It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria has 15 days to comply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The Cable has obtained a copy of the draft resolution on Syria currently being discussed inside the U.N. Security Council. It calls on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to hand over power to his deputy and says additional measures would be taken if he doesn't comply within 15 days.

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

"Additional measures", very well could either more sanctions or a large UN envoy to the region..
With Russian ship(s) docked at their small port base in Syria, I cannot see military intervention happening anytime soon.

Very confusing situation over there. Reports of the Iranian Guard stirring up havoc by shooting random civilians, some blaming the U.S for this. Army defectors also have been in the media as playing both sides and the Syrian army as well.

Lots of people are saying the UN should stay out of it, but we're talking about a thousand people a month dying... Something should be done. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I would be more excited if the UN were telling Saudi Arabia to end its monarchy and to begin elections.

But that aint gonna happen either.

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

oh good an other UN debacle, do you not remember IFOR? just a way for the US to get in there, NATO will be in the mix but will the US be the one leading the way? if so one more stepping stone to IRAN

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Not too many people seem to care at the moment. I tried earlier with little success.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

IMO. Syria will escalate soon after another round artillery barraging today more civilians continue to parish. I would think that Syria and the ousting of Assad is the last piece of the puzzle in that general area. Just look at Libya, the mess in Egypt and the chaos that will now fill the voids in Iraq. The radical Islamic element is soon filling the voids and we helped. The very element that we were fighting.

Obama is redirecting efforts to Central and Coastal Africa. (Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda and Somalia)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

I would be more excited if the UN were telling Saudi Arabia to end its monarchy and to begin elections.

But that aint gonna happen either.

Cosmic..

The Saudi's are to used to calling the shots. They are the driving force in the Arab League.

Saudi Arabia said yesterday it was withdrawing its observers from Syria after an Arab monitoring mission failed to end 10 months of bloodshed, and called on the international community to exert “all possible pressure” on Damascus. Hundreds of Syrians have been killed since the observers began their work in late December and political opponents of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad are demanding the Arab League refer the crisis to the United Nations Security Council.

Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby recommended to Arab foreign ministers yesterday that a monitoring mission to Syria be extended, expanded and get more technical support. The Saudi comments suggest, however, that the extension of a mission Syria’s opposition has described as toothless will not be enough to satisfy everyone in the 22-member body and exposed a growing rift over the best way to approach the crisis that has shown little sign of easing after months of political pressure.

new.kuwaittimes.net...

It's one hell of a chess match right now.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

News on BBC's Red Button Service (Interactive news via TV) over the last 24 hours;

"The US has called on countries to decide where they stand on what it calls the Syrian regime's brutality. Activists say 95 people were killed across Syria on monday in cities including Damascus and Homs.
The White House said President Bashar al-Assad had lost control of Syria, adding "he will go".
Russia has said it will block a UN resolution calling for Mr Assad to hand power to a deputy who would then form a government of national unity."

Also:

"Western countries are preparing to push for a tough resolution at a UN Security Council meeting in Syria. Arab League Secretery General Nabil al-Aribi will be asking the Council to back the League's new plan calling on President Bashar al-Assad to resign.
Western foreign ministers who back the Arab plan will try to overcome Russia's threat to veto any such resolution. A Syrian Foreign Ministry official said Syria would 'defeat the policies of chaos', state news agency Sana said."

I'm undecided on Syria. Obviously things must be happening, but how much were they motivated by western influence? Too much propaganda is being churned out to figure fact from fiction (death toll, at least). I can remember Putin accusing Hilary Clinton of being involved in Russian protests (and I have to say he's probably right somewhere down the rabbit hole), and ****s been going on for long enough us to predict the outcome of this from the first day we heard of it, much like many did with Lybia.

edit on 31-1-2012 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: formatting fail

edit on 31-1-2012 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

top topics

join