It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know your enemy ... the Daily Mail & Viscount Rothermere

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I'm fed up, fed up to the back teeth of ATS contributors hooking up to that dreadful, gutter rag that is the British newspaper, the Daily Mail. Time and time again, ATS contributors here present everything that damned newspaper says as the plain truth, as if words being given to them from on high by some benevolent supreme being.

I wouldn't have minded if it were only the right wing English Defence League lunatics here who quoted verbatim from that newspaper (you know who you are). But now I see Americans quoting from it too, indeed it's just overtaken the New York Times as being the world's most popular online newspaper.

So what is the Daily Mail ?

I'll tell you what it is. It's the mouthpiece of the British radical right. It is the least progressive, most right wing, most reactionary newspaper in British media. Yet because it plays "just" within the rules (unlike some of the Murdoch stable), the British establishment love it, it's their most favourite mechanism by which they can control the political agenda of the United Kingdom.

Everyone follows the Mail. The media trail around in it's wake like a lost puppy. The BBC are craven in their indulgence of that damned newspaper, every morning, noon and night they quote from it in "newspaper review" pieces on their (awful) rolling news channel.

So who owns it ?

Daily Mail & General Trust plc, a company.

And who controls that ?

One man, Harold Jonathan Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere. Educated at establishment faves, Gordonstoun & Duke, here's the man who has it all. Born rich beyond the dreams of avarice, as an individual he's worth over £1 billion, he's the man you're funding everytime you quote from that damned newspaper, he's the current puppetmeister le grande who pulls your strings and makes so many of you think the way you do.

Do us all a favour. Cut the strings. Don't quote from that newspaper here. Choose any other newspaper (within reason), resist the temptations of flags & stars and all the tawdry little baubles you get for parroting that newspaper ... think out of the box and consign the Daily Mail to the bin, huh ?

Why don't you even pick up a foreign language ? Try Le Monde, Liberation ? Die Welt, El Pais, Buenos Aires Herlad ... anything other than the British Daily Mail.

I beg you, simply for my own sanity if nothing else.

Please don't move to Rant, BTS, it's a backwater, no-one will read.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
you managed to put into words everything that i feel when i see a daily mail link in a thread!

s+f for you!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Why don't you even pick up a foreign language ? Try Le Monde, Liberation ? Die Welt, El Pais, Buenos Aires Herlad ... anything other than the British Daily Mail.

Why would I want to read some foreign rag, owned by foreign toffs and corporations and spewing their corporate agendas, when I could do just the same by reading the Daily Mail.

In fact, why read any corporate owned rag at all?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I thought this may compliment your brilliant thread

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I don't think that the popularity of the mail online is down to it's news content. Just take a look down the right hand side to see why it's so popular. It is where the masses can get their celebrity news. It also covers a lot of American celebrity news, hence why it's so popular in the states.

Having said that , I agree with your sentiments on the Daily Fail. It's amazing how the comments page on the Mail online can resemble some of the right wing knee jerk reactionary posts on ATS.

It was also the Daily Mail who were sympathetic to Oswald Mosely and the British Union of Fascists.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You have chosen to discredit the daily mail.

Is there any news agency that you would like to recommend to us?

From what I have seen over the years there isn't really any credible news reporting left.

One main news supplier is spoon-feeding every other news reporter to tell us what they want us to know and to bury what they don't want us to know.

Why just attack the Daily Mail?
edit on 30-1-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I agree with OP. But I'm not sure that many people from the US have seen the newspaper, they have only read the web version which is mostly celebrity based. For sure you do get reactionary headlines in the web edition, but IMO they tone it down a bit.

Despite my dislike for the Daily Mail and what it stands for, it has clearly seen a gap in the market and carved out its own piece of success on the web. In fact it wouldn't be surprising if in 10 years time the print edition didn't exist any more.

In summary the Daily Mail's reactionary position, populism and its little regard for the truth means its not to be trusted as a serious news source,

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

If I could star you a thousand times I would sit here all day hitting those stars!

I despair every time I see a link to one of their vitriol filled "articles" telling the sheeple who to hate this week. As if to add insult to injury, one only has to glance through the comments on each article to really get the blood pressure going! According to the Mail everything will give you cancer and the list of "underclasses" we should all throw rotten fruit at just keeps growing:

Single Parents
The Unemployed
The Disabled
Homosexuals
Muslims
Ex Offenders
Lefties
Europhiles
Immigrants
Jeremy Clarkson (even though he tends to spout the values they hold dear)
The young
The old
Anyone who ISN'T David "The saviour of all mankind" Cameron

I could go on but there's a little green box telling me I only have 4000 odd characters left!

