It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We've had enough, it's time to raise your own kids, teachers say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
news.com.au

PARENTS are shirking the responsibility of disciplining their kids, turning teachers into makeshift mums and dads.

A major Herald Sun survey of Victorian teachers found three-quarters believe parents have unreasonable expectations about the school's role in raising kids.

And the stresses are showing, with nearly half of teachers surveyed admitting they had considered resigning over the past 12 months.

Educators say parents have become too fixated on being "friends" with their children, and are increasingly neglecting their duty to enforce boundaries.

Victorian Principals Association president Gabrielle Leigh believes students are increasingly likely to be sent to school without adequate discipline from home.

"It's well beyond the duty of a teacher, but they can't ignore it," Ms Leigh said.

Is this wrong to say that parents need to step up and take charge in raising the children once again?
I say no it's not and tend to agree with what they are saying. But, I also understand why in some cases they have gotten away from some forms of discipline out of fear of being labeled an abuser.
Although I don't think trying to be friends with your kids is a bad thing...but there has to be boundaries.

Read more: www.news.com.au...
edit on 30-1-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have yet to meet a home schooled idiot.
The entire Dept. of Education needs an overhaul, or to be done away with. The parents are a fractal of the whole, to blame only them is like blaming an apple for landing on the ground when the tree it was in was chopped down.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I say if the teachers are wanting to see change then this is what I suggest. As far as I am concerned this problem will never be solved as long as the DOE is in existence. Why don't these teachers that actually care, and the parents that actually care band together and start attacking the problem right at the source. The problem is double sided, it is partially the teachers fault and partially the parents fault, for what ever reason. However, the DOE is the sole entity that is responsible for the manifestation of the current problems. The teachers need to voice their opinion to the parents and the parents act on it and the parents need to voice their opinion and the teachers act on it.

The teachers need to start going against the grain and teaching the things that matter and the parents need to back them, and vice versa. Together, I feel the DOE can be shut down. Especially if people stop recognizing their existence.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Agreed..when you look at the amount of time our kids spend in school there is no way they ,(teachers)can shy away from the responsability for a big part of their developement .
Things are definitely out of whack when parents are fearful of enforcing some form of sensible discipline. What's that going to do to thier future when they have no fear or respect at all?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
lol what did you expect , schools have become nothing more then day care for kids , while mommy and daddy get a break from them lol.

teachers had enough now ? , this must've been bottled up for a while. Because i could've saw this coming long time ago

poor teachers , i feel your pain , but parents don't really have the tools , nor the dedication , not all of them , but most , to deal with these little rugrats

Yes , of course they need to be taught at home ! how to behave , have manners , treat others with respect , do their homework , eat properly , excersize , and be good human beings.

but most parents don't even have those qualities let alone to pass it to their children .

Not all their fault , hard economic times , extra jobs , less time at home are also a big factor.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

No, you are 100% correct in saying that parents need to step up. It is the reason i left teaching - i wanted to teach rather than administer to the pastoral care of my pupils, Frankly, that is the parents job. I also got sick of parents marching and making threats because somebody had dared to discipline their "little angel" (read as total scrote).

I have witnessed on several occasions school secretaries being punched by angry parents because they had the "cheek" to call them asking to attend a meeting at school to discuss their off springs discipline.

If 2 kids were fighting, you could not lay hands on them. You had to get in the middle and if you got hit in the cross fire, so be it - your fault for being a teacher. I could go on but the point is parents need to stand up. Their job is not to be friends with their children - it is to raise them to have respect for others and to get on in the world. God help us in 20 years when this lot are running things after having had a lifetime of getting everything the easy way.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I have yet to meet a home schooled idiot.
The entire Dept. of Education needs an overhaul, or to be done away with. The parents are a fractal of the whole, to blame only them is like blaming an apple for landing on the ground when the tree it was in was chopped down.

I have yet to meet someone who is home schooled and see that they learned everything I did.

Teachers sign contracts that force them to keep their work strictly unbiased. Parents can bias their education all they want.

So, it's pretty much a game of how much you can remember from school while at the same time teaching your child only what you want them to know. Any parent who pretends to be able to school their child sufficiently is pretending to know every dang thing in every book.

They may as well get a job as a professor, get soem money, and send their kid to a respectable boarding school.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

I would also like to add, there are quite a few parents out there that truly do care. But the system has beat them down and has left them feeling hopeless as to what they can and can't do as parents. I have seen over the years where the schools do indeed try to exert whatever authority they think they may have onto the parents. The parents need to break this off instantly, school officials have NO AUTHORITY over the parents, despite whatever they may try to get the parents to believe.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
UH, NO we're not embracing the NWO fundamental Islamic and Judiac beat the kid, NAZI state. Not Now, Not Ever.

And you guys seem to have a worse school system than Canada, perhaps there needs to be better education for students and educators.

I just finished reading online about a 6 year old having sexual misconduct put on his record for coming in contact with another kid during tag, but it only lasted until the father got a lawyer.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

So it isn't the kids.

Its an agenda, called NWO and unlike normal Teachers who are willing to protest and stand up to the Government, like we have, yours cave in and become tools of it.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

The problem with today's teachers is they all think every child should be on Ritalin because the standard of a proper decent education has left many schools. Kids are getting bored because teachers are not stimulating their student's thought processes. Kids need to think for themselves, not told how to think. Half of the teachers are doing such a crappy job while the other half well deserve a pay rise. Teachers training colleges now need to set the standards alot higher and get back to basics.

The amount of homework kids are getting these days is appauling due to lack of proper teaching skills.

