It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror charges over Twitter jokes Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk

Two British tourists were barred from entering America after joking on Twitter that they were going to 'destroy America' and 'dig up Marilyn Monroe'.
Leigh Van Bryan, 26, was handcuffed and kept under armed guard in a cell with Mexican drug dealers for 12 hours after landing in Los Angeles with pal Emily Bunting.
The Department of Homeland Security flagged him as a potential threat when he posted an excited tweet to his pals about his forthcoming trip to Hollywood which read: 'Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America'.

Read more: www.dailymail.c...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Seems like the usual heavy handed antics from homeland security and the TSA. As per my previous thread on my experience how long before people start to avoid the states. I found going through your airports as enjoyable as attending a close family members funeral.

Regarding this story, destroy is commonly used for partying in the UK and digging up Maryln Munroe well come on, crap banter but really how would anyone take this seriously

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Lol, they will have to wait in line, as our current government is doing an outstanding job of it already
no pun intended.
As the other poster already said, more big brother scared to death with its citizens, but takes a blind eye to the problem from within

edit on 30-1-2012 by allprowolfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Oh, ok I must have done something wrong as I have just posted this under a less catchy headline. Keep this one then.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I like this. Im glad he was arrested. Don't post stupid /borderline troublesome comments on twitter. And it seems like a lot of crazy people tweet or facebook these little quotes before doing something awful.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Apparently, the TSA can take it seriously.

Whats more, this kind of repeated "phenomena" where people's casual communications are 'auto' flagged will lead NOT to the restriction of actions taken based upon such conversations; but instead, it will lead to declarations that 'tweeting' is like speaking in a public place and therefore "any comments" can be considered as "yelling 'FIRE' in a theater." We continue to migrate towards the shadow of oppressive oversight by strangers.

It's getting a bit Kafka-esque with our government "security" folks, isn't it? This time it was UK citizens... so the show will go on, albeit briefly.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
least he didn't say he was gonna spend some time bombing up and down the usa which doesn't have anything to do with explosives at all but would probably have given him a latex glove fear for the next 20 years once he'd landed

+26 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Amazing.

Minority Report anybody?

Now the TSA is coming after you for saying some stuff. Thought crimes? Welcome to 1984.

This needs to be done away with. The Government has NO right, at all, to detain you for something you said over the internet, especially a Twitter account, without evidence or significant suspicion of carrying out such an act.

~Tenth

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Note to self:

- never ever ever go to Amerika
- never ever ever open a Twitter Account

"They went through their suitcase to search for spades and shovels..". Damn this would be so funny if it would not be tragic. land of the free prisons, home of those who are afraid of their own shadows...

(not meant against the citizens who have to suffer from all this nonsens)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It just makes you think, just as well I posted my "I would love to kill Justin Beiber with a claw hammer" tweet after I visited Vegas or I would have been jailed as a potential assassin

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I just couldn't resist..........

+26 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
I like this. Im glad he was arrested. Don't post stupid /borderline troublesome comments on twitter. And it seems like a lot of crazy people tweet or facebook these little quotes before doing something awful.

You can't be serious?

Destroy has other slang meanings, aside from actually destroying America. How would one go about doing that anyway?

What's next, if I'm out with my mates and my friend sees a girl and says he wants to "tear her ass up", is he going to get arrested before he kills someone?

What if I tweeted "I would kill for a beer right now", you gonna send the cops round to get me before I go on a killing spree just for a beer?

Absolutely ridiculous. There would have to be way more evidence that these people were dangerous apart from some harmless twitter comments in order to put them under the radar. I mean please, digging up Marilyn Monroe? The world is going mad.

THEY ACTUALLY SEARCH HIM FOR SPADES

edit on 30-1-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This goes to show how your internet privacy is already shattered, even without SOPA. You can be sure everyone entering the country is googled & any anti-American rhetoric found online will mean a detainment & deportation when you arrive.

I guess a lot of us on ATS will have to be weary about booking a flight to the US, as even a quote from Family Guy is taken out of context & used against the couple.

I feel sorry for a lot of Americans who are anti-government, you can be sure your names are in some form of threat database.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Lucky he didn't get detained indefinitely without trial while they searched for the real beef on him.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree with you, but the TSA and DHS does not. As you may have noticed in an earlier comment. People have actually been led to believe that professional terrorists and ne'er-do-wells spend their time leaving clues to their ill intentions on public mediums of exchange.

The reality is those that do such things are usually emotionally-challenged mentally-atrophied people (yeah, they're all over the place) who may be subconsciously looking to get caught - or at least stopped.

But none of that matters in the world of fear... which is where the establishment want's us to live... it's easier for them that way.

Governing a people without fear isn't hard... controlling people without fear is very hard. These "leaders" seem to take (or make) the easy way...every time.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well, considering all terrorists are known for tweeting their upcoming attacks, this just makes sense

What a bunch of idiots. No wonder the USA is falling to pieces. Do they purposely employ retards?
I'm ashamed to be lumped together with these morons who claim they are Americans!
Land of the free, and home of the brave my ass!
Land of the blind, home of the offended is more like it!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
In all seriousness what does this tell us, dont use twitter or facebook, dont make any comments online that could be misconstrued. I dont see where this will end, makes me worry about some of the comments I have made on ATS, I dont think I will be planning any holidays to Israel any time soon

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
People need to choose their words very carefully....and really be more selective about what they joke about.

With the recent passing of the NDAA here in the U.S.; I think we may be seeing more of this.

Even though I think those 2 young people were just using the slang of their country...and really don't mean any harm to America...they were very foolish in their messages.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

They were indeed very foolish. However, is foolishness an offence? If so, then most of the world is in serious trouble!

Next time i visit the states i definitely won't be wearing my "TSA is an equal opportunity employer - they take all the retards" sticker!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate666
Oh, ok I must have done something wrong as I have just posted this under a less catchy headline. Keep this one then.

Oh man i know how that feels, posted about US military going to Israel - 8 flags, someone else posts it, 160 flags

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join