It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take Shelter - A movie for end timers/survivalists/2012ers/paranoics (sp?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm sorry if this has been talked about before but I did a search, and found only one thread which for some curious reason was in the current events forum. I commented but thought it was worth a thread of its own. It's been out a while now. Very ATS subject matter!

Anyway,

Absolutely superb movie. I finished watching it about half hour ago and I feel all cold sweaty.

This is the imdb synopsis:

"Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself".

IMDB - Take Shelter

It's rated 7.9 I'd have to give it an 8.5

This is the trailer:

Michael Shannon was utterly brilliant as the father. Haunting performance. His missus was also excellent, and gorgeous, to boot.

I shall not be saying too much about what happened as not to spoil. The above synopsis and trailer gives enough away, anyway.

Rent it, or leech it, but watch it. Wicked film!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm going to watch this movie because I am very intrigued by the subject. It would be a HUGE letdown though if it turns out the danger only exists in his head and this is some sort of attempt to make preppers look stupid.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I watched this yesterday and was most impressed.

It was a great story that rang quite true for myself it portrays what a lot of us think on ATS and the rest of the people thinking we are nuts.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SergeantTrammelant
I'm going to watch this movie because I am very intrigued by the subject. It would be a HUGE letdown though if it turns out the danger only exists in his head and this is some sort of attempt to make preppers look stupid.

My silence could either confirm or the opposite
I'm saying nout except , wicked film.

ETA: I will say though that absolutely nobody is belittled or made fun of by the movie's maker. A very well done piece of art. Very realistic in both the man's reactions to his experiences, and people's reactions to him.
edit on 30-1-2012 by lazernation because: add

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
im sold, am downloading this right now.. i always trust ATS members movie recomendations. i am almost positive im going to love it
cheers fellas

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lazernation

OK, mods, you deleted my comment that there was nothing of substance in the original presenting of this thread. That was outright censorship. In my view, the proper position you should have take was to leave my post as it was sent and add a comment that the OP had added additional info and a vid to the OP.

So who made the mistake here, me in complaining that it was another thread without substance or the OP in his poor opener? That is two deletions of my posts in two days. Is our lovely relationship about over?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I made the mistake of accidentally submitting the post before I was finished. I didn't even know I'd done it until finishing and posting then looking at the thread listing.

You made the mistake of trying to moderate a thread. I think you need to take a break.

Unless you have something to say about the movie in question, of course.

Here are the writer's thoughts:

"When I began writing TAKE SHELTER in the summer of 2008, I was in the middle of my first year of marriage. Although both my career and personal life were on a positive track, I had a nagging feeling that the world at large was heading for harder times. This free-floating anxiety was part economic, part just growing up, but it mainly came from the fact that I finally had things in my life that I didn't want to lose. All of these feelings filtered directly into the characters of this film.

TAKE SHELTER follows Curtis LaForche, a working class husband and father, as he deals with the panic that arises from a series of terrifying dreams. For Curtis, these dreams are either harbingers of a supernatural storm, or early symptoms of something he's feared his entire life. Curtis' strongest, most immediate reaction is to protect his family, his wife Samantha and their six-year-old daughter Hannah. The question for Curtis becomes, what is he protecting them from, the storm or himself?

I wrote TAKE SHELTER because I believed there was a feeling out in the world that was palpable. It was an anxiety that was very real in my life, and I had the notion it was very real in the lives of other Americans as well as other people around the world. This film was a way for me to talk about that fear and that anxiety. I hope there is an answer to this feeling by the end of the film. I believe there is, and it's the reason that this wonderful group of people came together to help me make TAKE SHELTER".

-Jeff Nichols

Sounds like a cool bloke. I'll have to have a look for his other shizzle.

It's not that the film is exactly 'topical', its just timely, if that's not too contradictory.
I'm not sure there is an answer at the end either, but would love to hear other's thoughts once they have seen the fillum! I need to sleep on it.

edit on 30-1-2012 by lazernation because: Eds statement

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Nice one lazer, looks like an awesome film.
Didn't realise it existed!

new topics

top topics

join