It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prices of Ammunition seem to be getting more expensive...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I probably shouldn't write this but it is concerning me... The other day I took a cute gurl out shooting... but the price of ammo ASTOUNDED ME! Around $31 for 60 rounds of 7.62 for my SKS - and I had to buy it at a second gun store because the normal place I buy it right off the road that leads to the mountains was "out" of 7.62*39. And then the 25 rounds of 12 guage was decently priced at like 16.50 I believe. But ammo for my .40 cal pistol cost $40 or 50 dollars for 50 rounds!!! WTF?!?! I mean trying to find 30-40 rounds for my model 1898 Sprignfield Krag (The only bolt action side fed weapon ever used by the US army during 1898 Spanish- American War) used to be nearly impossible and the ammo (when I found it) cost about 1$ per round. But for .40 cal ammo as well? WTF?! When I told my mom this she told me my Grandpa said the same thing... I hope my Gpa can reload 7.62 rounds now besides the other ammo he does for as a hobby. Glad they live in the same neighborhood as me because their house will be our families bunker - HOT GURLS MAY APPLY FOR SPOUSEL POSITIONS IN NEAR FUTURE - Anyways it seems like ammo is been really really spiking up... =( *gulp*

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
If you're paying forty to fifty dollars for .40 S&W....I've got a bridge to sell you.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
But WHY?? I mean I know why but I don't want to mention it...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
I probably shouldn't write this but it is concerning me... The other day I took a cute gurl out shooting... but the price of ammo ASTOUNDED ME! Around $31 for 60 rounds of 7.62 for my SKS - and I had to buy it at a second gun store because the normal place I buy it right off the road that leads to the mountains was "out" of 7.62*39. And then the 25 rounds of 12 guage was decently priced at like 16.50 I believe. But ammo for my .40 cal pistol cost $40 or 50 dollars for 50 rounds!!! WTF?!?! I mean trying to find 30-40 rounds for my model 1898 Sprignfield Krag (The only bolt action side fed weapon ever used by the US army during 1898 Spanish- American War) used to be nearly impossible and the ammo (when I found it) cost about 1$ per round. But for .40 cal ammo as well? WTF?! When I told my mom this she told me my Grandpa said the same thing... I hope my Gpa can reload 7.62 rounds now besides the other ammo he does for as a hobby. Glad they live in the same neighborhood as me because their house will be our families bunker - HOT GURLS MAY APPLY FOR SPOUSEL POSITIONS IN NEAR FUTURE - Anyways it seems like ammo is been really really spiking up... =( *gulp*

Start buying your ammo online:

7.62x39 : Silver Bear

$.25 per round or less depending on the quality of ammo you want (plinking vs mil-grade)

.40 S&W

Less than $.30 per round...

Or do what I do... learn to reload. Go in half on a press with a friend. Or save up for your own.

I can reload my 10mm rounds for a FRACTION of the cost of new ammo. And if you go to a range where they leave the brass on the ground, you don't even have to pay for your casings.

I personally own a 10mm, .38S, .45, .50, 9mm, .40, and I just bought my first LCR .357/.38. And that's just the handguns...

I would go flat broke shooting all of them if I didn't reload my rounds... I didn't shoot my Kimber .38 Super for almost a whole year just because of the cost of ammo for that thing...
edit on 30-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

You are right, ammo prices have gone up.
They cannot take our guns but,..... they can tax the hell out of our ammo!!
Reloading is your friend.
I used to buy boxes of reloaded 45 acp for 5 bucks US, nowadays I don't even know.
I am glad I reload.

(Edit)
Hey wait a minute!!!
Taxing our ammo....
Boston ammo party anyone??!!

edit on 30-1-2012 by g146541 because: to add

edit on 30-1-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

All I can say is that they are passing all their haz-mat fees and shipping fees to the consumer. This is why I got into the reloading buisness. It is expensive at first, but quickly pays for it's self . Why ask "If they have it", when you know that you can make it. This is the price scale for our ammo---

9mm- $3.50 a box of 50
.38- 6.00 a box of 50
.40- $8.50 a box of 50

The only thing we buy is primers and powder. We cast our own bullets and get free brass and boxes from shooting ranges. You can get free lead from auto shops. The lead weights they use for wheels are up for grabs if you ask.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Generaly speaking, there's a Walmart somewhere near you....if you live in America.

Federal .40 S&W usually go anywhere from fifteen to nineteen dollars per box, depending on the sale. Unless you live in Manhattan and the price of ammo in New York has gotten that ridiculous.

