It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim

Originally posted by capone1

Originally posted by humphreysjim

I like this. Im glad he was arrested. Don't post stupid /borderline troublesome comments on twitter. And it seems like a lot of crazy people tweet or facebook these little quotes before doing something awful.

You can't be serious?

Destroy has other slang meanings, aside from actually destroying America. How would one go about doing that anyway?

What's next, if I'm out with my mates and my friend sees a girl and says he wants to "tear her ass up", is he going to get arrested before he kills someone?

What if I tweeted "I would kill for a beer right now", you gonna send the cops round to get me before I go on a killing spree just for a beer?

Absolutely ridiculous. There would have to be way more evidence that these people were dangerous apart from some harmless twitter comments in order to put them under the radar. I mean please, digging up Marilyn Monroe? The world is going mad.

THEY ACTUALLY SEARCH HIM FOR SPADES

edit on 30-1-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

It's situational, obviously.

Let's say he was never arrested, and he got into America and DID committ a terrorist crime. What would you, or others say then? "He posted that on his twitter account and nobody did anything?!?!"

You want me to take seriously the possibility that he actually destroyed America after digging up the grave of Marilyn Monroe?

If so, I think it's YOU they should be keeping their eye on.

If your absurd scenario did play out, I'd treat it like every other crime committed that wasn't posted about jokingly on twitter.

You might as well say we should follow you around every second of every day just in case you do something. Well, what if we didn't and you killed someone?!

Get a grip, man.
edit on 30-1-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

It doesn't matter what they said about Marilyn Monroe. He said "Destroy America". Too bad. In this country, if you say that, and plan on traveling here, you will face consequences. And guess what, this kid will never be heard from again, and this will not be a big deal. But I feel good that somebody is detained when they say "I'm gonna destroy America". I don't give a #$%^ if it's lingo or not. The government is not gonna leave it up to "British lingo".
Hopefully he will be smarter the next time he tries to come here.
edit on 30-1-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2012 by capone1 because: typo

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What I find funny is digging up the Marilyn Monroe part. For one thing her remains are in a mausoleum, so the only way you could get to the coffin is if you were to use a jackhammer to crack open the space in the wall. I find that to be a little too much work to begin with.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is what happens when you are involved with so many wars, Americans have been made to server the U.S government and are scared silly about everything and anyone that might possibly somehow in someway be a threat to the U.S even if you are decrepit and 72yo.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here's another one...

What if somebody tweeted, "I'm gonna put a bomb in my underwear, and destroy America!!"

Oh wait, a terrorist DID try to do that. Sounds ridiculous at first glance. But some people are CRAZY.

So, if you are stupid enough to post a terrorist threat to America online, then maybe you should just stay home.

Some people on this site are so caught up in America being the bad guy that they forget how to analyze and understand a story correctly.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Although I agree detaining these British tourists was wrong, but yet it was for safety. You have to consider 9/11 and the vampup of security.

Marilyn Monroe is a Hollywood icon in America and as an American noticing a tourists all the way from Britain saying he wants to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe is offense. You do realize a tourist at all means is to show respect for a country an have class.

The two comments made by these Britain tourists was disrespectful and lowclass. Alot of tourists travel for many different reasons, as some tourists even have a reason to travel just to do terrorist acts.

Feel sorry for the Britain tourists if they had no bad intentions, but still have common sense. Most tourists from different nations don't post on public internet places saying they want to destroy that country they are touring and digup corpses. How suspicious. No wonder these morons were detained.

I don't care what conspiracy theorists said about 9/11 being setup because there are still non_citizen people who exist just to commit terror activity on a foreign land.
edit on 30-1-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is why i'd never go to the usa. I'd probably be thrown in jail for what i've written. I search bomb recipies and illegal weapon daily just to piss them off-.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Wow...
You people are really scared!
I agree, it's a sad state of being.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

there is a big difference in the slang of america and the uk , if the security people are going to monitor english peoples communications then they should learn english slang .

the slang word for a cigarette is FAG . so if you hear an english person saying that they are going outside to smoke a fag , they do not mean that they are going outside to shoot a gay person .