As for the parents, it's a cross between so many who are from non-English speaking backgrounds v both parents having to work long hours due to the high cost of living in this country v parents who just don't give a crap.

The whole system stinks.

edit on 30-1-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Sorry, but public education is a joke.

Teachers are now glorified baby sitters.

Yes it's a parent's job to raise their children and assist in their education, give them a good foundation. But if I'm going to give the government my hard earned tax dollars to facilitate education, they better do it correctly and hold their own system accountable if it's not working.

Behavioral issues, total parental responsibility, no reason your kid should act out in school if he's well behaved at home.

However, from a learning standpoint, it's the school's job to educate. It's what they are mandated to do, it's what my tax dollars pay for. If they aren't doing it, then fire them, or find a better way of doing it.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I can honestly say that is totally not the case in the UK. The amount of children on Ritalin or similar is absolutely tiny in schools.

Please do not take this the wrong way but it seems to be an American thing in prescribing Ritalin or similar if your child is acting up.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
it's just another symptom of society in decline. the government has declared that just about any form of discipline can be construed as abuse, what did they expect would come of this?

don't get me wrong i find true abuse to be a repulsive as the next person but what the law has done is to dilute common sense with the law. just look around you, if it's not illegal it soon will be, just give them time.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Ritalin is taken in vast numbers now in Australian schools.......

especially the Jewish schools (who would think?)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Unfortunately it isn't that simple. The whole system has become a joke. There is a desire for ever rising standards - obviously this is laudable but it isn't totally practical. The only way it can be acheived with such rigorous targets is not to teach the subject, rather it is to teach how to pass the exam in that subject. The result being that youngsters these days are getting better and better exam results whilst at the same time having a far worse grasp of the subject than students from 20-30 years ago (and longer). This is fact - i saw it year on year and friends still in the profession say it is getting worse every year. I will also add that this isn't solely limited to the UK but rather western society in general.

For schools to be truly effective, you would need also need to address the discipline issue. The simple fact is that teachers are scared to discipline children because of some of the laws that have been introduced and because any action leaves you open to suspension and being sued. Until this is addressed, nothing will change.

Sorry for the rant but this is something that has directly affected me for years and just plain winds me up!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
AGENDA!!!!! PROOF!!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

AND NOT ON MY WATCH. This ignormania low level -50 IQ crap is over, on every level including on the Governments. We are moving forward from 1970's high level of service and enlightenment standards. When things were progressing. Does anyone remember, because I sure do?

MP's have said in the media this week that the UK riots where caused by the lack of physical discipline, not the lack of jobs, education and a decent family lifestyle.

See a pattern? Its there!!!!!!

Some kind of low IQ, lets go back to the primitive authorative days.

You can tell who is who when a thread like this is started and you read the posts.

I suggest you join with the people and progression and stop selling out, because the tiny box you are in, is your next step after earth school. Don't try to shove others in it with you.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Sorry, been a long long day........ could you explain your point please? I have totally missed it. Not trying to be rude, just after a bit of clarification if possible please?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
AGENDA!!!!! PROOF!!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

AND NOT ON MY WATCH. This ignormania low level -50 IQ crap is over, on every level including on the Governments. We are moving forward from 1970's high level of service and enlightenment standards. When things were progressing. Does anyone remember, because I sure do?

MP's have said in the media this week that the UK riots where caused by the lack of physical discipline, not the lack of jobs, education and a decent family lifestyle.

See a pattern? Its there!!!!!!

Some kind of low IQ, lets go back to the primitive authorative days.

You can tell who is who when a thread like this is started and you read the posts.

I suggest you join with the people and progression and stop selling out, because the tiny box you are in, is your next step after earth school. Don't try to shove others in it with you.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

well said...how much damage has to be done before we realize that discipline works. The gov. has over stepped their boundaries and the kids as well as the future of this world is at stake!! Nice...
Let them continue to tell us how to raise our kids and we are screwed..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
UH, NO we're not embracing the NWO fundamental Islamic and Judiac beat the kid, NAZI state. Not Now, Not Ever.

And you guys seem to have a worse school system than Canada, perhaps there needs to be better education for students and educators.

I just finished reading online about a 6 year old having sexual misconduct put on his record for coming in contact with another kid during tag, but it only lasted until the father got a lawyer.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

So it isn't the kids.

Its an agenda, called NWO and unlike normal Teachers who are willing to protest and stand up to the Government, like we have, yours cave in and become tools of it.

NWO in our schools...why didn't I think of that? The janitor wears a triangle on his jacket, he HAS to be Illuminati!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

For schools to be truly effective, you would need also need to address the discipline issue. The simple fact is that teachers are scared to discipline children because of some of the laws that have been introduced and because any action leaves you open to suspension and being sued. Until this is addressed, nothing will change. Sorry for the rant but this is something that has directly affected me for years and just plain winds me up!

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but the problem is more complicated than that in my neck of the woods, anyway. Our city probably has one of the worst school systems in our state. The kids are out of control in the classrooms and the district and the state have largely curtailed the teachers' ability to inject their own creativity into classroom instruction. Everything is centered around standardized tests and making sure the students pass them so that any given school will receive continued funds.

It has been my observation that teachers here are beginning to throw their hands up in frustration and give up. Most assuredly, a child with behavioral issues is alleged to have ADHD and they have to be treated differently due to this diagnosis. Many teachers I encounter these days don't have the balls to demand respect from their students, and conversely, the parents are too lazy to take responsibility and do nothing but blame their kids' problems on poor teaching in the classroom. It's a vicious circle. All I know is that school these days is a far cry from what it was when I was young. Book reports, class projects, oral reports are quickly becoming a thing of the past. What a disaster.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join