I've never had a misfire with Federal. Good practice rounds. If you want fancier ammo, but a fancier ammo box to keep for more serious business.

As for 7.62, there's all kinds of websites for cheaper ammo. Get with people who've used those websites and can make recommendations.

Actually, there's more people buying more ammo that the prices of ammo have gone down. You just aren't doing good shopping or hanging around with the right people.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Seems to be the way they will "take" our weapons.....or many of them anyways.
I have noticed this as well.....Paid $29.50 for a 20 round box of 7.7x56mm (British 303)!

I have also been researching the Freedom Group....
www.nytimes.com...

In my opinion, and this is JUST my opinion of course......I think the two have something to do with each other.....(Freedom Group and ammo cost)

I am currently learning to re-load....soon, it seems, that may be the only option....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Reloading on your own also gives you an opportunity to make your own magnum rounds

Of course if your weapon's lock can handle it.
In case you get your hands on something that is loaded with .458 socom you will appreciate reloading even more

edit on 30-1-2012 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

link   
The Russian manufacture ammo is cheaper....but they are dirty rounds.

Clean your weapon if you go that route.

link   

Originally posted by hawkman25

The only thing we buy is primers and powder. We cast our own bullets and get free brass and boxes from shooting ranges. You can get free lead from auto shops. The lead weights they use for wheels are up for grabs if you ask.

Those would be balancing weights...

And I thought I was the only one that did that

They say something about great minds but it eludes me...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Funny I just had this same discussion with my grammy. She said that a box of ammo for her pistol was $25 now and she couldn't afford to go to the range anymore. I agreed. I used to go every other weekend at least. Now i just dont have the cash to go more than once a month.

If i shoot pistol I will always use up 150 rds plus, and a lot of targets. I change those out at about 10-15 rds. But my pistol ammo is now $28-32 a box, up from $18. Or 6x$28=$168 + $13.44tax+$10 range fee+ $10 targets

That's $201 before i even put the $70 a tank gas in to go there. Well over $100 an hour. Its crazy. Have been looking at a replacement 9mm barrel and mags to try to cut the long term costs and not give up a hobby I enjoy.

I suspect you were the victim of a local price gouger. That 12 ga should have been $8 or less.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkman25

Well,....
Here in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, we used to be able to walk into the local tire shop Etc. and walk out with a 50Lb bucket of lead every few days on any given day.
But....now we have found that LEAD IS TOXIC!!!
Sucks to be me as I have been handling the stuff almost a half century, I sure hope the toxic poisoning does not cut my life short...

Yep in Kali we use steel wheelweights and cannot give lead away, it must be documented and manifested and...
You see where I'm going with this I'm sure.
Still, reloading FTW.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Funny I just had this same discussion with my grammy. She said that a box of ammo for her pistol was $25 now and she couldn't afford to go to the range anymore. I agreed. I used to go every other weekend at least. Now i just dont have the cash to go more than once a month.

If i shoot pistol I will always use up 150 rds plus, and a lot of targets. I change those out at about 10-15 rds. But my pistol ammo is now $28-32 a box, up from $18. Or 6x$28=$168 + $13.44tax+$10 range fee+ $10 targets

That's $201 before i even put the $70 a tank gas in to go there. Well over $100 an hour. Its crazy. Have been looking at a replacement 9mm barrel and mags to try to cut the long term costs and not give up a hobby I enjoy.

I suspect you were the victim of a local price gouger. That 12 ga should have been $8 or less.

Tell me your make and model and I can help guide you to any barrel mods or other routes you may be able to take for a cheaper practice session...

Say the G word, and I can have you plinking for next to nothing in no time...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just to clarify, and not to be a thread hog but...
You folks do realize there are several "types" of ammo?
There are several "defense" and "target" loads.
Defense are generally higher pressure and specialty bullets, target are lower pressure and fmj, tmj, ball, lead Etc.
Of course any of them can kill but some are superior for target practice, especially when you get into the thousands or tens of thousands of rounds.
In short, some ammo is expensive for a reason as well.
edit on 30-1-2012 by g146541 because: spellar brokeded

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Just to clarify, and not to be a thread hog but...
You folks do realize there are several "types" of ammo?
There are several "defense" and "target" loads.
Defense are generally higher pressure and specialty bullets, target are lower pressure and fkj, tmj, ball, lead Etc.
Of course any of them can kill but some are superior for target practice, especially when you get into the thousands or tens of thousands of rounds.
In short, some ammo is expensive for a reason as well.

For defense rounds yes... but for target shooting you are actually somewhat incorrect...

