dual citizenship?

seriously??

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
well now that the bloc separatist party has what 3 seats? 2? less than 5 anyways i doubt french seperation is a big issue anymore. sure it could come back in popularity but i dont think seperation will have 49.5% support as it did a decade or 2 ago. i think quebers are maturing as a part of canada and the youth of the province are not seperatists as their elders have been and will slowly dwindle in numbers

without them we would become almost as right wing as america tho
hopefully we can pull together and vote out the plastic man ruling over the "harper government"

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

that does seem confusing, i dont think theres all that many french nationalists in half of those cities mentioned
didnt the original article also say in american cities? questionable...
gotta admire the looniness of those french anyways. i dont know why they would be trying to destabilize Canada or america at this sort of time... maybe they just want a little representation

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
A lot of the hostility in English Canada to the perceived outrageous demands of Quebec are actually the harvested fruit of seeds sown by intelligence agents and provocateurs taking direction from France. France has a track record in Canada of fomenting trouble. Canadians should not fall for their ploys.

Can you think of anyone who would like to see Canada balkanized? I can.

Any part of Canada that thinks they would be better off outside the Canadian federation is dreaming in technicolour.

As time goes on, Canadians will have to get smarter and smarter about who their friends and who their potential enemies are and how to deal wisely with them both. As somebody once so eloquently put it, "We can hang together or we can hang separately."

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As a general rule of thumb the French despise Britain, or maybe more specifically England, and anything relating to it.

As such they have constantly tried to stir up trouble in Canada and between Scotland and England.
They view any break up or weakening of the Canadian Federation or The British Union as a victory and a lessening of English / British prestige.

They have little regard for the actual people involved and view it as a game of oneupmanship.
To be honest they seem locked in the same colonial mindset that dictated foreign policy in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

And as usual as soon as the going gets tough the surrender monkeys run away with their tails between ther legs and leave the Canadians and Scots to deal with the aftermath.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

This is exactly it and the people in Canada who are most intimately familiar with the paradigm, fortunately, are French Canadians themselves, who know the whole story chapter and verse.

The problem is that provocateurs can always find someone to use as a tool.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
France can have Quebec no questions ask! They think they are better than everyone else in Canada and they have been wanting to separate for years. Now is the time!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matt93
France can have Quebec no questions ask! They think they are better than everyone else in Canada and they have been wanting to separate for years. Now is the time!

Are you on the payroll at the French embassy?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I'm tired of the french too, grew up 8kms Ontario side of the quebec border and watched the Gaelic go the way of the dinosaur. When I moved away from there, it was because the English were treated as second-class citizens, They want to preserve a culture? Why not the Native culture, we stole their land from them. Quebecers can all fly home to France and leave the land to those it belongs to. Technically speaking, the francophones in Canada own montreal... that's about it!

~edit note~ and since when can a party only running in one province get to be elected to the house like that? The BLOC should have no such privilege.. and BTW, if they did seperate, how many government offices would have to be relocated? EVERYTHING basically goes through Shawinnegan (sp)
edit on 30-1-2012 by Invariance because: see edit note

edit on 30-1-2012 by Invariance because: derp

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I for one am sick of Quebecs nonsense. I had the misfortune of working in Montreal for five weeks. It was the worst five weeks of my life.
The ignorance.. oh the ignorance. And the anti Canadian isms.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

The subtle technicalities within the Crown Govt. Corp.called Canada is quite amusing to people that have had a look at it ..Canada is a Crown Corporation . Its just hard to understand the double speak they use called legalize ,that all ..peace

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I have worked in Montreal many,many times and cant say I have had a bad experiance other than the detours ..I do find they drive a little bit on the crazy side though ...peace

edit on 30-1-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

From the Article:
"The National Post notes that France responded this month by saying it would go ahead with the election. It plans to place ballot boxes in its embassy and French consulates in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City and Moncton, which, technically, are sovereign territory of France."

This is very hard for me too get my head around,,Moncton, which, technically, are sovereign territory of France,,

Having been Born in Moncton,,Batherst, actually,,i'm both a natural born Canadian Citizen,, as well as French CitizenShip,,?

So technically i am Entitled too both French and Canadian citizenship,, so i have dual citizenship?

seriously??

No, the embassies and consulates are considered french soil. It is the same with any country, nomatter where they are in the world.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I for one, am sick to death of the francophones in Canada whining and griping about their state offices affairs. If I could vote, I would vote for them to become independent. Then charge them a heavy tariff on any goods entering or leaving their country. If you don't like Canada and the fact that you have a whole province (not to mention every gov't building) with your own language than leave. Either to France or through independence.

We have a large community on the outskirts of the city I'm in that is made up of mostly francofunnies. Anyhow this one couple went to the grocery store there and were served by a cashier who spoke only English. They wrote the local paper, contacted the mayor and even the store manager demanding that the employee be fired for not serving them in their mother tongue, even though they were bilingual and spoke perfect English. It is not a requirement for private sector employees to be bilingual in Ontario. Lol. Like seriously. I work in that community from time to time. I speak only english. You wouldn't believe the kind of hatred I receive from my customers. Idiots.
Basically the area where I'm from is the largest french speaking population in Canada that is outside of Quebec.

Its like mini Quebec. Same mentality. Same whining and griping over stupid issues. Oh and redneck style trucks with millions of stickers on them are everywhere.

edit on 12/1/30 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join