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

there is a big difference in the slang of america and the uk , if the security people are going to monitor english peoples communications then they should learn english slang .

the slang word for a cigarette is FAG . so if you hear an english person saying that they are going outside to smoke a fag , they do not mean that they are going outside to shoot a gay person .

This remind of an old movie... the only slang that people of that movie said was f*****, f**** this, on, off, up, down etc.. nothing beyond f world lol I was surprised how they could communicate using just one verb. Probably. the TSA guy think that only slang in english must be f**** word because English after all is an American invention.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Come on. Slang does not and should not matter when someone says "Im gonna destroy America."

When it comes to safety, is "destroy america" slang for a person about to travel here? Don't be an idiot and there wont be a problem.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Ummm yea no #$*&. Its the situation. He was about to fly to America. Not at a bar in a America needing a nicotine break.
Lingo doesn't matter when talking about terrorism in the USA.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
How did the US TSA/FBI know what they wrote on Twitter? Do they have a department that scans Tweets all day and then check airlines itinerary?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Yes and it's not exactly new either, it's old news.

They listen to terrorist chatter and check online too waiting to pick up on terrorist plots in advance to prevent them. This has been going on for decades but especially since 9/11.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Here's another one...

What if somebody tweeted, "I'm gonna put a bomb in my underwear, and destroy America!!"

Oh wait, a terrorist DID try to do that. Sounds ridiculous at first glance. But some people are CRAZY.

So, if you are stupid enough to post a terrorist threat to America online, then maybe you should just stay home.

Some people on this site are so caught up in America being the bad guy that they forget how to analyze and understand a story correctly.

Truth and it's sad to see.

Your last lines especially sum up ATS very nicely, well played sir. Star for you.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
How did the US TSA/FBI know what they wrote on Twitter? Do they have a department that scans Tweets all day and then check airlines itinerary?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Yes and it's not exactly new either, it's old news.

They listen to terrorist chatter and check online too waiting to pick up on terrorist plots in advance to prevent them. This has been going on for decades but especially since 9/11.

As it should be. Its easy to type from a computer in your moms basement that these people shouldn't be detained. How about thinking of those who have lost loved ones in terrorist plots? You're #$%& right I would detaine someone for tweeting something so insulting and offensive.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Come on. Slang does not and should not matter when someone says "Im gonna destroy America."

When it comes to safety, is "destroy america" slang for a person about to travel here? Don't be an idiot and there wont be a problem.

When someone says they will paint the town red, does that literally mean they will paint the town red?

Destroy in this context means to have a massive piss up.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
capone1, do you think that anyone would have given their statement a second thought 20 years ago? 50 years ago?

exactly. see the direction were heading in?
or really, see the direction that "they" are leading us in?

they are using fear to justify more and more force to control us.

i predict that soon, someone will be arrested for saying, "i could kill for a hamburger"

common sense is dead.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by repressed

When someone says they will paint the town red, does that literally mean they will paint the town red?

Destroy in this context means to have a massive piss up.

You can't be serious. It's the SITUATION. I could type hundreds of sarcasms/euphemisms like you just did that have nothing to do with this story.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
capone1, do you think that anyone would have given their statement a second thought 20 years ago? 50 years ago?

exactly. see the direction were heading in?
or really, see the direction that "they" are leading us in?

they are using fear to justify more and more force to control us.

i predict that soon, someone will be arrested for saying, "i could kill for a hamburger"

common sense is dead.

Unless we had the internet/twitter 50 years ago, your post doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
no # sherlock.
i'm saying that if they had said that statement and it was heard by the authorities 20-50 years ago you tit.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
On the off-chance that ATS's IP logs are ever forced to be handed over to any US watchdog agency, I'd just like to take this opportunity to retract any of my past posts, that may have inadvertantly caused offence, to any of the wonderful people in power, and their dedicated agencies, that keep that fine nation safe from all the crazy tweeters, Fbookers and forum posters!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join