There is a "power floor" and "power ceiling" in all competition shooting events.

The trick to the best accuracy and smoothest handling out of your pistol is to get the action working well-enough that you can use some quite UNDER-powered loads in your pistol.

Now for long range rifle shooting this is of course different... but not so with handguns. Hence why the .22LR is still the bread and butter marksman round (followed by the under loaded .45s)

Edit: to put it another way, if he is buying gun shop ammo, he probably isn't worried about a 1" group at 20 yards... He is probably trying to practice safe handling, accuracy, and to have a little fun.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yep, you do not want to practice often with hollow points, except occasionally. When I was young, everyone reloaded in the 70's and early 80's. I reloaded shotgun shells for dove hunting and skeet but prices went down enough that the time it took reloading wasn't worth it. Prices of metal have been high for a while which probably contributes to the increase. I haven't looked at the taxes on ammo? I'm sure they are up also.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
OK yeah I know reloading is cheaper and I can do it at my Gpa's but I don't think he can reload 7.62 rounds. In my SKS I can fire anything except that cheap crappy "Wolf" ammo. My Mossburg 12 guage works with anything and I'm a pro with it. But my .40 cal pistol is a peice of #!!! It's a .40 cal Hi-Point and the only reason I bought it was cuz the store which also sold the silencers for the pistols right across the aisle, even tho it's illegal in WA to fire a "silenced or suppressed" weapon; was because I wasn't sure about my background check and if it failed -you had to pay up front- you would only get 20% of what you paid for back so I acted all cautious even tho 2 days later I was able to pick it up. I should have bought the HK .40 that I really wanted. Anyways at first the Hi-Point "stovepiped" when I shot it almost every 3-5 rounds which is really dangerous so my Gpa repaired the extractor. Now my #ty Hi-Point just jams after I fire 3-5 rounds... truly an epic piece of # I deserve my money back. If anybody has suggestions how to fix this besides buying another pistol my ears are open lol.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
And about the lead... my uncle recently had a baby with down's, I dunno if it was because of their age but he went shooting ALOT and handled ALOT of lead...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
OK yeah I know reloading is cheaper and I can do it at my Gpa's but I don't think he can reload 7.62 rounds. In my SKS I can fire anything except that cheap crappy "Wolf" ammo. My Mossburg 12 guage works with anything and I'm a pro with it. But my .40 cal pistol is a peice of #!!! It's a .40 cal Hi-Point and the only reason I bought it was cuz the store which also sold the silencers for the pistols right across the aisle, even tho it's illegal in WA to fire a "silenced or suppressed" weapon; was because I wasn't sure about my background check and if it failed -you had to pay up front- you would only get 20% of what you paid for back so I acted all cautious even tho 2 days later I was able to pick it up. I should have bought the HK .40 that I really wanted. Anyways at first the Hi-Point "stovepiped" when I shot it almost every 3-5 rounds which is really dangerous so my Gpa repaired the extractor. Now my #ty Hi-Point just jams after I fire 3-5 rounds... truly an epic piece of # I deserve my money back. If anybody has suggestions how to fix this besides buying another pistol my ears are open lol.

I used to own a HP 9mm... was a great gun. The higher the load, the better. Blowbacks love hotter loads. And trust me... you CAN'T hurt that gun with a strong charge.

As per your jamming... try simply polishing the feed ramp. If that doesn't cure your ails, what magazine are you using?

The 10-rounders are NOTORIOUS for having to keep one round out (only load 9) or the spring will jam. Also, try widening your magazine lips ever so slightly... just enough to where you don't get the full "pinch and grind" you sometimes do with new HP magazines...

And if all else fails, your gun has a 100% no questions asked lifetime warranty. Send it back and they will either fix it or give you a new one with your serial # on it. HP and Bee Miller have GREAT customer support, people just never take the time to try with a $100 pistol.

Edit: And if he can't reload the 7.62x39s... I gave you a site with some comparable pricing and good shipping. Would save you an ass load over what you pay now...

Edit Edit: If you still get jams after all of that, there is only one cause... you are limp-wristing it. Hold that fugger in a proper grip (not a #ty saucer grip with your hand under the mag... hold it on both sides. The pad of your submissive hand will fit pretty snuggly in-between the pad and fingers of your dominant grip hand while holding the pistol). Keep your elbow slightly bent (if your elbow is completely locked, all the force from the blast goes to your hands and wrist, instead of being absorbed by your arms).

Let's try the mag and feed ramp first though... as those are well-known causes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join