Spot on m8, S+F for you!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
I'm fed up, fed up to the back teeth of ATS contributors hooking up to that dreadful, gutter rag that is the British newspaper, the Daily Mail. Time and time again, ATS contributors here present everything that damned newspaper says as the plain truth, as if words being given to them from on high by some benevolent supreme being.

Originally posted by Britguy
In fact, why read any corporate owned rag at all?

To gauge what MSM want the masses to know, how the news outlets manipulate and steer public opinion? Ignoring MSM, including the Mail, won't equip anyone with knowledge about attitudes and values of both the editorials and the readership.

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It's amazing how the comments page on the Mail online can resemble some of the right wing knee jerk reactionary posts on ATS.

I do not disagree with the knee jerk sentiment but come on, most ATS are better informed and more aware of media manipulation than is the norm!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
hello there!
Interresting thread. thanks OP. here is something i came accross a few months ago : www.projectcensored.org...
it's a list of "independant" news sources. guess what? the daily fail isn't listed...
first post! i think it's time for me to share something.

edit on 30-1-2012 by mauriceriguel because: first post precision...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
After listening to daily fails zionist slapper (Melanie Phillipson) on question time the other night. I wont ever be buying their paper again. Not that i ever did before.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The Nazi Mail is the most vile and disgusting newspaper in the UK, without a doubt.
They are so unashamedly racist, biased and Right-Wing that it's almost laughable.

Good thread OP

edit on 30/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

you refer to the newspaper as a Nazi.

goodwins/henderson's law?

then i see your avatar.

says it all really.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

you refer to the newspaper as a Nazi.

It's a joke.. to show how awful and racist they are, and I didn't refer to the paper as a Nazi... I said it's the Nazi Mail, there's a difference.

then i see your avatar.

says it all really.

What does it say?

What do you get from my avatar?
edit on 30/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It is very user friendly, photogenic, has lots of girls in bikinis, and has interesting articles that many other online "rags" don't have. I could also roll out a list of why the NY Times is a propaganda ridden rag (which I also look at).
Something doesn't have to be "right wing" to be controlled content. NPR is extremely biased. Just because it isn't over the top about its propaganda doesn't mean it is objective.
Any individual who is remotely awake is aware that media outlets are at best biased, and at worst pure propaganda. At least the Daily Mail does it in a fashion that is entertaining.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
S&F
But like many have said, why just that one?

I over heard a conversation once, it went like this.
"The Sun, thats for people who dont know what they're talking about, you should read the Gaurdian"

the reply made me laugh.

"The Gaurdian is for peoople who THINK they know what they're talking about."

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

oh my god

if you think the mail is racist pick up a copy of mein kampf i mean seriously, im not sayings its not a teeny bit but acting like its a weekly publication of mein kampf is stupid i bet your a student or some hippe

please seriously go read mein kampf

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more. Yet another illuminati/ Khazar controlled media spewing garbage news.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

It's always a shame to see somebody so fanatical that they want to silence anyone who does not walk in lock step with them.

Even though I don't care for the Daily Mail or the Internet version either, I'm even more opposed to narcissists and people who do not believe in Free Speech unless that speech agrees with them.

This is just a "rant" and contrary to your plea, it does belong under the Rant banner.

Good luck on your quest to dictate to everyone what they should read and believe.

edit on 1/30/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3velutionR3quired

oh my god

if you think the mail is racist pick up a copy of mein kampf i mean seriously, im not sayings its not a teeny bit

What? Why should I read Mein Kampf?

The Nazi Mail, The Daily Fail... there are several nicknames that are used about the Daily Mail.
(The Daily Hate, The Daily Heil, The Daily Bile, The Daily Hate Mail, The Fascist Manifesto and The Daily Fail)

Although the Nazi Mail actually has some truth to it.

Lord Rothermere was a friend and supporter of both Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, which influenced the Mail's political stance towards them during the 1930s.[26][27] Rothermere's 1933 leader "Youth Triumphant" praised the new Nazi regime's accomplishments, and was subsequently used as propaganda by them.[28]

The Nazi Mail

And some of their articles, even of late, are just awful.

Remember the article about Stephen Gately? Sick.

In fact I'd read Mein Kampf any day over this piece of ****

but acting like its a weekly publication of mein kampf is stupid i bet your a student or some hippe

please seriously go read mein kampf

Actually believing that it's only a "tiny bit" racist or offensive is stupid.
And not knowing what you're talking about also makes you look stupid.

To be honest I'm neither... I'm 32 and neither a student nor a hippie....
But thanks for taking an interest.

edit on 31/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join